News:

• May 09, 2024, 04:42:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Iron On Finish  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Iron On Finish
« on: March 13, 2009, 02:12:21 PM »
So, I haven't done an iron on finish in a very, very long time. This is going to be a dope and silkspan fuse with plastic on the flying surfaces. I did the control surfaces last night (flaps and elevator). It has been a very long time. Does transparent iron on shrink more than the opaque stuff? Seems that the surface was pretty loose with just the edges tacked down when I hit it with the heat gun. Then it was WHAM, tight as a drum. I was never very good with Monokote, but it seems harder than it used to be. Oh well, it will be what it is. I've seen Dirty Dan do some really nice Monokote finishes (a couple of time almost indistinguishable from paint). Clearly it's a developed skill. I suppose I'll get better at it as I go along. I hope so.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Iron On Finish
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 07:51:02 PM »
Believe it or not, Walter Umland is a master finisher with MonoKote. I've seen some pics. Unbelievable.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 06:07:48 PM »
OK, new (and somewhat weird) question:

So I had this partial roll of what I thought was transparent yellow Monokote. I ordered some more from Tower and went ahead and covered the control surfaces. I get the roll today and it's not the same color. The stuff I have is a lot more of an orangey yellow (maybe chrome yellow?) and has some sort of glitter or something in it. The stuff from Tower is just yellow.

Could it be that the stuff I have is something else. Maybe pearl or metallic or something? It's definitely transparent, but is sort of, as I say, glittery.

I've had this roll a very, very long time. could it just be old? Or is there a transparent pearl yellow out there?

Any thoughts?
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 11:18:06 PM »
Perhaps you can't count on the color being consistent from batch to batch. I'd suggest emailing TF (or Great Planes) to see what's going on. Maybe they know of the problem; and you could be right - The new one is not Transparent Yellow!

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 11:36:06 PM »
Ralph,

Well, after some research, I'm convinced that it's either a discontinued color or they've changed the color of the yellow. Wish I had more of the original stuff. It's kinda cool. Sigh...

I suspect I'll just finish out the plane and if the new stuff just looks too weird against the old stuff, I'll strip off the old stuff and recover the control surfaces with the new stuff.

Man, it's been a very long time since I did an iron on finish. I'm really out of practice.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Terry Bolin

• Captain
  • Havin' the time of our lives!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 07:24:19 AM »
Randy, I have not seen a big or notable change in colors from roll to roll. I bet you have two different color choices. Also, You may be happier applying a 3/4" wide strip of "Stik-It" to the leading, trailing and next to the fus before applying monokote. Monokote is what I use but I have other people in the clubs that like the Hanger 9 covering better. It seems to go around the wing tips better. Less wrinkles.
Good luck , Terry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here