News:

• May 02, 2024, 09:19:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finishing of the Oriental Plus (done)  (Read 6435 times)

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Finishing of the Oriental Plus (done)
« on: November 30, 2009, 07:30:55 PM »
Now that I have most of the building done with my Oriental Plus, it is time to start finishing the model.  The airplane is covered with light silkspan and more and more coats of clear are being applied to it.  The fillets are on the airplane now, and last time I worked on fillets, I spent close to a week working on them.  I spent Sunday sanding down the high spots and rough edges, and starting to work on cockpit detailing.

One note, the landing gear is not stock.  They are SV-11 wheelpants we got from Vic Macaluso's old SV-11 that went in, and the aluminum gear is also from that airplane and will be able to clear a 15 inch prop (not that that big a prop is going on there anyway).

The only construction I still need to do, is making the cowl.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 03:42:38 PM by Matt Colan »
Matt Colan

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Finishing of the Oriental Plus
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 12:57:18 PM »
Matt,

>>The airplane is covered with light silkspan and more and more coats of clear are being applied to it.<<

So, you have already started the finish.   ;D
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 03:57:29 PM »
Matt,

>>The airplane is covered with light silkspan and more and more coats of clear are being applied to it.<<

So, you have already started the finish.   ;D

I guess so!  I silkspan the airplane when it is still in individual components, so that is why I was still building it when I covered it.  In fact the fuse is pretty close to being ready for some primer, but still got a ways to go on it.

Matt Colan

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 04:19:24 PM »
Well, the thing has a little color on, just a little Brodak Gray, not the base color I'm going to be using, just to pick some of the places where I thought flaws would be.  It's amazing what you can see when color is applied.  If I left the plane alone and just painted it, it would be a good 15 foot finish, but I'm not going to be doing that.  I also got to brush on more clear, but it's getting there.  I've also been working on cockpit details, but can't really do much until I get a pilot.

I'm going to be coming up with a couple paint schemes, and I'll post them see what you all think  H^^
Matt Colan

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 05:29:01 PM »
Here's the paint scheme I decided to do.  It'll be tough to mask that checkerboard in the back, but it'll be worth it.

What does everybody think?  Any input I would really appreciate  H^^
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 05:51:00 PM by Matt Colan »
Matt Colan

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 06:22:14 PM »
I like that rear checkerboard. Sort of looks like the red is peeling off to expose the checks. I love that effect.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 11:19:19 AM »
Hello Matt,

I've drawn a rough sketch of your plane, which shows a variant you may want to consider.
I saw that in the wing and stab you have curved trim colors and thought it would be nice to somehow match those curves in the fuse trim colors as well.
Of course, there are no rules when it comes to designing a paint scheme, so this is only MY own opinion.

Regards,
Claudio.

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 03:36:38 PM »
Hello Matt,

I've drawn a rough sketch of your plane, which shows a variant you may want to consider.
I saw that in the wing and stab you have curved trim colors and thought it would be nice to somehow match those curves in the fuse trim colors as well.
Of course, there are no rules when it comes to designing a paint scheme, so this is only MY own opinion.

Regards,
Claudio.

Thanks a lot Claudio,

You got me thinking and now want to start experimenting again   ;D but I don't mind.

Matt Colan

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 04:40:15 PM »
Hi Matt....no one asked for my opinion, but that never stopped me before so here goes.  I like what Claudio has done for the side view, but I like that little flash of checkerboard you have on yours as well.  Maybe combine the two?  Its going to be a dilly when done.  Keep up the great work. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 05:13:34 PM »
You're welcome Matt.
Here you have some wings.
Just playing around... ;D sky's the limit!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 08:09:05 PM »
Claudio,

What did you draws those with? Just curious. I'm currently trying to teach myself to you a vector drawing program just so I can do paint scheme layouts.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 10:41:06 PM »
Pssstt.
hey Randy, AutoCad will do it pretty slick,, oh, and wait, if you do your plans in Cad, then you already have the profiles to start with,,,  S?P H^^

Bonus,, you can take the DXF files and import them to a vinyl cutter for cutting masks with,,

For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 11:02:26 PM »
Mark,

Yea, but I don't have AutoCAD. I do have a vector drawing program.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 05:21:34 AM »
Claudio,

What did you draws those with? Just curious. I'm currently trying to teach myself to you a vector drawing program just so I can do paint scheme layouts.

Randy,
I use Corel Graphics Suite X3 (ver. 13) to do all my CAD work, but any version will do it.
You can download it clicking here: http://www.softbull.com/coreldraw-graphics-suite-x3.html (free and fully functional, as this is not he latest version) or the free 15 days trial latest version (X4) from here: http://download.cnet.com/CorelDRAW-Graphics-Suite/3000-2191_4-10265849.html?tag=mncol

Both versions are  fully compatible with all laser cutting machines and plotters.

Once you get used to it, you'll LOVE it!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 12:04:46 PM »
Hi Claudio,

I assumed it was CorelDraw, but I wanted to ask. I'm currently learning a program called Inkscape. It's an opensource, linux based, vector drawing program that has extensive tutorials. I'm told it is very similar to CorelDraw. I'm a real novice at this point, but it's fun learning. It uses the SVG format, too. I'm sure using AutoCAD (if I knew how to run it) would be awesome, but this seems like it will work pretty well.

Thanks for the CorelDraw link. I may install that under VirturalBox and give it a try, but I imagine that Inkscape can handle the job pretty well, too.

Matt, sorry for taking this off topic.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 01:59:13 PM »
I downloaded the free CorelDraw X3 from the link above, but it's in Spanish. Is there an English version I missed? I've used Corel since version 2 and have always been happy with it. I'm currently using Ver 12.

Thanks,

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 05:56:08 PM »
Here's a question.  What is an easy way to mask checkerboard???

While on the subject, got some more clear on the airplane, and am almost done with cockpit detailing.

Matt Colan

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 10:54:39 PM »
Matt,

Well, I talked a little about this. Part of it depends on if you are going around curves. On flat surfaces, you can just cut out Frisket paper or similar (I found some Avery stuff and Office Depot that works very well). If you are going around curve (at least compound curves), then it gets interesting. You can use soft vinyl material or do it the hard way with 3M "blue" vinyl tape (just be sure you shoot some clear before the color to prevent bleed). It can be a painstaking process. I draw out the pattern on the vinyl adhesive paper and cut it out, then stick it on and seal it down. Then shoot some clear to seal it and blast away.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 06:39:02 AM »
Matt,

Well, I talked a little about this. Part of it depends on if you are going around curves. On flat surfaces, you can just cut out Frisket paper or similar (I found some Avery stuff and Office Depot that works very well). If you are going around curve (at least compound curves), then it gets interesting. You can use soft vinyl material or do it the hard way with 3M "blue" vinyl tape (just be sure you shoot some clear before the color to prevent bleed). It can be a painstaking process. I draw out the pattern on the vinyl adhesive paper and cut it out, then stick it on and seal it down. Then shoot some clear to seal it and blast away.

Thanks Randy,

I could probably use a vinyl mask on the wing and probably on the front of the fuse.  I don't know about the rear of the fuse, since it would go around a curve, but it is relatively flat.

Matt Colan

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 05:20:44 PM »
A single direction curve, IOW not a compound curve, will still take frisket fine. Of course centering the checkerboard on the fuse so its the same on both sides can be fun, but aside from that, it shouldnt be bad. I am assuming that its not really a compound curve since most fuse at the aft end are pretty straight.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 05:39:19 PM »
A single direction curve, IOW not a compound curve, will still take frisket fine. Of course centering the checkerboard on the fuse so its the same on both sides can be fun, but aside from that, it shouldnt be bad. I am assuming that its not really a compound curve since most fuse at the aft end are pretty straight.

Behind the pipe tunnel is the tail block which is just a 90 degree corner from side to bottom, so I'd say that could be done, and this is probably how I will end up doing it
Matt Colan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 08:34:34 AM »
I don't know if the thread is still here or not, but Sparky showed how he did the Checker board on his p-47's.  If I remember right he used felt tip black markers.  Maybe he jump in on this,
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Tomlin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 09:00:12 PM »
Claudio,

Did you sign up and register for this program and if so, are you getting a lot of junk mail?  I don't like giving out my e-mail and all the information they are requesting.  Just wondering if you were experiencing any problems with it.

Thanks,

John

Randy,
I use Corel Graphics Suite X3 (ver. 13) to do all my CAD work, but any version will do it.
You can download it clicking here: http://www.softbull.com/coreldraw-graphics-suite-x3.html (free and fully functional, as this is not he latest version) or the free 15 days trial latest version (X4) from here: http://download.cnet.com/CorelDRAW-Graphics-Suite/3000-2191_4-10265849.html?tag=mncol

Both versions are  fully compatible with all laser cutting machines and plotters.

Once you get used to it, you'll LOVE it!

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 02:07:33 AM »
Claudio,

Did you sign up and register for this program and if so, are you getting a lot of junk mail?  I don't like giving out my e-mail and all the information they are requesting.  Just wondering if you were experiencing any problems with it.

Thanks,

John

John,
No, I didn't downloaded this program. A friend of mine lend me the installer CD five years ago.
Buy I downloaded several other free programs and got very few non wanted mails.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 10:41:09 AM »
When I register for this sort of stuff, I use an email account that has severe spam filter settings (It's a yahoo account). Pretty much dumps anything that isn't in the address book. I keep that account around for just that reason. And I don't use my real physical address, either. Probably not really kosher, but I feel like if they are going to spam me, they are fair game.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline John Tomlin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2010, 05:32:56 PM »
Well, I downloaded the alleged free one (3X) and they say 15 day free trial.  I checked on the price of the 4X and WOW! it was like $329.  I can buy a whole bunch of plans for that.  So, at the end of 15 days, does it disappear????  I know I'm not paying $329. ???

John

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2010, 01:42:15 PM »
Nice plane Matt, I kinda thought you might have it painted by now?  Too much snow and ice up there or is
school work getting in the way of artistry?

Jim Pollock  H^^

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2010, 06:42:37 PM »
Nice plane Matt, I kinda thought you might have it painted by now?  Too much snow and ice up there or is
school work getting in the way of artistry?

Jim Pollock  H^^

More school work.  Basketball ends tomorrow so now I can start working on the plane during the weekends.  Also I got February vacation coming up in 1 week  #^
Matt Colan

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2010, 06:48:33 AM »
After a couple of weeks of not being able to work on the plane due to school work and baskteball, I finally got the canopy attached, so finishing is able to really start to take off as I am now on winter vacation.  I'm aiming to have the plane painted by the end of vacation which ends on March 2nd.

Matt Colan

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2010, 07:00:40 AM »
Another way of working on paint finishes. Steve Buso drawing that i use for Pattermaster paint designs.
Jose Modesto

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2010, 06:03:59 PM »
Canopy is now attached with epoxylite drying up right now.  I also started sanding the wings, and am hoping to give the whole plane a coat of primer tomorrow.  #^
Matt Colan

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Finishing of the Oriental Plus (Pics (in prime)
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2010, 04:26:21 PM »
Here is the plane in prime, plus a couple cockpit detailing photos.  Overall I am happy with how it turned out, it has it's flaws but they are definitely fixable.  The control surfaces maybe have 3-5 flaws TOTAL on all surfaces (by that I mean there is maybe one or two flaws per control surface).

Had a moment while I was sanding the plane.  I was gathering the flaps and the elevators, but couldn't find the stab.  I was looking and looking but couldn't find it.  I asked grandpa where the stab was and he says it's on the plane  LL~  HB~>

Matt Colan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2010, 09:45:06 AM »
You are too young to be having moments like that.  It does get exasperating when I can't find something I just laid down and can't find it.  The daughter walks in and asks what I am looking for.  I tell her, then she reaches over and picks it up off the bench(bed right now). 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2010, 10:04:21 AM »
>>I asked grandpa where the stab was and he says it's on the plane<<

That's how you know to knock off for the day. You run all over the shop looking for a tool only to realize that it's in your left hand. Definitely time to knock off.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2010, 10:39:56 AM »
>>I asked grandpa where the stab was and he says it's on the plane<<

That's how you know to knock off for the day. You run all over the shop looking for a tool only to realize that it's in your left hand. Definitely time to knock off.
BEEN THERE...DUN'DONE THAT LATELY...ALL TOO OFTEN! LL~
Don Shultz

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2010, 04:08:50 PM »
Spent about 4 1/2 hours sanding the plane today, and my arm is sore.

Grandpa had a moment today also.  He had already painted blue on one wing panel on his Big Job, just to see how it looked with the orange.  He liked it and started taping off the rest of the trim.  He cut a piece of paper and i asked him what he was doing.  He looks at me and says he's masking the blue, then looks at the wing he was going to tape off only to discover that there was blue on that wing.  In turn he says, it's almost as bad as me asking where the stab is!

Matt Colan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2010, 10:38:16 AM »
Yep, it sounds like you and grandpa need some time off.   Like a trip to Tuscon for the Vintage Stunt Championships.  It is amazing how someone idea that shouldn't work turned into a week long love fest of stuntdom. #^ #^ #^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2010, 01:29:19 PM »
Its looking great Matt,
keep on plugging,
as one whom has sanded a LOT recently,, ( see avenger long story) lol,
I can commiserate with the sore arm syndrome!
its all worth it though when the clear goes on.
Today I moved the plane out of the shop to the extension part of the building , had to take it outside to get there. The sun hit it just right as I wheeled it outside and I said,, HMMMMM yeah, its worth it,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2010, 03:42:38 PM »
Its looking great Matt,
keep on plugging,
as one whom has sanded a LOT recently,, ( see avenger long story) lol,
I can commiserate with the sore arm syndrome!
its all worth it though when the clear goes on.
Today I moved the plane out of the shop to the extension part of the building , had to take it outside to get there. The sun hit it just right as I wheeled it outside and I said,, HMMMMM yeah, its worth it,,

Thanks Mark!!!!  Tomorrow, I'm going to sand down the 2 coats of clear I put on today, then apply some silver!  Hopefully it'll look like one of Windy's planes!!!!!
Matt Colan

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2010, 07:51:54 PM »
WOW Matt!!!!

Looking real good!!
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2010, 10:44:51 AM »
No work can be done on the Oriental today.  Due to this storm, I'm snowed in, and grandpa is busy trying to beat the storm in terms of snowblowing.

Since I can't do anything today, enjoy a picture of my Ares next to our bird bath in warmer times.

Matt Colan

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2010, 08:24:31 PM »
Psyche!!!  I managed to get the plane in silver tonight, and I thought it looked good when it was in prime, it looks awful in silver!  Now I know why Windy and others use Silver as a base because it SHOWS EVERYTHING!!!!!  At least my arm will be in shape when I finish this plane.

Trust me, the pictures make it look good, it really doesn't at all, especially since I shot the silver on fairly thin with an airbrush.

First pic is the sanded primer
2nd pic is the plane in silver
Matt Colan

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2010, 12:13:25 AM »
Nothin that cant be fixed with a liberal dose of sandpaper and elbow grease,, chin up, its gonna be great
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2010, 11:17:06 AM »
Matt,

Mark's right, of course. As with any finish, you have to decide at what level you say, that's good enough. Sounds like with the current plane you're not yet a the point where you can say, OK, that's as good as it's going to get. Keep sanding. You'll be happier in the end.

No finish is ever completed, only abandoned.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2010, 03:53:18 PM »
Matt,

Mark's right, of course. As with any finish, you have to decide at what level you say, that's good enough. Sounds like with the current plane you're not yet a the point where you can say, OK, that's as good as it's going to get. Keep sanding. You'll be happier in the end.

No finish is ever completed, only abandoned.

I'm trying to make the plane look good, by good I mean you can count the number of flaws and still have fingers left over.

I did sand down the silver today with a little help from grandpa (half of top outboard wing, and inboard stab), otherwise my arm would've fallen off.  The whole thing was sanded down with 600 to eliminate scratches.  After that we sprayed on a heavy coat of primer to hopefully fill the ridges in the sheeting, so tomorrow I'm going to sand that, and then spray on more silver.  If I'm content with what the silver shows, my arm will be jumping out of it's socket for joy, then the base color of white will go on.  Hopefully by Sunday, base color will be on, and on my last day of vacation (Tuesday), I want the trim to be on (red and blue, the black can wait, since that is only going to be inked on, a tip I got from Windy on how to do checkerboards).

Randy, I like that little phrase you put at the end of your post H^^
Matt Colan

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2010, 03:06:49 PM »
Got most of the primer sanded off, but still need to sand the bottom of the wings, the wheelpants, and the tip weight box.  I'm done for tonight because my arm is about to fall off.  What a lot of work (but it will be worth it)
Matt Colan

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2010, 08:53:38 PM »
Looking good you young whipper snapper. No go do your home work, You're making us olde fahrts  look bad. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Can't wait to see it in color Matt.  H^^

Thanks Ty.  The base color is on now (silver), and now here is why, and it is hard to say this but, the d***n thing is overweight, but grandpa says it isn't.  I still need to sand out this last batch of prime he put on (he is getting VERY trigger happy).  Grandpa wanted to prime on the bad spots meanwhile I reached the point of it is good enough, but he didn't think so.

I weighed it and the airframe weighs 39 ounces (story coming) and with the powertrain 53 ounces  HB~>  HB~>  HB~> .  Now I began thinking of ways to cut weight, and I looked at the landing gear, weighed the aluminum strut and the thing weighs 3.5 ounces!!!!!!!!!!!!  Now I'm probably going to spend some money and get carbon fiber wheelpants from Windy when he gets back from VSC.  So now, take away 3.5 ounces and the thing now weighs with everything ready to fly, 50 ounces.  Now tomorrow, I am MAKING grandpa help me sand the hell out of it, and hopefully get rid of 3 ounces (I know he didn't spray on that much, but I need to get rid of something).  If I get rid of the 3 ounces, it now weighs 47, which is now becoming decent.  I looked at the wing loading (assuming I did the calculations right) and it is ok as of right now.

I keep insisting the darn thing is overweight, and grandpa insists that it is fine and I'm making myself crazy (hopefully he is).  He weighed his rebuilt Big Job, and that plane (and really has loaded paint on) weighs 47 ounces, and that doesn't make me happy at all.

I'll let you guys know how much weight I take off tomorrow.  I am now coming up with a different paint scheme to keep the weight down.  HB~>

Matt Colan

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2010, 11:48:54 PM »
>>I am now coming up with a different paint scheme to keep the weight down.<<

Matt,

Now you know why I ended up with the paint scheme I did on my last PA plane. All I could think of was, where can I cut weight.

I sometimes think it's worse the other way. The Silver Slider I built was ridiculous light before finish. so I did worry too much about how much paint I was putting on. Big mistake. I ended up probably 8 oz overweight. Maybe it's a good thing, worrying about weight, when you are finishing.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2010, 12:55:32 AM »
>>I am now coming up with a different paint scheme to keep the weight down.<<

I sometimes think it's worse the other way. The Silver Slider I built was ridiculous light before finish. so I did worry too much about how much paint I was putting on. Big mistake. I ended up probably 8 oz overweight. Maybe it's a good thing, worrying about weight, when you are finishing.

Randy,,
I have no official comment at this time!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here