News:

• May 17, 2024, 11:12:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finishing the former Toad  (Read 11081 times)

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
Re: Finishing the former Toad
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2011, 05:53:28 PM »
I really hate to stir a pot, but you guys might as well get ready to watch the Buckeyes in the finals!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2011, 07:14:46 PM »
Will,

Yea, that's likely. Even if UW wins the first game against Georgia (pretty good chance), the second round they get to play UNC. Joy! But then, I didn't think they were going to beat Washington State in the first round of the Pac-10 tourney. Then I didn't think they were going to beat Oregon. Then I didn't think they were going to be able to last against a very physical Arizona. But they did.

Well, the main airframe is sanded. 220 then 320 then 400. Ready for sealer. Next I have to sand the pieces parts. That should go fairly fast but right now, I feel like I need Tommy John surgery. Now I'm going to go off and get to know my pal Advil.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2011, 07:37:08 PM »
Hi Randy,

Go take care of those "pains". ;D  Getting older ain't for sissies.  I think I have staved off buying a new compressor because I don't want to sand to get them ready for paint! LOL!! That will pass........

Last "little" bit on B-ball.  Carolina and Duke are down this year.  Carolina is all young'uns!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2011, 08:17:42 PM »
Bill,

The only saving grace with this plane is the initial coat of paint is metallic flake silver. Covers really well in one light coat. Less paint.   ;D

Yea, the Huskies have an experienced team and this year they have some bangers so we'll see. Weirder things have happened. But Roy's no slouch.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2011, 08:33:43 PM »
Bill,

The only saving grace with this plane is the initial coat of paint is metallic flake silver. Covers really well in one light coat. Less paint.   ;D

Yea, the Huskies have an experienced team and this year they have some bangers so we'll see. Weirder things have happened. But Roy's no slouch.

I can see where the metallic silver flake will cover easily.  I really like the look of this bird!

yeah, I remember when Roy was a player for Dean at Carolina.......... LOL!!  Us football players could pretty much wander into Carmichael anytime we wanted to.  Saw Dean in "real" life! (and I though Bill Dooley could fire up the air..........) LOL!!  Do remember being amazed at Charlie Scott picking quarters off the top of the back board.  Michael wasn't the first guy at Carolina who could jump. ;D

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2011, 04:17:47 PM »
I think the thing I get most excited about come March madness is the fact that any team can make an unbelievable run and kick their way through the favored teams.  I just hope the Buckeyes aren't victims of a team like that!  It can happen, has before.

When I see NC and Duke "down", Bill, I remind myself who the coaches are!  Ya never know what they might pull off.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2011, 08:51:27 PM »
Will, this is the first year in quite awhile that UW actually has a team capable of getting to the Final Four. That's not to say they will. They are also one of the most inconsistent teams they've had in awhile. Just have to see what team shows up.

I'm still waiting for the paint I ordered to get here. Hope it shows up soon.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2011, 12:58:05 AM »
I'm still waiting for the paint I ordered to get here. Hope it shows up soon.

Us too. ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2011, 12:10:33 PM »
Wayne,

Yea, I ordered some HOK stuff from Summit Racing. Normally pretty good and no Hazmat fee. But I ordered 10 days ago and it says it's still enroute. Hopefully it shows soon.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2011, 01:54:03 PM »
Wayne,

Yea, I ordered some HOK stuff from Summit Racing. Normally pretty good and no Hazmat fee. But I ordered 10 days ago and it says it's still enroute. Hopefully it shows soon.

HI Randy,

Ever order directly from HOK?  They are not THAT far away (at least on the same "coast"! LOL!!). ???

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2011, 02:16:04 PM »
Bill,

I usually do but this last time they wanted like $50 for hazmat shipping fee. This on a $10 item plus $9 shipping. Ah, no. No thanks.

There actually is no HOK direct, as such. They do all their direct shipping through TCPGlobal. They are the ones that decided to skin you for fees.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2011, 02:27:30 PM »
Bill,

I usually do but this last time they wanted like $50 for hazmat shipping fee. This on a $10 item plus $9 shipping. Ah, no. No thanks.

There actually is no HOK direct, as such. They do all their direct shipping through TCPGlobal. They are the ones that decided to skin you for fees.

OUCH!  I have ordered from TCPGlobal before, but it's been while ago......  $50?? that's ridiculous....... wow.........  :o

I am going to eventually use HOK Candy Tangerine as a base color.  A real 1-1 car has been restored using that color to replica a '63 Galaxie that Tiny Lund drove at the '63 Southern 500.  A model I built through research I had done over a 25 year, or so, period served as the stimulus for the project...... kinda "backwards". ;D

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2011, 05:17:55 PM »
Bill,

Make sure you pay attention to the various base colors that can go underneath the candy color. It's amazing the range you can get by varying the base color. I shot some Candy Apple Red over 4 different colors of silver and one of bronze and the colors varied from deep red to pink to orange. Actually, Candy Red over Bronze make a very slick orange.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2011, 05:42:54 PM »
Bill,

Make sure you pay attention to the various base colors that can go underneath the candy color. It's amazing the range you can get by varying the base color. I shot some Candy Apple Red over 4 different colors of silver and one of bronze and the colors varied from deep red to pink to orange. Actually, Candy Red over Bronze make a very slick orange.

HI Randy,

I understand. y1  I only use gold, that's all under the Tangerine or Apple Red.  And it was what was used as a base on the original car I referenced. ;D  I remember all the candy apple red cars I saw "back in the day" used gold as a base, and I've never considered using anything else.  It is my favorite color for model airplanes and cars! LOL!!  But the Candy Tangerine comes in a close second.  It doesn't really look real "orange" when applied over the gold.  I don't really tend to use any other candy colors.  Possibly blue, but it gets a silver base.

heck, as you and I know, the blocking coat (or primer) can cause a dramatic shift in the final shade or hue of metallics and even "solid" colors.  I remember Herb Nab's son (he painted the #71 K&K NASCAR Chargers in the late '60s) telling me that he ran out of the light gray primer they used one night and he had to use red oxide instead.   They used FoMoCo Mustang Poppy Red (or Competition Orange as it was also labeled). When he pushed the car out in the sun the next morning the car didn't look like the other one sitting out there. LL~

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2011, 09:57:32 AM »
Bill,

Yea, it depends on the transparency of the base color you're using. Shooting white or red or yellow, the primer color or whatever you have underneath can make a big difference. I shot a plane a few years ago with Ford School Bus Yellow. A nice orangey yellow color. I decided to use gold as a blocking coat. It made for an interesting base color, but not what I was expecting.

If you're base color is something like I'm going to use; basically a light metallic silver with some HOK ultra-fine flake added, it really doesn't matter what's underneath as there is a fairly large component of black in the silver color. Just depends on where you're trying to get.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2011, 10:18:23 AM »
Hi RAndy,

If I'm really trying to get a true base color using a "solid" color like yellow or red, I use a blocking coat that is *almost* white.  Enough gray added for coverage, but not to really tint the color.

Don't you just love spraying yellow over a gray or silver blocking coat?  Always gives a nice puke green color.............. LOL!!!!!!!!

I did a Veco Tomahawk profile using Duiplicolor "Metalcast" spray cans.  It is a test bed for OS .21FP BBTU engines.  So what the heck!  It is slightly heavier (of course maybe a dozen less coats of "red" might have made a difference) than I would have liked.  I used the spray can gold base and the spray can red.  If you use the silver base, it looks like anodized aluminum.  Over the gold it is a true "Apple Red".  It could have been much lighter and still had a good look to it, but it's a "test" bed after all.  Flight performance is still very good!  Of course, Aaron had to give me cause to repair the top of a wing panel and spot matching candy colors is never easy. ;D

I just wish I had some creativity left, my schemes are getting boring, even to me..........
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2011, 02:44:12 PM »
Yea, I painted a plane with your standard Ford Performance Red a couple of years ago. I wanted to get the actual bright red and not a tint due to undercoat. So I used a red oxide primer under the color. That would really well. Very bright, intense red. Gold under Yellow works pretty well, but gives it a somewhat metallic look regardless of the number of coats of yellow it seems. White seems to do better if a white primer is used rather than gray. The gray tends to dull an otherwise bright white.

I thought it was interesting that Pete Peterson, in doing the transparent yellow base color he likes, doesn't use yellow concentrate or dye in the clear. He uses HOK Lime Gold candy concentrate in clear. I guess over the balsa wood color, it turns it very bright yellow.

Edit

OK, the sanding is done and the sealer coat is on. Undercoat goes on tomorrow then the candy color. Cool.

Man I don't want to sand anymore.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 08:37:37 PM by Randy Powell »
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2011, 11:26:42 AM »
HI Randy,

I remember, years ago, the tip of putting a tiny bit of blue in the white to make it more "brilliant".  Not enough to give it a blue tint, though.  Seems to have been a reference to the old method of using "bluing" to whiten up dress shirts in the wash. ???

Can't remember if I ever tried it. ;D

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2011, 08:16:53 PM »
The problem with shooting silver (even cool custom metallic silver) is that ever flaw stands out like a searchlight. So, I'll wait a day or so and do some sanding out and touching it up. Sigh... I'd just let it go except the spots are pretty obvious. Oh well, just a bit more work.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2011, 08:41:12 PM »
The problem with shooting silver (even cool custom metallic silver) is that ever flaw stands out like a searchlight. So, I'll wait a day or so and do some sanding out and touching it up. Sigh... I'd just let it go except the spots are pretty obvious. Oh well, just a bit more work.

Yep, that was Windy's rationale for using silver for his substrate/primer/blocking coat.  You can definitely see every tiny flaw when you shoot silver on it.  I have used silver like Windy, and I liked it for that reason, but didn't like it for the reason that lighter colors, the more "translucent" ones like yellow, red, etc., need so much to cover it.  I didn't have any problem with the last one I did since I painted it black! LOL!! And of course, black shows EVERYTHING, also! ;D

Now I use very, very light gray for the blocking coat, and I use auto primer to fill the grain.  Going to use zinc stearate (Randy's Aero) in clear for my filler on the Airon.  Going to mix a to light blue from white and blue dope to match the original.  Jim sent me some real noce color pictures of the plane when he was at the NATS.

My P-51B is getting Performance Red from Duplicolor (quarts of "Paint Shop" line) with either clear dope of urethane over it.  Gotta buy a new compressor and order the paint masks for the lettering on the P-51 (Paul Mantz's #46).  I'm back excited to work on models again.  The long break because of Gail's surgery has me ready to go again! ;D

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2011, 10:13:46 AM »
Bill,

This wasn't a blocking coat, it was an undercoat. It's supposed to show through.  ;D

But for all of that, it really only has a couple of spots that I'm going to fix. Upon closer inspection, some of the other stuff is less critical. This isn't going to be a perfect finish. I just spend too much time making sure that as much filler was off the thing as I could possible get and probably didn't leave enough in some of the low spots.

Interestingly, I learned something with this finish. I think in the future, I'm going to thin the clear a bit more and start using the spray gun immediately after covering. A lot of the final uneven-ness that, while largely sanded out, is only there because the thick clear wasn't able to flow out enough before it started drying. Have to think on this a bit.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2011, 11:20:17 AM »
Hi Randy,

You could be onto something there.  AS you know, thinner coats just means more time spent.  But they will be "thinner" and will lay out "flatter".  I can never get full strength dope to lay out nice, so I never (hardly ever! LOL!!) use clear dope full strength.  And then it is only on bare wood to get it to fill quicker before applying the tissue.  I think you can save weight by using almost no full strength dope. ???

Ah, a metallic basecoat for candy color.  Should have caught that, sorry! LOL!!

Didn't you use gold once (a Cadillac color on the Shoestring?) for your filler, or "primer"?

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2011, 02:18:09 PM »
Bill,

Yea, I used Cadillac Gold as an undercoat for Screaming Yellow (a Ford color). Nice thing was, I was able to use just one coat of yellow over it. Bad thing was (I guess it was bad) was that the yellow had a distinct gold cast. Made it interesting.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2011, 08:47:37 PM »
Well, after close inspection of the surface, there were actually a lot of small imperfections. Really just very minor low spots. Were this not metallic silver and some other color (except maybe black) and they would be pretty unnoticeable. So I made an executive decision. I broke out the primer and a very small brush and started hitting every little low spot, pin hole and imperfection I could find. I decided that I just could live with a bad finish. A mediocre finish? OK, I can live with that, but not a bad one. So I spent the 2 hours and hit every spot I could find. Tomorrow, I'll sand all those spots out and hit the areas again with an air brush. Once that dries then maybe I can use the tint on it.

I'm at that spot where I really want it to be done. That's the time to take a deep breath, step bad and regroup.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2011, 12:36:31 PM »
Sounds like you are at the point that the plane needs to put up for a while and take a break.    My memory is going as I can't remember if I was talking to someone at VSC or posting somewhere.   When sanding and I think the plane is ready for the next coat,  put it down and go get on the computor with a cup of hot coffee.   Then go look at the plane.   I have taken Sparky's advice in that I put on two coats of clear dope and let it sit for a day.  Then sand and sand until I think it is ready for another coat of dope.  Two more coats of dope and let sit for a day.   When I thought it was getting a little sheen to it, I let it sit a day before sanding again.   Finally after about 10 coats of clear, thinned 50/50, I put the poly-span on.   Then it was the talc and dope until I thought it was ready for color.   As Randy says,  should have put a coat of color sealer on.   As I brushed the color I stared seeing the bad spots.   But, from 10 feet you can't see them.   Now I see where the old timer that helped me years and years ago stated,  "It takes longer to do a decent finish than it does to build the plane".   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2011, 02:14:08 PM »
Well, not much work this weekend yet. Doing the taxes. Yikes! Hope to finish soon so I can get out to the shop.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2011, 02:04:02 PM »
OK, back to the plane. I noted my trials in trying to shoot a candy color. Man, I don't know why I do that. I think I'll leave candy colors to guys like Mark. Anyway, the good news is, I was finally able to find my base color and get it mixed. The cost was, well, let's just say steep and leave it at that. But I now have a can of paint so hopefully, I can finally shoot the base color on. That would be nice. I may post a pre-paint pic of the rather leprous appearance as it looks at the moment. Candling seems to indicate that I have a much better base this time. Guess we'll see.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2011, 06:55:38 PM »
So, after inspection, I decided to pull the canopy and rework the cockpit. Here's a picture. The new canopy is died and ready and the new cockpit paint is now drying. I think it's better.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2011, 07:08:46 PM »
Hey, that's a cool looking camoflage job..
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2011, 07:19:06 PM »
 What? Did you forget the tuck and roll? ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2011, 09:29:55 PM »
Wayne,

No tuck and roll, but a cool custom paint job. Man, I hated cutting the canopy off, but I think it's going to be better.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2011, 10:34:03 AM »
I think I would clear it,, it could set a new precident for "style",,
Rat Rod style,, and think how light it would be!
seriously, I can feel your pain with the canopy, but I agree, it was the right choice given the circumstances. Have fun with the color,, now if the wind would die down for a bit, I may go do some flying my darnself!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2011, 04:03:41 PM »
 Can we see a pic of the new cockpit?

Wayne Willey

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2011, 06:34:24 PM »
Wayne,

It's, ah, minimalist. But pretty slick overall. I shot the surface the same color that the base color is going to be. Man, I REALLY like that color. The actual cockpit is has a pilot, some gauges and pearl black paint. That's about it. I'd post a pic, but I already glued the canopy on and the fillet is now drying. Once it's dry, I can tape the canopy back off and get ready to blend the fillet and hopefully get some filler on it tonight. Man, what a pain, but it looks a lot better.

I'll shoot a picture of the cockpit with canopy after I get the fillet ground down.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2011, 08:08:04 PM »
 Sweet! Nice to hear things are back on track. y1

Wayne Willey

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2011, 09:51:53 AM »
Wayne,
OK, I think I'm ready for base color again. New canopy is slick. I plan to shoot a thin coat of color tonight and see what I have.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2011, 10:02:27 AM »
How did you dye the canopy? I've tried various substances to tint a canopy but none seen to work very well!

Cheers
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Eric Viglione

« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2011, 10:39:24 AM »
Randy, your determination put's me to shame... I'd a said screw it, it will have to be good enough and moved on to my next build before going back to stripping it down and starting over, never mind removing the canopy too!

I guess that's why your stuff is always top notch. Hat's off to you and your new, new paint job. I hope it come's out as good as you envision this time, you certainly have earned it!

Keep us posted.

EricV

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2011, 11:49:29 AM »
Neville,

Depends on what the canopy is made out of. Some canopy material won't accept dye. For those, I've used candy concentrate colors and shot the inside of the canopy with it until I got the tint I wanted. For canopies like the one I used for this plane (made of PET not PETG), I used Rit material dye in warm (maybe 100°) water. Let it soak for about 20 minutes checking the color every 5 minutes or so until I either get the tint I want or the canopy gets as dark as it's going to get. In this case, I got what I was looking for but that's probably because I was using a dark brown dye. I did a canopy that was dyed yellow and had the sucker soaking for almost an hour and still didn't really get it as dark as I wanted.

One thing to look out for, though. Don't get the water too hot or PET will start to curl up. Hotter doesn't really help all that much anyway. Warm will do it. Say 95°F to 110°F.

Eric,

Yea, I know what you mean. But truth is, I just couldn't stomach a Candy Fungus Green plane.   LL~

I probably would have put up with the surface flaws if the color had been OK. But the combination was just too much. So I figured that hey, sanding it down will kill two birds with one stone. I think I took a picture of the original color. I'll have to post it and you'll see what I mean. So by the time I got to that point I thought, well, I've done all this work to get a decent surface, I really can't put up with the substandard canopy and cockpit. The surface of the fuse under the canopy just had too many flaws, the color wasn't going to work with the new base color and I had that fog spot on the inside of the canopy, though considering the theme of the plane, smoke in the canopy probably wouldn't have been noticed.

So, now it's all prettified and ready for base color. There are a couple of spots that I'm concerned about but I'll have to see what it looks like after I shoot color. I plan to shoot a thin coat of base color and let it dry for a day then inspect. Hopefully, I can just go ahead and shoot a medium coat of color after that. If those couple of spots on the fuse I'm worried about end up sucking bad, then I'll see what I can do about fixing those then reshoot the area thinly again then go with the final color coat.

Man, when you get to the point where you're running your finger over the area over and over and you can't decide if it's a problem or not, you really need to just give up and shoot paint.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2011, 12:42:48 PM »
Randy,
Your comment on the candy fungus green color reminded me of Steve Wooley telling us his original Argus was "pond-slime green".  LL~ LL~
Sounds like you're getting some place after all the hard work and many difficult decisions, hang tough!
Will

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2011, 03:50:38 PM »
Will,

At least the base color I now have is a single stage deal. What I shoot is what I'll get. That's something.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2011, 05:27:43 PM »
I definitely embrace that concept!!  The last candy color I tried ended not fuel proof over 5% and I really paid for it!!  It was the first one I did without tiger stripes on the first coat, too.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2011, 05:40:23 PM »
Will,

One of the problems with candy colors is, the tint and tone you get is largely regulated by the depth of the paint. So if you want a darker or richer coloring, you have to go more coats. It's easy to get 5-6-7 or more coats of candy over the base before you get what you want and alleviate any tendency to tiger stripe. That's just a bad thing.

I know Pete Peterson uses candy colors over balsa (no base color) to get that dyed silkspan look. He uses Polyspan and many coats of clear and many coats of candy. But no filler coat and no base coat so you can sort of make up for the number of layers you are using to get the tint and depth you want with the absence of filler or base color. Even so, you have to be careful or you'll end up with a beautiful lead sled. That was part of my reason for deciding to just start over. The surface wasn't all that great coupled with a bad color and worse many coats of candy trying to mitigate the color. The fungus green was bad enough. When I tried to shoot a coat of red candy over the top to get the tint to shift, I ended up with candy sewage plant brown. To top it off, I'd put most of 7oz of paint on the thing. Yea, that's not working.

But hey, whatever pain was suffered along the way, I'm back to a good spot so no worries.

Edit

WEll, I shot the first coat. Sure wish I would have went lighter on it. Oh well, more sanding.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:28:49 PM by Randy Powell »
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2011, 04:10:01 PM »
I ended up with candy sewage plant brown. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

I never thought of the candy over bare balsa trick - neat concept!  I seriously may try that over a maple guitar just for the different look!  Might be easier than the aniline dyes I use.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2011, 08:31:25 PM »
Will,

It will hold up better. The stuff sure doesn't fade in the sun like aniline dyes do. Cool colors, too.

AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2011, 10:43:14 AM »
Thanks Randy, you just expanded my standard line of colors for my clients!!!!!  This is going to be FUN!!!

Offline ash

• Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2011, 07:15:16 AM »
You build guitars for a job, Will? me too!

I use acid cat lacquer on guitars and models and NGR stains mixed into the lacquer for candy colours.
Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2011, 03:36:37 PM »
Yea, but you're in Auckland.   ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2011, 05:02:10 PM »
SOMETIME THIS WEEK I'LL PM YOU FOR SOME GUITAR BUILDERS GOSSIP!!!!  I LOVE TO EXCHANGE TIPS!
www.crossovercustomguitars.com

Offline ash

• Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2011, 08:37:43 PM »
Yea, but you're in Auckland.   ;D

If you mean that my location has less restrictions on sprayable products than yours, you'd probably be right.

My main reason for using acid-cat lacquer is that they seem much less harmful to the sprayer than other types. I'm an isocyanate free zone until I can get some much better facilities to work in.

I feel your pain on all these finishing dramas you're having. I've experienced that same on both guitars and models. Bronze-powder gold finishes and candy apple red remain my two hardest to do properly by a country mile!

And yet I still want to do a model in candy metallic blue... hopefully I can follow your lead and find a one-coat base in the right shade.
Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here