News:

• May 03, 2024, 04:21:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help Please  (Read 942 times)

Offline Joshua Harel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Help Please
« on: April 28, 2012, 07:33:33 AM »
I am painting my model using Brodak dope, paint, clear and retarder. The only thing that is not from Brodak is the MEK that I used for thinner. Yesterday I shot several coats of approx. 10% retarder, 35% clear and the balance MEK thinner and got most of the wing and tail surfaces shiny red but - there were spots where the red was matt looking. I tried to spray it again this morning and all hell broke loose! Everything blushed and now looks like it was painted with dust. What am I doing wrong? What advice can you give me please?
Thanks
Joshua

Offline Wade Bognuda

• Commander
Re: Help Please
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 08:29:07 AM »
MEK.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 08:38:35 AM »
Yep,  should have stayed with Brodak thinner.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Joshua Harel

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 02:17:51 PM »
All these points are well taken, however: how would you gentlemen explain the fact that I painted another plane with MEK as a thinner and had no problems at all?

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 02:32:23 PM »
Weather...

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 05:33:17 PM »
Man, there's enough stuff that can go wrong when you use matched materials and do everything right. Using things like MEK is just asking for it. Might work, might not.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 06:44:52 PM »
If you're bound and determined to save pennies on thinner, look into getting it from Wicks or Aircraft Spruce (Brodak dope is just relabeled Randolf's).

I mean -- I'm known for doing wacky things in the interest of saving money, but I at least use something that calls itself "lacquer thinner" in my dope.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 07:16:51 PM »
Brodak dope and thinner is NOT the same as Randolph's products. It's made by Randolph's but it's not the same formulation. Doesn't make it bad, just different.

I've done all kinds of crazy things over time. I used DuPont thinner with Sig dope for years and it mostly worked fine. But it would unexplainably go goofy every once in awhile. Probably due to specific conditions; humidity, temp, spray pressure, whatever. Using materials not made for each other tends to narrow the window substantially. It may work, but only if conditions are just right (or maybe if you hold your mouth just right or something). Using compatible (and usually made for each other) materials just works better. You follow the directions as far as temp, humidity, pressure and such and chances are it will work fine. And the envelope as far as conditions tends to be substantially wider.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 08:01:41 PM »
All these points are well taken, however: how would you gentlemen explain the fact that I painted another plane with MEK as a thinner and had no problems at all?

Pure luck.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 09:06:23 PM »
Brodak dope and thinner is NOT the same as Randolph's products. It's made by Randolph's but it's not the same formulation.

You sure?  I'm not saying no -- it's just that when you look on the Randolph's website, Brodak is in their list of distributors along with everyone else.  I thought that Brodak's dope was just Randolphs packaged into small containers in specific colors.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 11:04:14 PM »
You sure?  I'm not saying no -- it's just that when you look on the Randolph's website, Brodak is in their list of distributors along with everyone else.  I thought that Brodak's dope was just Randolphs packaged into small containers in specific colors.
Tim,
I am pretty darn certain it is different,, at least on some level I KNOW its different,, as in for one thing, it has a different viscocity than Randolphs does
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
Joshua,, with all due respect,, absolutly without a doubt,, using MEK to spray Dope is a bad idea, for many many reasons,, to list them all would take a series of articles,, ( oddly enough I happen to be writing just such articles,, and as such really dont want to rewrite them here)
Please, for your own sanity, use whats DESIGNED to be used with the product,, You dont put gasoline in your two stroke glow engines for a reason,, what you are doing with MEK is exactly the same process,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 03:52:52 AM »
Joshua,, with all due respect,, absolutly without a doubt,, using MEK to spray Dope is a bad idea, for many many reasons,, to list them all would take a series of articles,, ( oddly enough I happen to be writing just such articles,, and as such really dont want to rewrite them here)
Please, for your own sanity, use whats DESIGNED to be used with the product,, You dont put gasoline in your two stroke glow engines for a reason,, what you are doing with MEK is exactly the same process,

I couldn't agree more, Mark.  Also, MEK (in addition to being completely inappropriate for use as a dope thinner - simply being able to act as a solvent in dope doesn't make it a good thinner for application) has become extremely expensive so there is no reason to use it in place of the proper butyrate thinner.  I can't figure out why so many people insist on trying to find alternate (and for the most part unsuitable) solvents to use as thinner when the correct thinner is readily available.  And yeah, the price of butyrate thinner has gone way up in the past few months, along with the cost of all solvents - just bite the bullet & spring for the correct thinner and you won't be complaining about the "mysterious, bad, & unpredictable" results that you get when using MEK or Acetone or whatever for the thinner.

Trying to save a few dollars on thinner and shipping and maybe a couple of days waiting for the stuff to arrive doesn't mean much when you consider the hours of labor you have in your project up to the point of applying the finish.  This reminds me of the old saying (paraphrasing here): "There is never enough time (or money) to do a job right but there is always enough time (& money) to do it over."
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here