News:

• May 02, 2024, 03:55:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Iron on Films  (Read 986 times)

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Iron on Films
« on: March 30, 2009, 05:10:50 PM »
I have used Monokote since it made it first appearance in the mid 60's. However, since the Great Planes takeover something has changed. The Monokote now just doesn't shrink very well and it makes covering large parts diffcult and small parts enraging! It also does not negotiate around curved edges like it use to, I used to be able to feel it expand as I heated it, but its minimal now. It also takes so much concentrated heat now, I'm afraid I'll melt the foam cares in my wing and still have loose areas. I've used a few other products, but Monokote always worked for me so I never made a permanent change, I need something new now!

Please, no "how to's", I've been contracted to cover 1/3 scale aerobatics models for other flyers, the quality of my work and experience level are not the issue.

What is the best film available now? I know, pretty general question, but I'd like to know what others are experiencing. I'm talking to you guys that are good with films and have used allot of the competitive brands. Is Ultracoat the way to go now?

Thanks,
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Iron on Films
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 08:49:35 PM »
Randy, I only use iron on coverings for sport planes, and then only for the wing. I've tried several including Ultracoat and I still like MonoKote the best. But you're right, it has changed somewhat since the GP takeover.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 08:46:47 AM »
I'm probably going to use up what Monokote I have and probably not buy any more. Every Monokote plane I have has issues with the covering loosing up (yes I did try and stretch it as much as I could when I put it on). Even just sitting in my shop, one day I'll tighten everything up then a few days later I look over and it's all wrinkled and loose again. Covered my first airplane with Ultracote last spring and it still looks like it did the day I finished it..

I like a few things about Monokote, for example using windex to apply trim. It works with Ultracote but not as well. Monokote is available in more colors, it's shinner and maybe a little tougher but right now I'm thinking Ultracote..

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 11:06:03 AM »
While not being a great help, you might try to buy some of the older Monokote from that big auction site. Still hit and miss but i bet much of it is the older stuff.

Sounds to me as though they must be using a different type of mylar. Most of the colors in the past were in the adhesive and used clear mylar. I think some of the newer colors might have the mylar tinted. Not sure.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 06:55:01 PM »
My biggest beef with Monocote has always been that different colors handle differently.  Some seem to be thicker, some stretch/shrink better than others, and sometimes the same color from batch to batch behave differently.

Time to change...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here