News:

• May 02, 2024, 03:29:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Klass Kote application method?  (Read 6130 times)

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Klass Kote application method?
« on: March 16, 2009, 07:14:56 PM »
Considering using Klass Kote 2-part epoxy on a new project. Polyspan and silkspan covering. Having never used it before, a few basic questions occur to me:

1. Is the Klass Kote  epoxy primer required under the color coat? Or can dope finish be used in the traditional way right up through the grey dope primer, thus using the epoxy only for the final finish coats?

2. How long is it necessary to wait before applying tape onto the white base coat for the trim colors? The Klass Kote web site says a stonger, "fused" bond occurs if the next coat is applied within 48 hours, but is that hard-set enough to avoid tape marks?

3. KK says HVLP guns can be used to good effect. Not knowing how viscous the KK is, will I need to start over calibrating the gun or will the settings I use for dope (thinned 4 to 1) get me pretty close to correct?

Thanks to anyone who has used this product.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
Re: Klass Kote application method?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 01:15:12 PM »
Mike; Since no one else has posted I will give you my 2 cents. I have not used Klass Kote, but did use a lot of K&B Superpoxy, and Hobby Poxy back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. From what I know they are very much alike. I used Aerogloss clear to apply the covering, mostly silk back then, and to build up the base. I then sprayed the color coats of epoxy right over the dope with no primer. I generally waited a few days for the dope to gas off some before spraying the epoxy colors. I have always used drafting tape for masking, and I never had a proplem with masking the next day after shooting the base coat of epoxy. If I were to do it today I would use nitrate dope only as the epoxy will stick much better, and it gasses off much quicker than butyrate. One thing I forgot to mention is to sand the dope with at least 400 grit wet before applying the epoxy. I have planes that are 30 years old finished this way that still look almost as good as when they were first painted.
Jim Kraft

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 01:08:59 PM »
I also used a lot of K&B Superpoxy. If Klasskote is anything like it, you will need some sort of blocking coat over the dope but under the color coats. The K&B was pretty transparent.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Pinecone

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 12:31:02 PM »
If you look a the Test Results tab on the Klass Kote page, you will see testing done by Dav Platt, including taping.

He found that sprayed onto glass, he could not get the paint to lift, even when it was still soft enough to be marked by the tape.
Terry Carraway
AMA 47402

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 11:41:16 PM »
Considering using Klass Kote 2-part epoxy on a new project. Polyspan and silkspan covering. Having never used it before, a few basic questions occur to me:

1. Is the Klass Kote  epoxy primer required under the color coat? Or can dope finish be used in the traditional way right up through the grey dope primer, thus using the epoxy only for the final finish coats?

2. How long is it necessary to wait before applying tape onto the white base coat for the trim colors? The Klass Kote web site says a stonger, "fused" bond occurs if the next coat is applied within 48 hours, but is that hard-set enough to avoid tape marks?

3. KK says HVLP guns can be used to good effect. Not knowing how viscous the KK is, will I need to start over calibrating the gun or will the settings I use for dope (thinned 4 to 1) get me pretty close to correct?

Thanks to anyone who has used this product.

Sorry Mike, I didn't see this until now.

I have only a few examples of KlassKote but they have turned out pretty good. I used Superpoxy Primer over the clear dope.  After experiences of my own, and seeing other's problems, I would try to avoid any butyrate dope underneath the epoxy, so I would presume that gray dope is out. I would make up some gray or silver/white epoxy with white and black, or white and silver (so it actually blocks). I didn't use a blocking coat and at least Klasskote white covers better than K&B.

I would expect that 24 hours is plenty to wait for masking as long as it's reasonably warm. It's not as fast to harden as K&B but overnight is enough to handle the airplane. I wouldn't be concerned about adhesion between the coats of epoxy. I would be very concerned about pulling it away from underlying butyrate, if you used that.

The viscosity of the paint varies with the color. The Klasskote White, for example, comes out of the can somewhere between honey and cake icing. Adding the hardener thins it considerably, but with a regular gun, I ended up with about 1:1:.9 color:reducer:thinner, and that still orange-peeled a bit. Same with red, and it was much thinner. I wouldn't say I had a good answer on how to determine the thinner, but i do know that there is *no chance* that you could spray it on a stunt plane at a reasonable weight with the recommended levels of thinner (like 20%!). Maybe if you were painting a car and could really lay it on there, but no way when you are trying to dust it on.

I was very satisfied with the results. I had one problem but that was due to excess use of Flex-All in the nitrate,  trying to reduce a starved horse problem on the fuselage.

Brett

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 09:53:57 PM »
Thanks Brett, this is the kind of hands-on experience I was looking for. I had a bad experience recently with all the dope coats lifting with the tape using buty color over a Rustoleum grey primer. Evidently dope does not adhere well to whatever the Rustoleum primer is. Thus, I want to try some other approach on a model where I am going for a third-row finish (if I am lucky). Klass Kote does make grey primer so it is probably advisable to use their product, and also try to get ahold of Dave Platt.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 11:26:35 PM »
According to the KlassKote website (and my own experience) their material is completely interchangeable with HobbyPoxy and K&B Superkote (but NOT the later Ultrakote).  So far as I know Rustoleum is an enamel, so it polymerizes.  Thus, the solvents in other paints won't "bite".  In fact, I tried to paint some Rustoleum as a trim color a week after final color coat of Rustoleum, and it didn't stick - literally peeled right off with the mask!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 06:42:18 PM »
When I was using HobbyPoxy, and K@B Superpoxy, I did not use primer as such, but instead used white with the flat hardener. It was much easier to sand as you did not need to break that galze on the shiney hardener. Made a nice undercoat for the rest of the finish.
Jim Kraft

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 11:15:49 AM »
When I was using HobbyPoxy, and K@B Superpoxy, I did not use primer as such, but instead used white with the flat hardener. It was much easier to sand as you did not need to break that galze on the shiney hardener. Made a nice undercoat for the rest of the finish.

I don't think I understand - the K&B Superpoxy primer is dead flat, not shiny, and dead easy to sand - far easier than talc/dope, the old lacquer-based gray auto primer, just about anything. I still use the K&B primer because it's superior to just about anything else I have found. I sprayed 7 ounces (mass) on my last airplane, and sanded off about 5 and a half of it in two evenings - dead easy, although I am still vacuuming up the white dust 3 years later.

Ultrapoxy primer was pretty good, too, but it *was* shiny because there was no special hardener. But it, too, was very easy to sand. My buddy Uncle Jimby prefers the Ultrapoxy but it's essentially unobtainable.

I never used Hobbypoxy primer so I can't comment on that.

Brett

Offline Al Rabe

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 03:38:27 PM »
I did a longish piece on the other place regarding KlassKote compatibility.  KlassKote and K&B are not compatible.  The wost situation is using KlassKote thinner with K&B.  K&B colors sorta work with KlassKote hardener and thinner looks good and seems to work and harden OK but this mix doesn't get quite as hard and straight KlassKote.  I used K&B colors anyway figuring it will all be OK after the poly clear is on.

Sharpie ink lines will wipe off of KlassKote but not K&B colors with KlassKote hardener and thinner.  I've been correcting mistakes with scraping and sanding which I figure will all disappear under the clear.

Al

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 05:00:14 PM »
Sorry Brett; I did not mean that the primer was glossy. I just skipped the primer and used the flat white as an undercoat which was wet sanded. Much easier to sand the flat white than glossy white. Our local hobby shop did not stock the primer so never tried it. One coat of the flat white wet sanded was generally good enough to do the final finish.
Jim Kraft

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 09:15:50 PM »
I did a longish piece on the other place regarding KlassKote compatibility.  KlassKote and K&B are not compatible.  The wost situation is using KlassKote thinner with K&B.  K&B colors sorta work with KlassKote hardener and thinner looks good and seems to work and harden OK but this mix doesn't get quite as hard and straight KlassKote.  I used K&B colors anyway figuring it will all be OK after the poly clear is on.

Sharpie ink lines will wipe off of KlassKote but not K&B colors with KlassKote hardener and thinner.  I've been correcting mistakes with scraping and sanding which I figure will all disappear under the clear.

That's pretty much what I found, not compatible if you mix the constituents. Superpoxy needs it's own thinner which is a limiting factor right now.  Despite everybody saying it works, I never had any luck mixing Hobbypoxy and Superpoxy parts, either.

They do work just fine putting one over the other, I have all three on my recent airplanes. I can also confirm that the scraping/sanding the ink does indeed just disappear when you put the clear on. I had the same problem (with Rapidograph ink, not sharpie, but same issue).

Brett

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 09:18:13 PM »
Sorry Brett; I did not mean that the primer was glossy. I just skipped the primer and used the flat white as an undercoat which was wet sanded. Much easier to sand the flat white than glossy white. Our local hobby shop did not stock the primer so never tried it. One coat of the flat white wet sanded was generally good enough to do the final finish.

Oh, the primer was the best part! I would use the primer even if I was going to use dope later. I have enough primer to last me several lifetimes at my current rate of production, thinner is the limiting factor right now. I haven't been able to find the Devoe thinner yet, but i haven't tried very hard, either.

Brett

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 07:34:19 AM »
Oh, the primer was the best part! I would use the primer even if I was going to use dope later. I have enough primer to last me several lifetimes at my current rate of production, thinner is the limiting factor right now. I haven't been able to find the Devoe thinner yet, but i haven't tried very hard, either.

Brett

Dang! I always miss out on the good stuff.
Jim Kraft

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 06:27:17 AM »
I had a question in the KK forum, thanks Kim for sending me here. Has anyone had any experience with KK applied to open bays? I think it will be ok, underlayment all nitrate, KK primer, really thin on open structure, then KK colors. I've used HobbyPoxy on Racing and Carrier planes, up to 50% nitro and no problems (except if raw fuel(50%) gets on the paint and is allowed to stay there overnight, it discolors).
My main reason for the epoxy is I want an absolutely fuel proof finish.
Thanks,
dg

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here