News:

• May 07, 2024, 08:38:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Exactly who is spraying dope?  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Exactly who is spraying dope?
« on: May 20, 2012, 09:59:28 AM »
OK, we know my feelings about dope.

Negative to say the least because of the limited brushing characteristics of which dope has.

Should say that dope should be applied, not brushed.

Anyway, for those that find brushing dope taxing, are you now spraying it on?

My guess is there's plenty of modelers who spray dope and find this application method more user friendly.

Correct?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Exactly who is spraying dope?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 12:47:29 PM »
I have yet to use a paint product that didn't work out much better sprayed than painted.

Folks keep telling me that you can do a good job with brushed-on dope with enough patience.  Apparently I lack patience.

When I've had the chance to spray the stuff in the past, everything worked out much better.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 01:39:19 PM »
seems like there were other replies to this thread,, did they disapear?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 11:47:43 PM »
I brush on several coats on the raw balsa (sanding between coats) before applying silkspan or silk (using a brush) but from that point on I only spray.
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 08:29:23 AM »
I brush dope up to the point where covering in just about filled (3-4 heavy coats) and then switch over to spraying rest of finish.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 09:01:05 AM »
I brush dope up to the point where covering in just about filled (3-4 heavy coats) and then switch over to spraying rest of finish.

I should have mentioned that my interest in spraying was for clear dope only. Actually in preperation before applying silk.

Mark, there's a similar Thread, probably you think something was removed?

Charles

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 09:24:19 AM »
Charles, if you are wanting to spray the dope prior to applying silk,, plan on puttin on a LOT more than the nominally suggested three coats. Three coats prior to silk application is almost always brushed, and not thinned,, perhaps this is why your silk is not sticking, there is not enough dope under the silk to adhere
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 09:39:42 AM »
I should have mentioned that my interest in spraying was for clear dope only. Actually in preperation before applying silk.

Egad.  If it's an open framework you'll waste dope because most of your spray will miss the wood and because of overspray, you'll needlessly smell up the place, and as Mark said you'll need a lot more coats because you can lay it on thicker when it's brushed.

Brushed-on dope works just fine for just about everything up until the filler coats and the color coats -- and there's plenty of people on this forum who would say that it works fine on the filler coats, too.  In fact, full scale practice has you brushing the dope on for the first coats, too -- so it's not just a home workshop peculiarity.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 11:45:46 AM »
I posted here yesterday and the post is gone. That's interesting.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 08:34:02 PM »
Guys!

Tim, Mark, Randy, Gene, Ty, and Allan,

Gotta thank all of you for the advice.

Especially those that have repeatedly offered advice in other Threads I started about the same subject.

This dope thing I found extremely difficult in the beginning. Had to remove silk once from the elevator and I got so frustrated I almost tossed the thing. I never mentioned this, but I was going to remake it solid, I do have extra wood, but I didn't and your advice plus your interest got me through this.

The learning process and abilities. Just because someone has abilities in one area doesn't mean they can easily carry them over to others, especially when one has no relationship to the other.

Possibly my age, a layoff from building, nervousness, not asking for advice in the beginning, I don't know why I couldn't manage my first attempt at brushing dope and silking?

Well and finally, I did get the elevator silked on all sides. I used four pieces to make the task easier. Turns out, it was easy after all. Advice helps, encouragement helps, and then you just go do it.

I feel better now that I have the elevator behind me. I'll tackle the stab next. Four small areas that will give me a bit more experience before I cover the wings. Will I be nervous covering the wings? Probably.  n~

Here's the results of your help and my efforts.

Thanks again,

Charles

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here