News:

• April 30, 2024, 05:19:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How much weight is added during finishing?  (Read 807 times)

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
How much weight is added during finishing?
« on: January 24, 2010, 01:31:44 PM »
I've never weighed a "skeleton" before adding the finish. I'm now ready to do that on a Sig Super Chipmonk. I have some sanding/filling to do, then the final assembly and then on to finish. I've been weighing the parts and so far I'm up to 35.3 ounces cumulative weight including the engine/muffler/prop. I was shooting for 50 or so ounces, but I'm thinking I may come in higher than my target.

Anyone have any ideas what the finish might add? I'll be using silk and dope.

Thanks,

Brian

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 01:57:15 PM by Brian Massey »
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: How much weight is added during finishing?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 09:23:12 PM »
Hi Brian,

Well, it's a good question. And the answer to all such "good questions" is, it depends. My last PA plane was about 39oz, ready to finish. I thought, man, that gives me like a 15 oz finish budget so I didn't worry too much about it. I ended up putting something like 24oz on in paint and the plane was a pig and flew like an anvil.

The current plane came out a bit porky on the basic airframe. About 48oz ready to fly (it's only 590 square inches). The target weight was suppose to be about 55oz. So I was really careful with the finish. The base color is a bit thin (transparent), but not too bad. And the final finish weight is about 6oz. It's very easy to add weight during finishing. Just get off as much filler as you can and go easy on the trigger with the colors and top coat and you'll be fine.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 09:40:20 AM »
Thanks Randy;

I'm going to keep weighing at various stages, so I can set some sort of a baseline in my head for future reference. I know I still have stuff to add, like the tail wheel and pants etc, so if I can bring it in between 50-55 ounces I might wind up with a pretty good flyer. I'm goiing to spray the dope on this plane, first time for that too. I have a lot to learn.

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 09:46:30 AM »
Brian,

Just take your time and ask questions when you're not sure how to proceed. It's not rocket science, but it does take time to develop a feel for what you want and what is good enough.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 10:06:08 AM »
Most of the planes that I have weighted in the last 20 years have been 580 to 620 sq" have gained 7-10 ounces for the finish. My JUNO at the 88 Nats that was third in appearance points with a silk covering and had 20+ coats of dope on it gained 8 ounces.I think people put clear on heavy to get it to flow. I brush it on thinned 70% and spray the last few coats. Auto clear top coats can get heavy fast.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 10:25:07 AM »
Ed,

>>Auto clear top coats can get heavy fast.<<

This is the truth. Catalyzed polyurethane is very cool stuff, but you have to be careful with it. as I noted with my most recent plane, the spray window is a bit shallower than lacquer. When they say 60-90°, they're not kidding. A tack coat then a nice, even medium coat will cost you about 2oz for a 650 square inch plane. On the other hand, it take one coat and you're done.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here