News:

• April 30, 2024, 05:14:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ... Iron Paint...  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
... Iron Paint...
« on: June 22, 2012, 01:30:07 PM »

I think that it was Jack Sheek's that used this term for iron on coverings.
 I am totally in the dark with this type of covering, so I am askin what you fellow's like and why do you like it.
  I need brand names, availability, how to apply and any other info that I can get.

Thanks a lot...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
Re: ... Iron Paint...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 02:33:34 PM »
   I'm fairly new to all of this ,but I've had success with both Monokote and Ultracote(oracover). I've also used Econokote on foam with no problems. I think Ultracote has a wider range as far as heat when applying(start fairly low, higher each time you tighten it). Monokote seems to stick to itself better(when doing trim schemes).
   I haven't tried any of the Coverite film, tissue or fabric.
   You might build a small wing section to practice on as far as how much heat and how to do wingtips.

Hope this helps
Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 02:48:13 PM »
It's a lot quicker to do a sorta-good job with iron-on.  No matter what you use, doing a truly superb job is going to take lots of time, and I suspect that the iron-ons are a lot less reparable if you're trying to keep the finish superb.

But since I'm still in the "crashes a lot" phase, iron-on is for me.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 03:00:44 PM »
  I am also in the "crash a lot" phase. I repair any small tears or holes  with sign vinyl(contrasting color).One, you know where to watch for possible structural damage and two, its sort of the "red badge' of courage. When the plane starts to look like its covered in polka dots its probably time to recover.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 09:14:15 PM »
Hi Gil,

In the past (and even now) I have used Monocoat and Econocoat.  I don't especially like any of them, but they are a much quicker way of finishing than anything else.  I understand that Monocoat is not the same as it was when I started using it and is a little tougher to use now.

I do like Phil C.'s SLC as a covering for open bays where I put silkspan over it.  It makes the wing much more puncture resistant than simple silkspan and you still finish it like silkspan!

Anyway, be prepared to practice some to get it respectable. ;D

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here