News:

• May 10, 2024, 02:20:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HOK Candy Basecoat  (Read 734 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
HOK Candy Basecoat
« on: April 29, 2011, 11:19:56 PM »
Probably for Mark S. and Randy P., but if anyone else has experience.... ;D

HOK is making a "Candy Basecoat" system of paint now that mimics a true candy paint.  I have only an 8 oz. "airbrush" bottle size so far, and have not been able to use it, but it is advertised as a mix of pearls, metallics, etc., to mimic a candy coat over a basecoat.  I have the Apple Red which I hope to try out soon.

I am involved with a gentleman who is restoring a NASCAR '64 H/M Galaxie which was originally Candy Tangerine when first built in 1964.  I had expressed the idea of making a panel to have shot with the gun to computer match so that the resultant damage (he will be Vintage racing it) can be matched more easily.  Of course, the "exact" shade it was in 1964 is virtually impossible to ascertain.  It seems HOK is already doing this with their "Candy Basecoat system".....

Anyone have any experience yet?

Thanks,
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: HOK Candy Basecoat
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 11:46:21 AM »
Wow, a Thunderbolt? Those are quite cool.

I don't have any experience with the HOK stuff since it's urethane. I may get back to using it at some point. But I imagine it may look pretty cool. HOK stuff is pretty cool. Mark is traveling this weekend but he may jump in there.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 02:17:24 PM »
Wow, a Thunderbolt? Those are quite cool.

I don't have any experience with the HOK stuff since it's urethane. I may get back to using it at some point. But I imagine it may look pretty cool. HOK stuff is pretty cool. Mark is traveling this weekend but he may jump in there.

HI Randy,

Not a Thunderbolt, but I did get to see Gas Rhonda's original National Champion T-Bolt up close and personal a few times.

This car is a NASCAR Galaxie built by Holman/Moody, not the drag car T-Bolt.  Which actually is probably a bit more rare these days than one of the original 53 Thunderbolts! LOL!!  Mainly because there were actually fewer full size Galaxies built at H/M than the Drag version Fairlanes and the old NASCAR race cars were usually discarded (scrapped) after they ran there life span.  So far I have helped out on three Galaxies (2 '63s and this '64) that were restored to their original likeness.  One was redone after the owner saw a model I built of a '63 that was run only one time which was the 1963 Southern 500.  The last two restorations were done from not much more than the frames, which are easily identifiable if you know what modifications H/M did to them for NASCAR racing.  A few of the 1963-64 Galaxies still had a Starliner chassis under them that H/M built in 1961.  The old NASCAR collectors are a strange breed.

This paint I have is a urethane I guess, but "looks" like the old lacquer they used to make.  I need to try it out before long.  Just waiting to get a new compressor.........

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 03:42:35 PM »
Bill, I used to work at a body shop in LA and the guy had an original 64 Fairlane Thunderbolt. It was screaming red and was about the coolest car I was ever around (well, we worked on some stuff that was pretty cool, too). I loved that car though.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 06:15:11 PM »
HI Randy,

Not a Thunderbolt, but I did get to see Gas Rhonda's original National Champion T-Bolt up close and personal a few times.

This car is a NASCAR Galaxie built by Holman/Moody, not the drag car T-Bolt.  Which actually is probably a bit more rare these days than one of the original 53 Thunderbolts! LOL!!  Mainly because there were actually fewer full size Galaxies built at H/M than the Drag version Fairlanes and the old NASCAR race cars were usually discarded (scrapped) after they ran there life span.  So far I have helped out on three Galaxies (2 '63s and this '64) that were restored to their original likeness.  One was redone after the owner saw a model I built of a '63 that was run only one time which was the 1963 Southern 500.  The last two restorations were done from not much more than the frames, which are easily identifiable if you know what modifications H/M did to them for NASCAR racing.  A few of the 1963-64 Galaxies still had a Starliner chassis under them that H/M built in 1961.  The old NASCAR collectors are a strange breed.

This paint I have is a urethane I guess, but "looks" like the old lacquer they used to make.  I need to try it out before long.  Just waiting to get a new compressor.........

Bill
Bill,
If you have any pics of the Galxies you helped restore I'd love to see them, I had a /64 2 door with the big block when Beth and I were married.  Never had the $ to restore it (we were both in college) but always planned to.  Sold it my brother when he needed a car with the condition he would sell it back to me when he was ready to get rid of it but he forgot that part and sold it to some one else.  Who knows, may get another some day (still see them around). 

James
AMA 491167

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 10:41:45 PM »
All the restorations and recreations are done using actual period H/M chassis and what ever body parts are there.  Everything, including engines, are as they were in the year depicted.  Some parts are very hard to find and some parts have to be remade/reproduced.  The cars end up being completely authentic and original in specs.  There are some in that "hobby" who are frauds, but they are being rapidly "found out".  An engine that I could build back in the '80s for less than $1000 will easily cost over $10,000-$20,000 now (and more).

This what the '64 looked like in '64.  House of Kolor Candy Tangerine.  It is funny, but a friend of mine who still works at H/M actually had a gallon of that paint when they moved shops a few years ago.  Unfortunately it is gone now.  The chassis for this one is almost finished, and the body work is being done.  The engine is an original 427 NASCAR spec Ford High Riser ( found a set of unused  bare heads!).   Unfortunately, I will never be able to own any of these unless something drastic happens. ;D

This is the '63 that was done after Brent saw my model posted on line.  He used the model, and the references I had, to restore it into this.  The car was actually already restored in all white and a different number until he saw mine.  The car had been driven in 1963 by Tiny Lund, but was not the car it now represents.  He immediately had it repainted and lettered when he saw my model.  The final lettering is now done.  This car ran one time like this, the 1963 Southern 500.  Also HOK Candy Tangerine.

Before the repaint:

The original:

I also helped on the recreation of this one.  Fireball Robert's 1963 Southern 500 winner.  FoMoCo 1956 Regency Purple with a pearl clear coat over top: (don't have the finished car saved to photobucket yet)

« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 11:00:39 PM by Bill Little »
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 11:32:23 AM »
Soi Bill, how did you replicate the nice SCRAPE down the side LOL,,

I have not personally messed with the HOK "candy" system you are referring to, all the candy stuff I have done is base, candy , and clear. Though I have done what they are. Take a base color, spray it, then do a let down ( add clear to the same color) spray over it,, then clear. It simplifies the process, but its still not quite the same,, it is cool though
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 09:00:47 AM »
Soi Bill, how did you replicate the nice SCRAPE down the side LOL,,

I have not personally messed with the HOK "candy" system you are referring to, all the candy stuff I have done is base, candy , and clear. Though I have done what they are. Take a base color, spray it, then do a let down ( add clear to the same color) spray over it,, then clear. It simplifies the process, but its still not quite the same,, it is cool though

Hi Mark,

The "Darlington Stripe" was left off the replica, as was the other damage that was sustained in qualifying and the race. ;D  Every car that ran at Darlington back in the day had that stripe down the right 1/4 panel unless the driver was just stroking around and finished in the back. ;D  Fireball wrecked pretty good in the first day of qualifying and it took an all night thrashing to get it ready for the second day.  He set a track record and fastest time, but had to start in the back.  Ended up setting a race record for fastest race with the pretty torn up car.  The car was one that had been hastily painted (red still shows around the window openings) after he had flipped his regular car at Bristol just before the Southern 500.  That "hobby" is pretty serious about getting things "right" and there have been some big dollar frauds seen in the recent past, perpetuated by a lack of knowledge in the buying public.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 07:47:08 AM »
...NASCAR, Go Fast and Turn Left..  Do enjoy that sport..
  Bill I am jealous that you are gettin' to work on that car..   '63 & '64 Ford's had a great body style.Like that "Fast Back"... y1 y1 y1
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here