News:

• May 03, 2024, 08:49:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HOK House of Color  (Read 790 times)

Offline Bryan Higgins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Arvada Associated Modelers Member
HOK House of Color
« on: May 23, 2012, 04:23:34 PM »
I have a question for you painters out there like Randy and Mark or anyone else with expertise in painting.

Shimrin Graphic Color by HOK is a basecoat paint it says in the directions to cover this paint with Acrylic
Lacquer or Urethane Enamel Clears.

My question is can i use this paint and cover it with Randolph Clear?

Thank You Guys D>K
Bryan R higgins Jr.
Arvada,Colorado
AMA#885188

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: HOK House of Color
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 07:09:06 PM »
Hi Bryan,

While people have been using acrylic lacquer with dope for decades, I am not sure if it would be safe to use Randolph clear butyrate dope over the HOK Shimmrins.  A test panel would definitely be in order since I do not know what the Shimmrins are.  Maybe they are single stage urethane, but I don't know.  I do know that butyrate dope cannot be used over the Chromabase colors from DuPont.  It can be used only over the Chromaclear top coat, not the colors.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 10:20:14 PM »
I believe that Shimrin is available in Acrylic lacquer and in a urethane style basecoat,,
I would be hesitant to use Randolphs over it unless it is a lacquer product,, and then I would still want to do a test panel,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bryan Higgins

• Commander
  • Arvada Associated Modelers Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 10:37:24 PM »
Hello Bill & Mark

Thank you for the reply i will probably order 4oz. and try it on a test panel like you said.
4oz. only $9.99 some colors vary in price but it's cool how they sell 2oz. 4oz. & Quart
sizes now. in HOK

Some of there colors are very nice. Like the Kosmos Red,Chrome Yellow,Molly Orange,
and others.  I cant wait to use them in my new airbrush.

Thanks again for the information.  Bryan ;D
Bryan R higgins Jr.
Arvada,Colorado
AMA#885188

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 03:31:57 PM »
I believe that Shimrin is available in Acrylic lacquer and in a urethane style basecoat,,
I would be hesitant to use Randolphs over it unless it is a lacquer product,, and then I would still want to do a test panel,,

Hi Mark,

I have been all over HOK's web site several times trying to find it in Acrylic Lacquer with no luck........ :(

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 09:48:14 PM »
Is this "Shimrin" stuff something that would be available in powder form, so it could be mixed into clear dope as a binder? That would be my 1st choice and 1st question to HOK. A call might provide an answer that the website would not, because not many would want that option.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 02:04:31 AM »
hmm I just went and looked,, they no longer list,, at least in an obvious place,, the acrylic urethane,, but the basecoat may be  viable under acrylic lacquer,, I just am not sure..
the question was about topcoating with Randolphs,, it appeared he already had info that you can topcoat with AC

also keep in mind, many of the Shimrin colors are actually a metallica or pearl base with candy over them. typically the base metallic or pearl is very translucent,, and requires a blocking coat of a similar straight pigment color, or you will be spraying MANY coats for coverage.  although white can be ok some times,, though striping would be a concern since the color is so transparant,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here