News:

• May 05, 2024, 05:22:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Higgins Fade Proof Ink mixed with dope  (Read 957 times)

Online James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Higgins Fade Proof Ink mixed with dope
« on: April 18, 2011, 04:19:50 PM »
Been in contact with Bill Hummell (thanks for the help Bill) about using Higgins Fadeproof Ink in the clear.  Have any of you folks tried this over a white base (or any other base color)?

James
AMA 491167

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Higgins Fade Proof Ink mixed with dope
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 04:59:39 PM »
"fade proof"  **)
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 07:29:43 AM »
If you spray yellow tint over white, you will likely have a very bright yellow.   But it would be easier to just spray it yellow in a single application.  So what are you trying to accomplish ?

The best thing I have found for tinting clear for a transparent finish is HOK Kandy Koncentrate.  (There are other brands)  About $30/8oz can online, but it only takes about 1/2 oz to tint 20 oz of a 50/50 clear mixture.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Online James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 08:42:21 PM »
If you spray yellow tint over white, you will likely have a very bright yellow.   But it would be easier to just spray it yellow in a single application.  So what are you trying to accomplish ?

The best thing I have found for tinting clear for a transparent finish is HOK Kandy Koncentrate.  (There are other brands)  About $30/8oz can online, but it only takes about 1/2 oz to tint 20 oz of a 50/50 clear mixture.
Allan,

I was planning to use the ink mixed with clear to save some weight as well as get a nice finish.  The problem is I have some blemishes in the wood I used for the fuse and was thinking of putting a white base underneath
AMA 491167

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 09:50:16 PM »
James, one thing to keep in mind, what you are contemplating is basically  a Candy type finish. It will require you to be controlled with your spray pattern or you will end up with "tiger stripes" in your color coats. The result of the ink in the clear will result in a translucent finish, like candy, if your overlap is uneven, the excess buildup ( or lack ther of) will create striping in your finish. One other small note, I do not believe that Higgins is UV proof, and as such will be prone to fading, sometimes rapidly, in the sun. The solution is to topcoat with a clear which contains UV protectants, like Urenthane automotive clears. If you want to avoid that, perhaps you would be better served to just spry your white base, then a topcoat of yellow dope.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 05:35:40 PM »
I was planning to use the ink mixed with clear to save some weight as well as get a nice finish.
I have been thinking about something similar to that to experiment with my next finish.  I like a white base with 2 maybe 3 trim colors.  So in an attempt to save weight, I plan to use a white filler / primer material and seal it with a clear coat, skipping the white color coat.  If its already white from the primer, no need to spray it white.  I have used both a white automotive lacquer surfacer and Brodaks white primer which end up about the same as a white color coat.  After the clear sealer coat, I would then use the same clear tinted for the the trim colors (or maybe the Brodak Candy colors).     
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 05:47:18 PM »
Allen,

Hmmm, could work. But you will likely not like the final color (or maybe you will). I bought like a gallon of Classic Finishes (Certified) Insignia White a number of years ago (actually I bought 2 quarts then won two quarts a a couple of contests). The stuff is screaming bright white, but it clearly has some blue in it. Looked horrible with any sort of red shifted trim color; red, yellow, orange or any variation. I have since been mixing several other colors with it. A few drops or red or orange or once purple to get the tone to shift around so the trim colors I was using would be tone compatible. I also mixed some white using the Insignia stuff with some a bit of black to tone it down and some silver along with alabaster pearl to get a really sweet white that looked killer on the Cobra I did. White is seldom just white.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Jim Treace

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • 1979 600 Aerostar N79JT
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 09:01:49 AM »
I kind of did what James is talking about. On my profile Road "Shark" aka Roadrunner (Blue Sky's kit). I used all Higgins fade proof dyes. Red, Yellow, Blue and Carmine. On flaps, a very light heavily thinned white base over which I sprayed the yellow dye mixed with dope. On the canopy I mixed the Carmine in white to get a kind of swirl effect. A fun project but really didn't save all that much weight.
Jim
Jim Treace
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL &
Paris, TN
AMA 855251 "Too soon we grow old...Too late we grow wise"

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 11:11:18 PM »
Allan,

I was planning to use the ink mixed with clear to save some weight as well as get a nice finish.  The problem is I have some blemishes in the wood I used for the fuse and was thinking of putting a white base underneath

Hi James,

Maybe using a solid color for the fuselage and "wood parts", then using the dope/ink over the open bays on the wing (and stab/elev) for the "died silk look".  I agree with the other guys that it "could be difficult" to get the even coverage that it takes to look good over a base color.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here