News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:49:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dyed finish  (Read 1272 times)

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Dyed finish
« on: February 24, 2009, 09:25:29 PM »
I just finished reading Pete Peterson's article in the latest Stunt News using the House of Color dye.  He said the color charts showed the colors over color base coats so my question is can you use these colors over a base color for a non transparent finish?

James
AMA 491167

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Dyed finish
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 09:10:44 AM »
James,
Yes you can, thats the original prupose of these dyes. typically they are used over metallic base coats. I have used them over pearl base coats too. One thing to note, if you use them over a solid base, it wont add much to the effect. It needs the "sparkly stuff" under it to play with the light
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 06:09:30 PM »
Mark,

Thanks, the reason I asked is because I was thinking of having different choices for trim colors.

James
AMA 491167

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 07:42:26 AM »
I read that article also, would like to try a transparent finish myself sometime.  The HOK Kandy Koncentrates,  are they actually a dye (thin).

I bought several pints of Brodak Candy colors some time ago.  I dont plan on using them as intended (on top of silver/gold base) after reading some of the experiences here on this forum.  I was wondering if I could do a transparent finish by using the candy color dope by themselves (no base color) after building up a substrate with cleardope and filler.   Then of course a final clear topcoat. 
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 10:32:57 AM »
Allen,
the concentrates are used to create a tinted  clear just like the brodak candy colors,, HOWEVER for it not to fade, you need a clear that has UV protection in it,, like Urethane clears,, or keep your plane covered all the time,,,
On reflection, I should metion that some dyes are much more fade resistant that others, I know house of kolor to be some of the most stable
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here