News:

• May 06, 2024, 08:33:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: green tape or blue tape?  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
green tape or blue tape?
« on: May 24, 2010, 07:10:37 AM »
Guys,

I've been using the 3M blue vinyl tape for years with good results.  I finally used up my supply and before I buy more, I was thinking of trying the green tape.  I've done a lot of searching (even talked to my auto paint expert and searched the 3M web site) and can not find any info to tell me the difference between the blue and the green.  I used the green once, years ago, but can't recall my impressions of it versus the blue.  Can some of you paint pros give me some info?  I use mostly Dupli-Color and Nelson's, not dope.  Thanks in advance.

Paul

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Re: green tape or blue tape?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 08:57:35 AM »
Well, I'm not a paint pro but I have used both tapes you are referring to. If it is the 3M green crepe tape (kind of like thick masking tape and crinkled) it is an excellent product. It comes in varying widths, the thinnest being 1/8". This goes around corners almost as nice as the blue vinyl tape but doesn't tend to lift up as the blue tape sometimes does. It leaves a clean line and seems to leave less flash when removed. Worth a try. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 09:16:47 AM »
Thanks Pete,

I have always had to press down the blue tape with a piece of balsa to get good adhesion along the paint line.  This is exactly what I am hoping to avoid.  I'll give the green a try.  I can always go back to blue, but I'm always in quest of a better product during my finishing stages.  Which has led to some major messes in years gone by.  Thanks again.

Paul

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 09:40:28 AM »
As far as 3M goes, I prefer the green.

But my favorite is from the Finesse product line.  I use both the Edge and the Striper tapes. 
Couple of years ago when I first became aware of Finesse they were offering free samples. 
Not sure if they are still doing that, you might give them a call.  

http://www.finessepinstriping.com/
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 09:50:54 AM »
I like Finesse Pinstripe stuff. Very thin and lays down pretty easily. But it isn't real flexible so it's not that great around tight corners. I use the Finesse stuff for most taping, the 3M blue vinyl stuff for really tight corners (or cut the corner from adhesive vinyl depending on the situation) and 3M green stuff for overlapping stuff.

For mask I use either the local Lowe's paint mask (treated paper roll) or lately I've been using some clear vinyl mask stuff that's pretty cool. I've also been experimenting with some very light adhesive clear paint mask that you can cut on the surface (if you are very careful) and lays down well.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 03:41:03 AM »
I just bought a roll of Frog Tape at the local big box. It is a green masking tape that advertises that it has magical properties that wont let paint bleed thru.  I like the way it holds, not too much, not too little. No bleed thru.  This is my first multi color dope job with silkspan.  I think it is ok for a first attempt.
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 07:32:42 AM »
To try and be a bit more specific.  3M makes all kinds of tape for our use.  Blue tape isn't quite good enough a discription.  3M makes a blue tape that is sometimes referred to apainters tape.  You can find it at Lowes or Home Depot.  Fine for painting your living room but not for models.  Problem is that the solvents in our normal paints cause major bleed under the edge.  What you want is 3M Fine Line tape which is available in widths from 1/16" up to about an inch.  The blue tape is really good for go ing around corners with the narrow widths capable of going around a pretty tight radius.  The light green version is better for straight line work as it is not as flexable as the blue.  These tapes are available at auto parts and body shop supply outlets.  Discount internet sources are a good place to get these products.  Try Googleing "Airbrush Depot" as they carry a lot of 3M products.  For a straight masking tape to cover larger areas that you don't want painted I often use cheap paper towels taped on with 3M 2727 tape.  This stuff can be pretty sticky so you don'twant to leave it on for very long.  I expose just a very small edge of the tape to actually attach it to the Fine Line tape which outlines the area to be painted.  I also like the Finesse tape as it is thinner than the 3M and leaves a thinner edge.  It is also better for straight line work as it isn't as flexible as Fine Line blue.  With all tape the edges should always be sealed with a fine spray of clear from an airblush prior to applying color.
Alan Resinger

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 10:07:52 AM »
Another thing to consider is "stickiness". 3M makes the blue painter's tape in a number of adhesive strengths. Use the stuff with less adhesive strength. I use the blue painter's tape for general masking, but you have to be careful that it's not on a paint edge.

The green vinyl tape that Alan notes is pretty good for long, straight lines, but I like the Finesse stuff better because it's thinner and leaves less of a ridge.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 12:10:22 PM »
Thanks guys for all the comments.  Alan, I was referring to the fine line tape, which I didn't make very clear.  I've been painting for a very long time and just haven"t tried the green fine line so I was wondering if I was missing something.  There are so many great painters out there and I appreciate your inputs.  I use Randy's technique for turning tight corners except I use contact shelf paper.  I only remove 1/4" of the backing along the paint line so not too much surface area is stuck to the base paint.  I've also used electrical tape as a stencil to cut very small radius corners.  Works great.

Thanks again,
Paul

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here