News:

• April 30, 2024, 11:11:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flattening agent for dope  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Allan Perret

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Proverbs
Flattening agent for dope
« on: February 20, 2009, 08:16:05 AM »
Have gloss back, need to make it flat for cockpit detailing, on a small area that will be airbrushed.  Is there anything I can add to accomplish this ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Flattening agent for dope
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 10:46:32 AM »
There used to be a flattening agent that you add to laquer when I was using laquer to paint cars, but it was sold by the quart, might be a bit of overkill. If you spray  your paint very dry it might work. is this going to be under a canopy or will it be exposed to fuel?
my cockpit detailing I use Acrylic paints from the craft store, the have a "flat" clear that you brush over it when your done painting and it works very well. they also have a gloss, and a satin clear . small bottles, about 4$ each as I recall. Dries fast, covers well, and is easy to clean up. great for cockpits
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 11:27:32 AM »
Might I suggest just go buy a small can of flat black Rustoleum and a quart of acetone.. You can thin for spraying and clean up with the acetone. It will go over dope just fine, just don't try to put dope over it.. I have airbrushed quite a bit of flat black Rustoleum on profiles and inside canopies of stunters...

Online Alan Buck

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 02:35:58 PM »
Allan Sig makes a flatting agent for dope. Virginiahobby sports list it on there web site
ALAN E BUCK

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 02:49:47 PM »
Just put some talc or zinc stearate in it! Mix up a little and spray it on a magazine cover to test.
Don

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 08:11:01 AM »
There used to be a flattening agent that you add to laquer when I was using laquer to paint cars, but it was sold by the quart, might be a bit of overkill. If you spray  your paint very dry it might work. is this going to be under a canopy or will it be exposed to fuel?

Its an open cockpit design (Chevelle),  but will have a RE muffler with exit on bottom at leading edge of wing.  I dont think the cockpit (at the trailing edge of wing) will be exposed to any fuel..
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here