News:

• May 09, 2024, 11:11:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to Camouflage  (Read 558 times)

Mike Griffin

• Trade Count: (0)
How to Camouflage
« on: August 12, 2011, 04:29:57 PM »
Once you have your base color on, what kind of mask do you use to shoot the camo patches on? Is there a really simple way to do it?

Thanks

Mike

Offline BBury

• New Pilot
  • AMA 63928
Re: How to Camouflage
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 05:40:28 PM »
If you want somewhat soft edges of your demarcation lines just use your airbrush. If you want hard edges  "frisket" film is an excellent choice, fairly cheap too, that you can cut the pattern and stick to your surface. If you use a sticky paper or film just make sure you get all the edges down tight to prevent seepage underneath.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 06:29:44 PM »
See reply to same question on the Stuka Stunt forum.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 03:44:38 PM »
I always find an airbrush gives to much of a soft edge, unless it's a really big model. The plastic modellers do it this way, cut the shape required from thin card, then attach it in position with Blue Tack, so it stands about 1/8" proud of the surface, then airbrush the colour keeping the airbrush at 90 degrees to the work, on a low pressure! It results in a fine soft edge.

Cheers
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 08:01:25 PM »
Use foam tape from a home supply store to define your pattern. It's about 1/2" wide with an adhesive side. Paper mask the areas between the pattern that you want to remain the base color. Spray the camouflage area angling the spray pattern slightly away from the foam top edge. Varying the angle will vary the degree of softness to the painted edge. Easy and fast.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here