News:

• May 01, 2024, 03:00:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Film on fillets  (Read 936 times)

Offline Chris Keller

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Film on fillets
« on: April 21, 2010, 10:47:27 AM »
I need some advice. Ill be building a ringmaster in somewhat of a hurry and am trying to plan out the finish. One area i keep getting stuck on is the wing fillets. I want to ultracoat the wings and paint the fuselage with something (maybe dope, maybe rustoleum). My quandry is the fillets. Should i cover the wing with the film running right up to the fuse and then apply the fillets, or should i leave a little space between the fuse and the film for the epoxy to stick to the wood. Then, when i paint the fuse, the fillets will be painted and likely there will a slight overlap of paint on the ultracoat film. Will dope or rustoleum even stick to ultracoat? This may seem pretty elementary to most of you, but i usually just do dope and silkspan and never have to think about compatability/adhesion. I have never used film before and am just wondering. Thanks for your help!

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
Re: Film on fillets
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 04:02:19 PM »
Stop film short of fuse fillet area. 
Install fillet and finish it with whatever you use on the fuse. 
Overlap the fuse/fillet finish on top of film. 
Clean and scuff up film for adhesion of topcoat..
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 09:11:01 AM »
Do as Alan says.  I leave about an inch between the edge of the covering and the fuse.  Even cover the stab/elevator same way.  Don't forget to clean the covering real good before masking and painting. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 05:34:33 PM »
I would go with Alan and Doc's advice.  I just wrapped film up on a fillet and it didn't turn out that great.  It would have been a whole lot simpler to put the fillet over the film and it would have looked much better.  Live and learn. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Chris Keller

• 2016 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 10:11:16 PM »
Thanks all, i have a ringmaster to build and a short time to do it in. Im going for a quick and dirty finish, but i also want it to look presentable at the same time. Im thinking ultracoat wings and rustoleum/rattlecan polyurethane on the fuse.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 09:31:08 AM »
That should work as most of mine with MonoKote/plastic covering had either dope or epoxy on the fuselage extended out on to the wing/tail sufaces. H^^

PS:In fact go read Alan Brickhaus' article in Flying Models of the finish of the Olympus.  jeh
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 03:40:48 AM »
Here's my quick & dirty ring .Transparent ultracote KlassKote on the nose and Klasskote clear every where else.
The fillets are JB Weld and the model weights just 26oz. For some reason at last years nats it happened 2 win the sprit of 52 award. The model took about a week and a half 2 complete.
Later,
Evolve or get left behind!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here