News:

• May 08, 2024, 12:32:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hobbycraft silk  (Read 614 times)

Offline Neville Legg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Hobbycraft silk
« on: August 21, 2010, 10:15:49 AM »
Just returned from a shopping trip to get my grandaughter a birthday present, when I noticed the Hobbycraft store I was in sold natural silk at £4.50 a metre (about $7.00) It was a very light, tight weave silk, didn't buy any as I still have loads. Has anybody tried this silk? Is Hobbycraft a U.S. company?

Cheers    Neville
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 05:46:32 PM by Neville Legg »
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
Re: Hobbycraft silk
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 11:48:50 AM »
"Light and tight weave" doesn't mean much without real numbers.  I would be wary of silk in a craft store.  Could be anything, but some experimentation might turn up something good.  I think most of us yanks know about Thai Silks in Los Altos, California.  They have a web site and they are happy to mail any quantity of "Haboti" light silk.

I have had great success with Thai silk.  It comes in white only, but fabric dye works well.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
Re: Hobbycraft silk
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 02:14:23 PM »
This silk was marked up 100% Chinese silk, I have a pile of chinese silk that works extremely well. Only problem I've found is that it only water shrinks once!
So you can't dye it! The silk in Hobbycraft was lighter than the silk I have, and that's fairly light! I still use light weight jap tissue underneath to save on dope!

Cheers     Neville
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here