News:

• May 04, 2024, 01:07:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Graphic transfer of image to vinyl stock  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Graphic transfer of image to vinyl stock
« on: February 08, 2013, 12:39:54 PM »
Guys,
I have a graphic image that I want to transfer to vinyl stock to be cut out with an Xacto No.11, any suggestions for doing this? I have copied the image on plain paper to the correct size (about 3/1/2" high). Any ideas?

Best,        DennisT

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Graphic transfer of image to vinyl stock
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 07:16:46 PM »
One color? Sounds to me like the SOP for cutting colored tissue trim would work just fine for a single color. Take a pile of newspaper (while you can get them) or a magazine you don't want, put the vinyl under several layers of newspaper or inside the cover of the magazine, and tape the 11 x 8 paper with the pattern down onto the magazine. Cut with #11. We only used newspaper for colored tissue, but I think the magazine would work ok for vinyl. Use a new #11 that is %#$& sharp!!! Paper is very hard on knife edges; abrasive stuff!  :o Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 08:40:05 AM »
Guys,
I have a graphic image that I want to transfer to vinyl stock to be cut out with an Xacto No.11, any suggestions for doing this? I have copied the image on plain paper to the correct size (about 3/1/2" high). Any ideas?

Best,        DennisT

Dennis,

Just send me the image or post it. I'll take a look. If it's simple enough, I can probably make it in no time for free. Best I can offer.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 10:59:48 AM »
Well, I decided to take a crack at cutting out the paper copy and outlining on some vinyl then cut out the vinyl with a # 11 blade. Dam it worked pretty good, took a few hours but was not bad. This will be "tail art" for El Diablo.

Charles, thanks for the offer, if this didn't work I would have reached out to you.

Best,        DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 11:34:29 AM »
Well, I decided to take a crack at cutting out the paper copy and outlining on some vinyl then cut out the vinyl with a # 11 blade. Dam it worked pretty good, took a few hours but was not bad. This will be "tail art" for El Diablo.

Charles, thanks for the offer, if this didn't work I would have reached out to you.

Best,        DennisT

Dennis,

I may already have that nose art someplace, except I don't think it looks like yours? Which means I may not have yours. I can draw it.

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 12:08:37 PM »
Just some information on vinyl lettering and graphics. I applied the lettering/numbers and the She Devils to the El D let them sit overnight then put on a dust coat of Brodak clear and 1/2 hour later a second full coat to seal the down and have a consistant substrate for the Death Paint. The clear has be gassing off for three days and I noticed some of the edges on the lettering were pulling up. I have been baby sitting them pushing the back down and today they are holding with just a few of the points up a little. Seem that as the dope dried it shrank and that cause the edges to pull in spots. Maybe I should have gone with the DP straight away.

Anyone else have this happen?

Best,         DennisT

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 04:17:59 AM »
Dennis it sounds like you might have gone a little heavy with the clear too early. It usually takes a few very light coats of clear to seal the letters in. Then you can get away with heavier coats.  Next time you paint a plane give me a ring and I can make you some stencils and you can just paint all the detail on.

Derek

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 09:44:10 AM »
After several days of baby sitting the vinyl letters they seem to be holding. I'm not sure if there are different Brands of vinyl that are used. I cut the She Devils from a sheet of vinyl from Coverite and its was sprayed with the same Brodak clear, has those pointy ends and has not curled a bit.

I hope that once the dope stops the initial shrink (it will have been drying for about a week) that the letters will stay and then I can put the Death Paint over it. Question - the DP does not shrink but will the solvent/reducer in it cause the dope to soften and start the whole shrink thing again?

Best,          DennisT

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 04:40:46 PM »
After several days of baby sitting the vinyl letters they seem to be holding. I'm not sure if there are different Brands of vinyl that are used. I cut the She Devils from a sheet of vinyl from Coverite and its was sprayed with the same Brodak clear, has those pointy ends and has not curled a bit.

I hope that once the dope stops the initial shrink (it will have been drying for about a week) that the letters will stay and then I can put the Death Paint over it. Question - the DP does not shrink but will the solvent/reducer in it cause the dope to soften and start the whole shrink thing again?

Best,          DennisT

"...the DP does not shrink but will the solvent/reducer in it cause the dope to soften and start the whole shrink thing again?"

No, the two part polurethane solvent system is much less aggressive than the dope solvent system so you won't have that problem.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 11:02:11 AM »
All DP is on and looks great but I have some rolled edges on the graphics. I think I will use some Sigmend or gap filler CA to fill the edge then give it on last coat of DP. Not sure I will use the vinyl graphics on painted ship again.

Best,          DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 11:22:54 AM »
All DP is on and looks great but I have some rolled edges on the graphics. I think I will use some Sigmend or gap filler CA to fill the edge then give it on last coat of DP. Not sure I will use the vinyl graphics on painted ship again.Best,          DennisT

Dennis,

The issue your having could be in a few areas?

I do know that I've provide graphics for many modelers over many years, some who spray clear coats over them.

Many of my customers have won scale awards in competition using vinyl.

Another interesting note. Some heat and burnish the vinyl over detailed areas, like rivets and wing stitching.

So, I wouldn't give up totally on vinyl graphics. Certainly there's no comparison with painted graphics.

Here's a customer's award winning model and burnished vinyl.

Charles

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 08:59:55 AM »
OK, I am working the edges with CA Gel (I get it in small tubes from Home Depot, the green one) and pushing down as the CA kicks. It is taking a while but I should be able to get it done so as to have a smooth edge than on last coat of DP over it and its done.

One thing I tried that was almost a disaster was to spray "Kicker" on the gel CA after I buttered it into the edge. NOT good, it turned white!!!

I then figured I would try and sand off the CA with a Scotch brite green pad, this cut the surface but didn't get the white out. In desperation I tried to wipe the surface with CA debonder (luck would have it I had a small bottle sitting on the bench for a few years and never use it till NOW). This worked and soften the surface enough to calm the gel CA down and it dried clear.

Best,        DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags: graphics 

Advertise Here