News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:30:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dying Dope!  (Read 2760 times)

Offline Neville Legg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Dying Dope!
« on: August 31, 2008, 03:15:45 PM »
Can anyone tell me if there is a universal dye that will tint clear dope?
I'm in England, and I can't find any info. on this subject.

Cheers   Neville
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: Dying Dope!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 04:34:07 PM »
Go to most any "Arts & Crafts" or "Artist's Supply" store and get "dry pigments", available in a wide range of colors. These are ground to a very fine powder, and unless you work in a totally draft-free environment, a dust mask would be good to use. Mix the pigment(s) in thinner and stir/shake/agitate thoroughly, and then add the colored thinner to the clear dope. The Dry Pigments can be expensive, but a little goes a l-o-n-n-g way, so add sparingly. FWIW, these pigments also work well with epoxy and polyester resins.

When fuel-proofing engine/tank compartments, I always add a bit of tint to the epoxy so I can see missed spots or where I've overdone it. The color change is quite revealing. 1/8 teaspoon of pigment added to 1 ounce of epoxy is very noticeable!

I have also heard/read that Aniline Dyes will work to color clear dope, but I have not used them, and cannot make promises.

Ralph
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 06:42:18 PM »
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 07:16:31 PM »
I have used Alumilinte dye that is used for casting plastics. It is available at Hobby Lobby or google it as they do have a website. I used the orange on this plane and found it mixes with laquer thinner just fine. Then just add to clear dope. It is very intense and only requires a few drops. Don't even get it near anything you don't want dyed. I would recomend spraying it on and covering that with clear, and until you get several coats of clear on it do not sand. If you do break through the clear into the tinted dope it will get on everything and is hard to remove. This is a liquid dye, but in the bottle I got it was almost dried out. Just added thinner and it was fine.
Jim Kraft

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 11:04:49 PM »
Are you trying to tint it (as in see through finish) or make your own opaque dopes (like in regular, colored paints)?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 10:49:54 AM »
Aniline dyes are the old standard for dope dyes from my old days.  They were available from FAI Model Supply as a partially pre-mixed liquid.   They used to be available in powder form, but not readily found today.  Mix as noted, dissolve in thinner.   To get a very even color, brush the dyed thinner directly to the wood before any other finish, then clear on top.   Just like staining, gives a really deep finish.   A couple of dyed dope coats on silk or tissue really makes a see-thru finish stand out.

One thing I noticed is that you can't use too much in the thinner.  It just won't dissolve if there's too much, just sort of congeals in the bottom, add thinner until it fully dissolves. 
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Captain
  • Just a student of stunt
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 01:22:46 PM »
GEORGE...Have you tried them? Can you let us know how they worked? I'm very interested!  #^
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 03:07:48 PM »
The best solution for a "dyed silkspan look" has been shown by Ed Ruane and Mike Haverly. About 10% pigmented dope/clear dope gives a great look. Just spray it on right over the clear base. Much less likely to fade with exposure to sunlight, too. To me, this is the only way to go. I did free flight for a lot of years, and colored tissue always looks cool when new, but quickly fades to ugly.   H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 07:29:56 PM »
Pete Peterson, the king of transparent finishes around here, has used a lot of different stuff. We were out flying today and he had his new Jamison out with the transparent yellow base color (guys does awfully nice work). He used House of Color Kandy Koncentrate in clear for the tinting. It has the advantage of being permanent (won't fade) and outstanding UV protection. Sure looked nice.

Someday I'll build a plane with clean enough structure to do this.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 03:22:18 AM »
Thanks for all the info. chaps. 
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, been away all week, and didn't have a laptop, or access to a PC.
What I want to do, is just tint the dope for a translucent effect, have any of you done this from the first coat??

Cheers  Neville
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline Jim Treace

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • 1979 600 Aerostar N79JT
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 08:34:05 AM »
Aniline dyes are the old standard for dope dyes from my old days.  They were available from FAI Model Supply as a partially pre-mixed liquid.   They used to be available in powder form, but not readily found today.  Mix as noted, dissolve in thinner.   To get a very even color, brush the dyed thinner directly to the wood before any other finish, then clear on top.   Just like staining, gives a really deep finish.   A couple of dyed dope coats on silk or tissue really makes a see-thru finish stand out.One thing I noticed is that you can't use too much in the thinner.  It just won't dissolve if there's too much, just sort of congeals in the bottom, add thinner until it fully dissolves. 
Don:
I am just going to tint color the wing and elevator using tinted dope. Rest of plane is opaque dope. On the initial tinting, do I just use the tinted dope on all the areas that are covered (polyspan in my case)?  Question: Since the covering will also cover the LE & TE,  do I pre-tint the LE and TE wood, then apply the covering  and tint again all areas covered?
I think I asked this correctly. I have plenty of time to figure this out. Can't do much painting here in FL right now @ 85% plus humidity outside and this is a dry day!
Jim
Jim Treace
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL &
Paris, TN
AMA 855251 "Too soon we grow old...Too late we grow wise"

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 10:57:11 AM »
Tinting the wood before covering will accent the framing and make it show up better.  Just brush on some dyed thinner BEFORE any other finish.

I've never dyed the covering itself, but tinted dope the color of the covering will accent the colors.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Jim Treace

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • 1979 600 Aerostar N79JT
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 12:52:50 PM »
Don, thanks. Perfect! Once I get this completed, I'll post pictures.
Jim Treace
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL &
Paris, TN
AMA 855251 "Too soon we grow old...Too late we grow wise"

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 09:55:56 AM »
GEORGE...Have you tried them? Can you let us know how they worked? I'm very interested!  #^

Scott,

I have not tried them. I was just answering Neville's request for sources. If I do try them I will come back and post.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here