News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:34:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gassing Out  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
Gassing Out
« on: February 09, 2010, 10:57:51 AM »
I'm beginning the finishing stage of my winter project; a Sig Super Chipmonk that I plan on flying at the Northwest Regionals in Eugene in May. My question, how long should I wait between coats of dope? I brushed on the first coat over the airframe yesterday (the bays are still open) and plan on sanding today. Will it be ok to brush on the second coat today? I plan on entering the plane for appearance points, but I'm not looking for, or planning on, a 20 point plane; if I can garner 10-15 that will be fine. I'm brushing on Randolphs non-tautning nitrate for the base, and will switch to Randolph's Butyrate when I put the silk on the bays. I've thinned the nitrate about 50%, is that enough? Too much?

Thanks,

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Gassing Out
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 02:01:59 PM »
Brian,

Don't worry too much about dry time or outgassing at this stage. When it's dry, put on the next coat (a couple hours between is usually plenty. Once you have it covered, then it's a good idea to wait half a day between coats. I know that when I do a plane that I'm using dope for the top coats, I usually spray one coat a day (Possibly two if I can).
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 11:40:50 PM »
Thanks Randy; I will take your advice every time.  y1

I sanded the first coat with #200 grit sand paper and was happy with the finish. I then applied a second coat, and after drying and with no sanding a third coat. I am now seeing lifting of the dope in the wing/fuse joints, causing bubbles at that point.

What am I doing wrong?  HB~> HB~> I'm not too concerned with this plane; I know I'm still learning, but would like to avoid this issue in the future if possible. Am I not thinning the dope enough, applying the dope to thick, or the second coat too soon? Or . . .  .

I'll sand this out tomorrow, but before I do I will take some photos and post. For me this is a huge learning experience and I would like to learn sooner than later.

I'll sand again with #200, then with #500; at that point I hope to switch to Butyrate and get ready for the silk.

I'm planning on using the Randolph's white (butyrate) I ordered as both a primer and base color. I'll be thinning quite a bit (60% thinner or more) and brushing the white. I hope it will flow well then. I'll be sanding between coats before going to color and a final clear coat. The last two stages I hope to spray.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions . . . or laughs are welcome.

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 10:04:59 AM »
Brian,

Are the fillets already on? Or is this lifting right at the fuse.wing glue joint? I've had that happen from time to time depending on what sort of glue I used for that joint. If the fillets aren't on, don't worry about it too much. I just cut the little lift with a knife, hit the bubble with a little CA and move on.

If it's lifting off the fillet, then the question becomes what sort of fillet material are you using and are you cleaning them prior to applying paint? Since moving to SuperFil for fillets, 95% of my fillet lifting issues have gone away. Only time I have much problem now is if I get oil (like from fingers) on a fillet and forget to wipe it down prior to paint and then it usually only a little.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 10:35:24 AM »
Hi again Randy; The fillets are balsa and glued in place (Sigment). I used Hobbylite balsa colored filler to fill in gaps. I sanded that down, cleaned only by blowing hard and wiping with a rag; then the dope.

As I said, I'm not too concerned with this plane, but really want to learn to get the process right.

Here are a few pics.

Brian
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:28:09 AM by Brian Massey »

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 01:33:21 PM »
Brain,

Yep, just slice them and hit them with some CA. Hobbylite can be tough with adhesion. I used to use it, but got tired of stuff just like this. The stuff almost seems to repel lacquers. On one plane, I finally ended up coating the fillets with heavily thinned epoxy to get them to accept lacquer.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 07:25:05 PM »
Brian,
If I were you I'd get rid of the Hobbylite before you go any further.  That stuff is almost a guarentee of lifting in a filleted area.  I wouldn't use it anywhere.  Get some Epoxolite, Aeropoxy Light or some Polyfiber Superfill.  Make sure when you use Randolph butyrate that you add some plastciser to keep it flexible.  Go easy on all dope applications in the fillet area and it helps if you can spray those areas with a somewhat dry spray.  With brushing you have to lay it on very thin and get away and let it dry.  Also when brushing a finish, I'd probably thin more like 70% thinner to 30% dope.  That way the dope will level out better.
Alan Resinger

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 11:15:14 PM »
Alan is right. I didn't want you to have to strip all the Hobbylite so I suggested a fix. But in the future, stay away from the stuff around fillets.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 09:18:32 AM »
Thanks Guys! I really appreciate your help. I won't strip it off this ship, but will switch to something else for the next one.

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here