News:

• May 03, 2024, 07:44:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finally...solution for Polyspan fuzzies  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Finally...solution for Polyspan fuzzies
« on: August 16, 2012, 10:28:43 AM »
Not sure how I did it, but I finally got a panel of Polyspan on wrong side out.  Didn't realize it until it was too later to repair due the construction of the wing panel ('55 Stuntwing).  What a mess!  I applied two coats of Minnwax laquer sealer to seal the Polyspan and allow the fuzzies to harden.  Nothing worked to correct the problem.  Then, I remembered my wife's "sweater fuzz remover".  It worked perfectly!  No more fuzzies!  Absolutely amazing!  I considered an electric razor, but the screen holes were too small.  See photos.  Available at WalMart for a few dollars.

By the way (no lectures please), the white "paint" on the wing panel is a light coat of solvent based Kilz.  I use it under the gray primer to keep from sanding into the Polyspan.  Also highlights dings in the balsa.  Works very well.

Paul

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Finally...solution for Polyspan fuzzies
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 08:28:13 AM »

Good tip, thanks... H^^
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 06:22:24 PM »
What do you use for After Shave?  LL~
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 07:31:58 PM »
What do you use for After Shave?  LL~

DupliColor and PPG.  Chicks love it!!!

Online Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 06:15:05 AM »
Doug, Paul, brilliant! The best laugh I've had today. Thank you.  H^^ LL~ y1

Offline BrianW517

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 11:53:52 PM »
  H^^  D>K  S?P Does the shaver have a larger head version ?  #^ ??? H^^

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 10:40:32 AM »
By the way (no lectures please), the white "paint" on the wing panel is a light coat of solvent based Kilz.
Paul
I made some custom light fixtures for installation on a vaulted cieling,  material was MDF and solid wood.  For the primer coat I used the aerosol version of Kiltz.  It dried pretty quick and when I sanded to get it smooth for topcoat, it was very easy to sand and powdered off like snow.  I always thought it had potential as a primer coat under a dope finish.  Never got around to trying but looks like you have done the experimentation for me..  Did you use the aerosol can or brushed it on ? 
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 06:25:06 PM »
Allen,

I use the spray can.  I have tried brushing it, but it streaks pretty bad.  I do not use dope so I don't know the results, but I have used DupliColor and Rustoleum auto primer over it with excellent results.  I don't use the Kilz as a filler/primer because of the weight.  Just a color coat under the gray primer to know when to stop sanding before damaging the Polyspan.  Over sheeted surfaces, the dings will show up as small areas of gray where the primer is left in the low spot.  Never had a problem using it.

Paul

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 04:29:18 AM »
Allen,

I use the spray can.  I have tried brushing it, but it streaks pretty bad.  I do not use dope so I don't know the results, but I have used DupliColor and Rustoleum auto primer over it with excellent results.  I don't use the Kilz as a filler/primer because of the weight.  Just a color coat under the gray primer to know when to stop sanding before damaging the Polyspan.  Over sheeted surfaces, the dings will show up as small areas of gray where the primer is left in the low spot.  Never had a problem using it.

Paul
Yea now that I think about the aerosol Kiltz is oil base.  Spraying dope on top of that would not be good idea.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here