News:

• April 30, 2024, 06:22:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gladiator in Carbon  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Gladiator in Carbon
« on: February 02, 2009, 08:05:22 PM »
Finally got the carbon veil on the Glad. THe stuff's not too bad to work with after you play a little. Its got 3 heavy coats of dope on it so in a couple days I'll start sanding. The wings will be covered with Oz Cover which I personally really like. The finish will be all dope (again). Starting to get antsy about getting the new finish on it. While the dope drys I'll start laying up the new glass pants. I'll post pictures of that as I go.

The VooDoo is one my brother started and I finishrd just because I can stand having unfinished projects laying around, but I will have some fun with it.

Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Gladiator in Carbon
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 12:53:57 PM »
Looks good, Randy. When I've refinished, I've cut the control surfaces off and built new ones. Silly, I suppose, but I like being about the paint them separately. Be just as easy to just leave them on and scrape paint off the hinges. I look forward to seeing the finished product.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 01:18:05 PM »
Looks good, Randy. When I've refinished, I've cut the control surfaces off and built new ones. Silly, I suppose, but I like being about the paint them separately. Be just as easy to just leave them on and scrape paint off the hinges. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Randy,

I really considered removing them, but the control system is so silky in this model I didn't want to chance it. Of course dope can stiffen it up, but I think if I'm careful I can keep it nice and free. I thought about airbrushing the gaps in color, then masking them when I shoot the whole airplane, might just work.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 02:17:12 PM »
If you're careful, a touch of vaseline on the hinge barrel will keep them silky and keep paint out.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 04:34:43 PM »
Finally got the carbon veil on the Glad. THe stuff's not too bad to work with after you play a little. Its got 3 heavy coats of dope on it so in a couple days I'll start sanding. The wings will be covered with Oz Cover which I personally really like. The finish will be all dope (again). Starting to get antsy about getting the new finish on it. While the dope drys I'll start laying up the new glass pants. I'll post pictures of that as I go.

Hopfully will start finishing the new ship in a few days.. I bought a roll of OZ cover some time ago but never used it. Thinking of using it on this project.. Do you cover it with silkspan or just paint directly on top of it? I had pretty good luck putting silkspan over SLC as it hid the seams and filled really easily.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 06:12:10 PM »
Hopfully will start finishing the new ship in a few days.. I bought a roll of OZ cover some time ago but never used it. Thinking of using it on this project.. Do you cover it with silkspan or just paint directly on top of it? I had pretty good luck putting silkspan over SLC as it hid the seams and filled really easily.

Hi Bob,

I use only Oz Cover, seems to me silkspan over or under it is just an extra step and extra weight. The one thing I do before I cover is to scuff the Oz with 600 grit wet n Dry, but steel wool or Scotch Brite work too, I scuff it first so I don't get heavy scuffing over the ribs and edges, it makes prep allot faster.  I use Duplicolor rattle can primer on it and dope over that. It only needs to be a light coat quickly sanded to prep for color. The first time I used it, I made a test panel with and open center. I scuffed and sprayed the Dup on. You had to scrape the primer to get it off, and it came off in dust, not chunks, its adhesion to the Oz is excellent. In other areas like the carbon I'm going to use the Duplicolor rattle can Filler Primer. I've used it over silkspan, tissue and even raw doped balsa with excellent filling. I still make experiment and see if I can put Oz or SLC over the carbon, that way I'd only have the fillets that need extensive prep work, the rest would only require the light primer coat.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here