News:

• May 08, 2024, 10:48:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Grex air brushes?  (Read 643 times)

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
Grex air brushes?
« on: April 10, 2013, 08:47:10 AM »
Hey guys, has anyone had any contact or experience with the Grex airbrushes?  I saw them at the Toledo Show last weekend and was impressed with the apparent quality.  I didn't really have time to examine thoroughly, though, so am seeking info from you fellows with experience with them  Thanks in advance!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Eric Viglione

Re: Grex air brushes?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 09:29:59 AM »
Steve Fitton has one of the pistol grip Grex XT, and likes it a lot. (Maybe he'll see this post)

I was too cheap to buy the Grex for what little I do, so I found a decent knock off of Steve's pistol grip model by "Eastwood".
I've used the Eastwood, and it works fine for me, but I did notice the plastic hand grip is not thinner proof... it will melt it, so I have to be careful when cleaning.

EricV

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 07:15:00 AM »
Hi Will, I have had my Grex XT for a couple of months, and have been happy with it so far.  I have shot testors model master acrylic through it as well as Sig dope.  It has very fine atomization, when I painted the cockpit of my new Dreadnought with it I joked with Eric that it put paint down one atomic diameter at a time.  This means good surface prep is more important than ever.

Needle removal is easy, internal polishing looks good, I have not really tested the fine line abilities of the brush yet, although I suspect they might be down near the 1/8th inch realm with the tip I have.  Not sure I would want to paint a whole stunter with it though, and there would be *no way* to hose down a wet final coat of clear.

Really, one of the 20 buck single action suction feed badgers works well for most stunt plane trim work.  I got my Grex for the plastic models.  The picture below is the first model I tried with the Grex...
Steve

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 05:41:40 PM »
Thanks Steve, My old Badger is getting harder and harder to keep fit, thing is decades old and highly mistreated.  I liked the looks of the very model you have and really was taken in by the ease of maintenance.  I don't "need" a new airbrush, but....  ;D
1/8 inch is fine enough for what I use one for, so maybe I'll just have to splurge. #^

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 06:38:39 PM »
I based gettting my Grex on the experience of a friend who is a top level plastic modeler. (think Top Five level in stunt terms).  His airbrush stand in the shop had the Grex and two Iwatas.  That was good enough for a hacker like me.
Steve

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 10:05:12 AM »
That sounds good enough for me, too!  Thanks again, Steve.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here