News:

• April 30, 2024, 06:23:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How long to wait?  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Phil Coopy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
How long to wait?
« on: September 12, 2008, 07:27:17 PM »
After applying the final coat of clear, how long shound I wait before applying wax products to the model?

Phil

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: How long to wait?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 09:08:58 PM »
Weeks. Talked to Pete Peterson last night, asked if he'd buffed out his new Rondinelli "Venus" yet. "Naw, gotta wait for the clear dope to get hard. Otherwise, it'll go dull again." Well, something to that effect.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 08:55:50 PM »
Yes, weeks ....even 2 months would be better -- that is providing you are using dope. If you are using 2 part auto
clear, you can wet sand and buff out & wax in as little as 48 hrs.
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 08:27:20 PM »
Yep, all of that. Lacquer can take awhile depending on the climate. If you live in Arizona, you may be able to sand and wax in a couple of weeks or a month. Where I'm at it, ah, takes awhile. Did someone say 90days? Barely here.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 09:55:16 PM »
Be advised that if you use anything that is catalysed, you better have it polished within a week or you may really regret sanding it even with 2000 grit! as for laquer, definetly longer is better. although, if you are not flying the plane, taking it down once a week and lightly scuffing the surface with 2000 grit is really a pretty good idea, assuming you have enough material. this allows the surface to open a bit and allow the solvents a better chance of escaping
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here