News:

• May 02, 2024, 08:02:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HVLP gun and spraying dope  (Read 784 times)

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
HVLP gun and spraying dope
« on: April 14, 2010, 11:45:37 AM »
Ok, just about ready to put a finish on a model and intend to use a HVLP gun for the first time.
My concern is the gun has a max operating pressure of 43 psi and I am not sure as to whether
I will have to thin down the dope, aerogloss, to get a good flow from the gun. The dope appears
to be quite thin straight from the can. I do plan to experiment prior to putting a finish on the aeroplane
But to be on the safe side I thought I would check in with those who have been there and done that.

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: HVLP gun and spraying dope
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 02:26:27 PM »
Scott,

It depends on the gun. Needle size (orifice) and pressure along with paint feed make a difference. Take a test panel (I usually use an old paint or fuel can) and put all the adjustments in the middle (air valve half way out, paint fan half way between stops, etc). Set the regulator to the recommended (by paint gun manufacturer) pressure. Put paint in and shoot briefly on the test panel. Adjust the air and paint valves until you get a nice, even spray pattern and the paint is well atomized. If you get the the end of the adjustment and are still getting heavy orange peel (glops of paint), the the paint probably needs to be thinned more. After awhile, you get a feel for this based on experience with the gun. I use a little tool I got from the paint shop. You dip it in the paint and let it drip out and it give you an indication of the viscosity. I know what works well in my gun and so, I thin the paint till I hit the mark.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 07:15:39 PM »
"(I usually use an old paint or fuel can)"

Great minds Randy, great minds!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 11:32:40 AM »
Ok, I did'nt really want to say which gun after reading the other paint thread.
Its a Horrible Frieght HVLP Detail gun I did take it apart and check it out the main needle
does have a good fit and a smooth finish and so on. I will take small steps and proceed with caution.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 11:55:26 AM »
Scott,

It will probably work fine. My point in the other thread was just that it takes a lot more work and monitoring to get them to consistently work well and they tend to wear out fast. But as noted, they can work fine.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here