News:

• April 28, 2024, 09:44:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Iron on covering  (Read 637 times)

Offline Jerry Rauch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Iron on covering
« on: December 11, 2009, 06:07:45 PM »
Ok, here goes, do any of you guys use an iron on covering, then dope over that? I don't like the look of Monokote (too plastic looking). I've tried the old silk (chinese) and dope method, (don't like the dope run thru the fabric deal). Years ago (30 some odd) I built a Top Flite Corsair for my brother, and covered it with some type of iron on covering (can't remember what it was), then painted it with some type of Hobbypoxy, then silver, then something called Floquill. It really looked great. I wish I could remember what the iron on was, it worked well. I'm going to start building an old Sig Ryan STA soon, and want the correct look.
I builta Midwest Super Stearman awhile back and used Coverite, but I didn't like the Red color available, much less, they don't offer paint in the same colors as their coverings.   Any suggestions?

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: Iron on covering
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 07:46:39 PM »
SLC (Super Light Covering) sold by Corehouse is made for exactly what you wish to do. It's a very thin mylar (adhesive-coated) which has been etched to accept paint. The most common procedure seems to be to cover with SLC, then cover that with 00 or GM silkspan and finish with whatever pleases you.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 10:01:35 PM »
I'm sure I understand the point of covering with mylar then again with silkspan. Puncture resistant is the ony advantage I see to it, but Polyspan is pretty darn strong too. So why cover it twice? For those that love the finishing process?
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 10:28:45 PM »
Who makes or sells the Polyspan?  Is that the one that looks like silkspan? H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 09:26:12 AM »
Yes it looks like silkspan.  Try Jim Snelson at CLC(Control Line Central).    Put the super light silkspan over SLC.  Does two things.  1. Looks like silkspan.  2.  Takes less dope or whatever clear you use to put it down.  Now I thought of a third, less filler coats.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here