News:

• May 17, 2024, 11:14:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fancherized Twister  (Read 1782 times)

Offline Jerry Reider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Fancherized Twister
« on: August 23, 2010, 08:57:43 PM »
Here's a picture of my Fancherized Twister.  I built it from the PAMPA plans and it has a Fox 40 on it.  I've flown it maybe 6 or 7 times.  It's pretty much trimmed out except I will probably speed the elevator up a bit.  Flies great so far.  I have the elevator/flap controls set up 1:1 as the plans suggested to start out.  I'm still working on finding the right diameter and pitch on the prop.  I've got an 11X5 Zinger on it right now.  I started with a 10X6 Top Flight but that was pulling it too fast.  I haven't weighed it yet but it's nice and light.  I went with the DuBro Ball Links, 1/4" arrow shafts, double control horns on the flaps and a 3" bellcrank for the controls.  It has adjustable leadouts and a weight box on the outer tip.  Fuselage is finished in Rustoleum and the wing and tail surfaces are Chrome Monokote.  Nose is 1/16" ply doublers with 1/2" balsa triplers.  It has an adjustable tank height, the wing has half ribs and shear webbing.  I shortened the nose by 3/8" anticipating the extra weight of the Fox 40 but I ended up mounting it at the same place where the plans show the recommended LA 25 to be mounted.  It didn't take any weight on the tail to get the CG.
Jerry

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Fancherized Twister
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
Jerry, super nice looking Twister!!  One of my favorites at the time for my competition level, you can take two planes to a local contest and fly in almost every event, the Twister can be Profile, Classic or N30 and Pampa and add a Ringmaster or such for OTS. Nice job   y1
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 10:48:21 PM »
NICE!

Where did you get that tank?
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 12:38:48 AM »
That's a 4 oz. Brodak tank.  I silver soldered the brass tabs on it for mounting.  The brass tabs are a stock item from the hobby shop.  I had to rebend them to get the right spacing to fit the holes that I predrilled in the fuselage.  Next time I'll be smart enough to solder the tabs on the tank THEN space the holes to match on the fuselage.   HB~>  
I didn't mention it above but I used three coats of Minwax water-based polycrylic on the fuselage before the spray can enamel primer, sanding it between each coat.  I finished it with two coats of Rustoleum.  One light coat of Rustoleum just to get it sticky then in about 10 minutes a second finish coat to get the gloss.  Next time I think I'll also do the tail surfaces and the flaps with the Minwax because I'm really not quite happy with the grain that showed through on the horizontal stab, the elevator and the flaps.  Everything shows through the chrome Monokote.  Maybe Balsarite would be the thing to use under the Monokote.  I'll have to do some research on that.  I've never used Balsarite.
Here's another picture.  I didn't have my camera on the right setting when I took the pictures and the picture files are too big to post more than one per post.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 04:15:37 PM by Jerry Reider »
Jerry

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 04:01:48 PM »
HI Jerry,

A good looking profile, and the Fancher/Twister is a great flier.   You should be happy with that one!

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 06:56:20 PM »
Nice lookin F/T Jerry. What kind of camera do you have ? My HP and Kodak come with programs that let you down load and then resize. It took me a little experimentin to figure everything out but mine get down to about 140 kb each.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 08:53:45 PM »
Nice lookin F/T Jerry. What kind of camera do you have ? My HP and Kodak come with programs that let you down load and then resize. It took me a little experimentin to figure everything out but mine get down to about 140 kb each.
Thanks for the compliments guys.  I've got a Nikon Coolpix Leester.  I usually set it on 3m, whatever that means.  That makes the file size small enough that I can post about 6 to 8 pics per post.  I suppose I cold reduce the file size on my computer but I haven't figured out how it do it yet.  I haven't spent much time looking into it.  I'll get a look at how to do it.  Maybe I'll even read the directions on my photo program as a last resort.
Jerry

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 09:31:06 PM »
Just testing this out.  I think I found out how to reduce the file size of the pictures.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 11:54:35 PM by Jerry Reider »
Jerry

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 10:50:37 PM »
Hello Jerry,

Who makes and where did you get the dual control horn you've used on your Twister?  I always have trouble fitting two ball joint links on the same horn.  Looks like the answer to my problems!

Thanks,

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 11:38:50 PM »
Hello Jerry,

Who makes and where did you get the dual control horn you've used on your Twister?  I always have trouble fitting two ball joint links on the same horn.  Looks like the answer to my problems!

Thanks,

Joe

Actually it's just two control horns side by side Joe.  The inner one is a left hand control horn and the other one is a "T" style control horn.  The plans said double control horns on the flaps was optoinal.  The plans didn't show the dual control horns and that's just what I came up with.  I also noticed that two ball links do not fit on one horn.
Jerry

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 10:02:56 AM »
I have put two ball links on horns.  In fact in order to get the elevator movement I needed I used a longer 4-40 machine screw with locking tap.  Ball link on each side of the horn. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here