News:

• May 02, 2024, 12:46:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How do I apply transparents on wing tips?  (Read 532 times)

Offline kenneth cook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
How do I apply transparents on wing tips?
« on: August 27, 2009, 06:20:10 PM »
             Over the years, I got pretty good at using Monokote. I was always amazed at how my father could apply it to all surfaces wings, fuse, etc. He really mastered the technique in his r/c days. I struggled for years and practically gave up on it. He always told me its patience and practice. When your excited about getting out there to show that new model off and fly it , those two words don't equate. Now that I feel I can do a fairly good job with this material I wanted to try some of the transparents. It amazes me to see this on models. I like the fact that you see the skeleton and the perfection of the finish. I guess your getting the best of both worlds. The difficulty is that the construction needs to be at its finest and sanding is extremely important as well. You can't cover imperfections and now your going to look right at them. I always covered my bottom first then wrap up onto leading edge and over trailing edge apporx. 1/8 inch. When I typically cover a wingtip such as a Flite Streak for example, I like to leave material over the tip and onto the top of it. I think this is the true secret to the installation especially when shrinking it afterwards with a heat gun. The streak tip is a radical compound curve going from like 2 1/2 to 3/4 in a very few inches. This leaves a lot of unshrunken material at the leading edge that needs to be heated and tugged extremely for a wrinkle free finish. If using transparents how do you not see the material that wraps onto the top of the wingtip like I stated above. I can't imagine creating the seam in the center of the wingtip allowing for less than a 1/16th of an inch to hold it down. I guess the solution is to make a clean looking wrap thats even . I generally slice and cut as needed to make the material lay as it rounds the curve. I sometimes slice the material 1/4 inch apart and fold each flap over with the iron. I spent a few years braking metal in various shapes and I apply the same principles to the Monokote while trying to cover irregular shapes and surfaces.  Ken

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: How do I apply transparents on wing tips?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 06:56:09 PM »
I covered the bottom first, but trimmed the film off flush with the TE (not wrapped), tips, and cut on centerline of LE radius. The top was done second, wrapped over onto the bottom surface and overlapped about 1/8". Looked pretty good from the top, and not bad from the bottom.  :o Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here