News:

• May 01, 2024, 10:07:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to prepare balsa for Rustoleum  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Dennis Heckel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
How to prepare balsa for Rustoleum
« on: March 13, 2009, 04:27:49 PM »
Hello everybody,

I will be painting my Twister soon and I'm going to use Rustoleum. I am covering the wing with Monocote.

I am wondering what is the best way to prepare the balsa for the Rustoleum?

I usually use 2 coats of dope sanding sealer but I heard or read somewhere that the dope gasses off to much and ruins the Rustoleum.

Will primer be enough to seal the wood for the paint and what type of primer should I use?

Thanks for any answers you can give me.

Dennis Heckel
One cross thread is as good as two lock washers.

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
Re: How to prepare balsa for Rustoleum
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 05:11:51 PM »
I'm also watching this thread because I'm planning on finishing my shark this way.

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 05:41:52 PM »
Dennis ,, great post,  i am in the process of building a Magician and will soon be building a Twister, both to have this same finish! I am eagerly looking for any help also!! In the past i have used Ace spar varnish,, but now i want to get just a little more serious about the finish on my planes and would like to hear from some more experience with this process. 
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 02:36:44 AM »
Depends on how much time you want to spend and if you are happy with a little grain showing. The easiest is to use Z Poxy Finishing Resin. Mix up a small batch, coat the fuselage using a throw away acid brush and wipe off the excess with paper towels. The next day sand with 220 and squirt with Rustoleum.. Finishing resin will seal the wood and you will have an acceptable finish, the grain won't be filled but it will look OK and if your are still prone to crashes it will be fine.

Online dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 06:00:09 AM »
Not a front row method, but this works prety well.

I have had very good results using water based sanding sealer from the hardware store.  My normal method for sport planes on non open bays

Sand smooth up to 320, work real hard at getting the bumps and rough edges taken care of.
brush on water based sanding sealer.  I use the store brand from Ace hardware.
Lightly sand
Re-coat any places you have sanded through.

At this point you could go right to paint, but I usually spray  1-2 fill coats of automotive primer, that fills the grain.  The ammount of time you spend on the fill coats and sanding will determing the level of finish you can get.

Try the water based sanding sealer, you will like it.  It really toughens up the wood, doesn't add much weight and works under dope or rustoleum.
It does not smell either, so you can do it in the house.

Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 06:28:57 AM »
I have had very good results using water based sanding sealer from the hardware store. 

Are you talking about water based polyurethane or is there actually a water based "sanding sealer" ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 08:29:47 AM »
I haven't tried for a perfect finish but what works for me is Rust-o-lem Rusty Metal Primer. It seals the wood and is easy sandable material.
Larry

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 10:28:20 AM »
I've done a few planes with Rustoleum now...  Several started with a dope base, since they were originally intended to have a dope finish, or were finished in dope originally before being repaired and refinished with Rustoleum.  I've been using Duplicolor primer for a while now.  I spray 2 or 3 coats, sanding between coats, then two coats of Rustoleum, and some trim.  Earlier this week I tried Rustoleum primer.  I wasn't impressed.  It took three days before it wasn't tacky.  The over spray was typical of Rustoleum, a nasty sticky mess on everything.  It's been a few days now and the garage still reeks.  On top of everything it doesn't sand nearly as nicely as the Duplicolor product.  The Duplicolor usually dries in minutes, not days.  It doesn't smell terrible, and the over spray fog isn't nearly as annoying. 

Online dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 09:14:31 PM »
Are you talking about water based polyurethane or is there actually a water based "sanding sealer" ?

It feels like, smells and looks like a water based poly.  But it is listed on the can as sanding sealer.  It goes on milky white and dries clear.  it doesn't have the gloss of minwax poly, but it toughens the wood nicely and seals the wood quickly.  I used it on a flight box, and was impresed.  I have been using it for 8 years now.  No issues under dope or Rustolem.
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 10:10:38 PM »
Hello Dave,
Could you tell me where do you buy this sealer and what is the exact name to look for?
I getting close and If I casn I'll stop by "ace" next time I pass it.

Online dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 09:43:46 PM »
I use the water based sanding sealer from Ace Hardware paint department.  Quart can about $7 a quart will last a long time. 
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 11:55:25 AM »
Water based interior wall paint from your garage works fine as a primer! Use enough to seal the wood. Maybe 1 1/2 to 2 coats

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here