News:

• May 17, 2024, 01:50:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finishing the former Toad  (Read 11082 times)

Offline ash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
Re: Finishing the former Toad
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2011, 08:39:53 PM »
SOMETIME THIS WEEK I'LL PM YOU FOR SOME GUITAR BUILDERS GOSSIP!!!!  I LOVE TO EXCHANGE TIPS!
www.crossovercustomguitars.com

Got your email, Will. Talk soon.
Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2011, 06:14:50 AM »
chuckle - the model I referred to that was not fuel proof over 5% was a candy blue!  I have some traumatic memories of guys refusing to hold the beast!!   HB~> ~^
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2011, 10:04:09 AM »
ash,

One of the problems with using candy paint on model planes is the weight. To do a proper candy finish, you have to lay down a base coat, usually some kind if pearl or flake. The courser the flake, the more the ultimate finish will give you that sparkle. This ain't light by itself. Then candy colors are largely determined by layering. Each coat you shoot deepens and (usually) darkens the color. So to get that deep, classic candy apple red color, it's take a couple of coats of base (usually gold with at least medium flake in it) the anywhere from 3 to 8 coats of candy tint depending on what you're going for, then some sort of topcoat. Classically, you'd shoot maybe 8 to 10 coats of clear lacquer on top. The more clear lacquer you use, the deeper the shine.

Candy paints rely on depth to generate that enormously cool color. But it usually takes a lot of coats. A lot of coats. And that means more and more weight. The last plane I did a candy colored finish on weighted a ton. It was pretty, but not a very good flyer since I ended up putting 22oz of paint on the thing. Eventually, I'll strip it down and go with a simple paint job so that the plane will fly. But it's pretty.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

On another note (and back to the topic -  ;D  ), The base color is finally on the plane. Took 3 coats (2 light coats and one medium). Added a bit more weight than I would have liked. Should have used a blocking coat, but overall, it's not bad. Nice color, too. So I have a bit of clean up to do, couple of minor spots to fix (weirdly, all on the bottom - go figure), then I can hit those areas with the air brush then get to the fun part - the trim scheme. And I have absolutely no idea of what I'm am going to do there. I have the colors picked out, but no idea besides that. What fun!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 11:30:00 AM by Randy Powell »
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #103 on: April 30, 2011, 09:40:21 PM »
Man, taping and masking takes a lot of time. 4 hours into the first trim color and I'm not done yet. Sigh...
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2011, 07:53:16 AM »
Man, taping and masking takes a lot of time. 4 hours into the first trim color and I'm not done yet. Sigh...

Randy, when I masked out the trim for my plane (which I'm still doing by the way), I did the whole thing in sections.  I painted the wings, then the tail surfaces and today the fuselage.  It seems to make things easier during the whole taping process. Maybe you could try that. H^^
Matt Colan

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2011, 11:37:10 AM »
Matt,

I do that sometimes. It sort of depends on the trim. In this case, because of how I'm doing it, I pretty much have to do the whole first color at the same time. But the follow up colors can probably be done in sections. This is sort of a minimalist approach, but the colors are close together. In the next color, because they will be crossing the original color, doing it in sections will probably be easier.

Doing trim schemes is always a case of finding the easiest process. Some guys do all the taping for all the colors at once, then just cover up what they don't want painted. That works if colors don't cross (well, sometimes it works) and if the trim colors are separated. If the trim colors are contiguous, then it doesn't really work. Planning a trim scheme is as much about process as is about design.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2011, 07:31:25 PM »
Well, the first trim color is on. And all I can say is OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Easily the sexiest looking plane I've ever built. The weird part is, there was zero problem with the taping. No bleed, no overspray, no issues. The paint laid down well, good coverage with just a single coat. And besides, the color is perfect. About the best tonal match I've managed.

Maybe all that pain I went through with prep paid off. The surface isn't perfect, but it's not bad. Based on my own criteria, it's an 18 point plane. maybe 18.5.  

Now, if I just keep from screwing it up. Pics when all the trim colors are all on. Hey, only 3 more to go.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 09:02:41 PM by Randy Powell »
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2011, 08:32:08 PM »
Well, the first trim color is on. And all I can say is OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Easily the sexiest looking plane I've ever built. The weird part is, there was zero problem with the taping. No bleed, no overspray, no issues. The paint laid down well, good coverage with just a single coat. And besides, the color is perfect. About the best tonal match I've managed.

Maybe all that paint I went through with prep paid off. The surface isn't perfect, but it's not bad. Based on my own criteria, it's an 18 point plane. maybe 18.5. 

Now, if I just keep from screwing it up. Pics when all the trim colors are all on. Hey, only 3 more to go.

I have at least 10 spots with little bits of overspray on mine, and 4 or 5 small places where paint pulled up.  What was the color Randy?
Matt Colan

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2011, 09:08:16 PM »
Matt,

Well, I can tell you but I'm not sure how much it will help.

Base color is Yellow Jacket Metallic. The first trim color is Toreador Red Metallic. Next one is called Atlantic Metallic, the third will be a custom color I blended myself, but it's a sort of very dark charcoal metallic with some gold flake in it. I'm debating on using a color call Obsidian Metallic for accent.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2011, 10:35:36 PM »
 Been a while since we've seen some pics. ;D #^
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2011, 07:21:14 AM »
I've seen pics and it is indeed Sexy....

I dont think photos do it justice.  I think i said " tidy and smooth "
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2011, 09:33:54 AM »
Yea, my camera went whack and the pictures I took are blurry and pretty dark compared to the actual unit. I'll have to mess with it. I'll take some pictures when I get all the trim colors on.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2011, 10:19:23 PM »
Pictures, please.  Just Photoshop in the other colors for now.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2011, 10:51:22 AM »
Patience, Howard. I'm just taping off for the next color now (tough I decided to strip the tape back off and redo it.).   ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #114 on: May 03, 2011, 11:16:43 AM »
Randy,
sure missed you flying sunday!
as for the plane, and pictures,, they have a special name for females that do what you are doing here,, you ***** Tease,, LOL, I am sure its gonna be tight!
Did you hear about the Gee Bee yet?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #115 on: May 03, 2011, 01:16:27 PM »
Mark,

Yea, I heard it's flown it's last flight. Happens. It's not like you didn't get your use out of it.   ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2011, 04:20:24 PM »
Ooooo!, I was sitting in a meeting this morning doodling while listening to a riveting speaker and got an idea. So, when I get home, I'll pull the tape I already laid down on the fuse and re-tape it. I had already planned to partially do that because I was unhappy with what I did. But now I can change it completely. What fun.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2011, 07:28:07 PM »
Mark,

Yea, I heard it's flown it's last flight. Happens. It's not like you didn't get your use out of it.   ;D
Yes, it certainly did pay its dues over the course of its lives. Was about three feet off the ground on the takeoff and the upline failed at the bellcrank. The saddest part is that with the Electrajet virtually flight worthy, it was to be the last time I flew her. I guess She knew her time was coming to an end and decided to go out in a blaze of glory,,
she is sadly missed,,

pardon my hijack on your thread, but here is her final resting pose,, ** as taps plays in the distance**
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #118 on: May 03, 2011, 08:35:11 PM »
 Bummer about the Gee Bee. Just add the take apart hardware and you're ready for the World's! y1

(It's kharma Mark, another reason to not fly electric.) :## VD~

Wayne Willey

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #119 on: May 03, 2011, 11:27:13 PM »
Wayne,, Install take apart? but its already taken apart,, not sure about the put together part though. It just destroyed the center inch of the wing,, as in GONE to splinters,,
as for electric,, go ahead, say all you want,, I may have to make a trip just to trounce ya with my electrics dude!,, LOL,,
 mw~
The real Karma is that had it been electric, I could have likely fixed it, NO fuel soaking with electrics,, this one has just a touch around the wing joint area,, which makes it kinda scarey to try a repair, besides, the old girl deserves a retirement party,, I am lopping off the tail and mounting it in the garage,, ( my real trophy room) lol,,

we now return you to Randy's thread subject,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2011, 12:32:28 AM »
 Yep, I just couldn't resist tossing in a little 'lectric jab there Mark. ;D

I keep trying to imagine what Randy is gonna blow us away with for a paint design. Like usual I'm sure he's got something really cool up his sleeve.

I don't know what design style they called it, but I keep thinking of the 60's trend when over the base color they would use a single line of tape and mask off what looked like an endless maze of overlapping rectangles and squares all back and forth etc. Then shade or spray over that with another color, usually something translucent. Then they'd take the tape off to reveal the maze of lines going all over the place. Sometimes you'd see that and then they would even go back and fill in the shapes with all different colors of the rainbow. That extra step must have been when they were on the really good stuff. There are lot's of variations of that type of painting style. I used to see this on drag cars and choppers all the time in the late 60's and early 70's.

That would be like really far out man. 8)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 08:58:28 PM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2011, 10:04:01 AM »
Wayne,

The general scheme I'm using used to be called Dragon Style back in the late 60s, early 70s. It's a series of stretched, vaguely triangular shapes the intersect and overlap. It's a pain to tape and get straight. Doing templates around curves is always problematic. I'm doing a fairly simplified version, but it should look interesting anyway. I'm about half done with the second color. Hopefully I can finish taping tonight and then get it masked off and shot. The last color I have some ideas for. We'll see what it looks like.

This plane is not perfect, but I'm happier with this finish than I've been with one in awhile. The last finish I did that I was this happy with was the Shoestring.

Hope to post pictures by the weekend.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2011, 08:15:58 PM »
Third color's on. In a couple of hours I'll pull tape and see what I've got.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2011, 08:35:27 PM »
...tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock... #^

Wayne Willey

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2011, 08:57:18 PM »
Yea, yea. One more color plus some trim stuff.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2011, 11:37:07 PM »
OK, I pulled tape and have to admit, it looks pretty cool so far. I have an idea for the last color. We'll see how that comes out.  If I go with the idea I have, the tape job is going to be very complicated, so it may take a bit.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #126 on: May 06, 2011, 04:07:55 PM »
More like Finesse Pinstripping. I'm on my second roll of 3/32" tape and will need to stop by Lowe's to get some more low tack masking tape tomorrow. Sigh...

Weird. I posted this but it's under Will's name. (Randy)

Wonder why that is?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 12:59:06 PM by Randy Powell »

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2011, 03:39:35 PM »
Hmmmmm.  Maybe I need to check out your credit card numbers?   #^ 
That is weird.  However, I had posted a smart remark about "Have you bought stock in 3M yet?" and maybe we clicked at the same time and the messages crossed swords?  It's still strange!  (But then, so am I.)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2011, 05:19:54 PM »
OK, taping the last color is about half done. Had to take a break. I always just want it done about this point.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline ash

• Commander
« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2011, 05:30:44 PM »
I saw that 3M comment yesterday. Gone now.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2011, 10:11:36 PM »
Used some Avery stuff I have to do some graphics. I probably should seal it with clear. Just about done taping. Man that is tough work. Oh well, more tomorrow and I can shoot paint.

Sigh....
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #131 on: May 10, 2011, 09:42:30 PM »
OK, the paints done. I just got the graphics done and just a bit of inking then the clear can go on.

About time and it doesn't look too bad. I'll shoot some pics after I get the graphics on.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #132 on: May 10, 2011, 10:20:02 PM »
 Cool! ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline ash

• Commander
« Reply #133 on: May 11, 2011, 03:02:48 AM »
This had better be good after all this teasing :D

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #134 on: May 11, 2011, 10:02:47 AM »
Depends on how you look at things I guess. I like it.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #135 on: May 11, 2011, 06:06:05 PM »
 I'd say if Randy likes it, it's gotta be good. y1

Wayne Willey

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2011, 09:59:50 PM »
Well, since ash feels teased, here's a teaser. Color looks a bit flat, but it's auto basecoat, so it's matte finish. It will be shinier later. Still needs ink and some detail stuff, but it's coming.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2011, 10:28:07 PM »
YEPPERS,, IT OUGHTA WORK,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2011, 10:36:42 PM »
TA-DAAAAA! Once again, great original, and tasteful, graphics! y1

Wayne Willey

Offline ash

• Commander
« Reply #139 on: May 12, 2011, 03:19:57 AM »
Ooooh. Looks like it might be worth the wait! :D

The drop shadow on the lettering is extra special.

PS, thanks for the hint of what's to come  H^^

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #140 on: May 12, 2011, 09:26:21 AM »
Brother Randy, That trim and lettering looks really sharp!  Here's to no more "trouble" with the finish! y1  It should be another "looker". ;D

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #141 on: May 12, 2011, 12:12:17 PM »
The base color really doesn't look like that in person. It's much brighter and much more yellow. I was trying to get an angle where the lights didn't wash it out, but it sort of dulled things. Oh well. A couple more night's of work and it should be ready for clear. We can hope.

Really, overall I'm fairly happy with it. The surface came out pretty well and the fits seem pretty good. Not the best, but good. I keep wanting to put more trim on, but my wife says no, it looks really good like it is, so I will probably resist the urge. The wheel pants and rudders are kinda busy, maybe that will make up for it.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #142 on: May 12, 2011, 02:55:05 PM »
Yep, Randy, you're right - it's even more of a teaser now!  faster, faster!  (I'm with ash, the drop shadows are a real plus!)

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #143 on: May 12, 2011, 07:58:41 PM »
Well, since ash feels teased, here's a teaser. Color looks a bit flat, but it's auto basecoat, so it's matte finish. It will be shinier later. Still needs ink and some detail stuff, but it's coming.

BBBBEEEAAAAUUUUTTTTIIIFFFFUUUUULLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Matt Colan

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2011, 01:31:19 AM »
I've seen the whole model is looks slick as slick can be :)
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2011, 09:40:15 AM »
Thanks, PJ. I started on some ink last night, didn't like it and wiped it back off. Then started again. I keep vacillating on how much to do. Probably minimal. I really want to get the clear on before I leave on Monday, so it will have to get done soon.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Airacobra

• Commander
« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2011, 10:15:43 AM »
Randy, nice photo, just enough to keep my interest. Actually I love to see your work and always look forward to your post on any subject.
Keith Bryant

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
Randy,
I simply am aghast at your lack of motivation, It is hard for me to fathom why you would choose to go on a silly vacation to far off lands when you are THIS close to finishing your new weapon, I guess its just you,, but really,

Priorities man,, priorities
Ok so maybe send it to me while your gone,, I can spray the clear and assemble it,, then I can get appearance points since I finished it  LL~
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2011, 01:04:46 PM »
Thanks for the comments (except Mark, to him    n1 ). It will be done soon enough. Maybe I'll leave the clear till I get back. Then the lacquer could really gas off.

I'm just happy that the plane is straight, isn't going to be too heavy and should fly fairly well.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2011, 02:20:10 PM »
Looking good so far.
Yea, I was trying to figure out just what color the base is ??
How did you do the letter shadowing ?

PJ, does he get a private showing ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here