News:

• April 30, 2024, 03:02:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Duplicolr primer over dope  (Read 898 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Duplicolr primer over dope
« on: November 29, 2009, 09:38:34 AM »
Wondering if anyone knows if you can mix and match Duplicator Sandable primer and dope? In other words can you put the primer over dope then dope on top of that? I know I can do a test but that would take days waiting for stuff to dry, hoping someone has already done it.

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Duplicolr primer over dope
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 10:26:02 AM »
I've done it Bob. On my Torino, I filled the Polyspan with dope, then used Duplicolor primer over it. I then used Duplicolor in spray cans for the base and trim colors. After that, I clear coated with dope.

One thing I found was that there is some sort of reaction, but not serious. For about a month afterwards, the finish seemed like it was orange peeled. It has laid down,, and looks good now.

I am tempted to wonder if it would not have happened if I'd let the dope gas off more, instead of trying to rush the finish.

Here's a few pics
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 11:58:18 AM »
I've used the Duplicolor lacquer based sandable primer before. Seemed to work fine. Powdered off nicely when sanded. I liked the stuff. But according to my local CSK Auto guy (where I bought the stuff), it is no longer available in the People's Republic of Washington. I haven't been about to find it around here for more than a year.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 12:20:08 PM by Randy Powell »
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 01:22:57 PM »
John, good lookin airplane.. All I'm concerned about is overspraying the dope filler coat when I spray the primer on the SLC, looks like it won't be a problem thanks..

Randy, thankfully it's still available in Oklahoma, you can even get it in a couple colors white and grey. The tree huggers haven't quite got a foot hold here yet but am sure it's coming. I'm for firing up anything that dumps gas into the atmosphere, we just had the coldest October on record, this global warming thing ain't working well enough.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 10:19:40 AM »
Well I'll be.... Went to the auto parts store to pick up a can of white Duplicolor primer and ran across a can that's labled "Adhesion Promoter". Says " Improves adhesion of all paints. Quick dry clear primer. Idea for automotive plastics." It's also by Duplicolor, in fine print says "Ideal for plastics, fiberglass and bumpers." Couldn't help but buy a can, may just be THE solution to dope over SLC.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 10:29:10 AM »
Go to the Duplicolor site and you'll find all manner of dcool products. They have sure branched out from their original little nail polish bottles of automotive touch-up paint. They have a good range of custom colors including candies and even a very chrome-like paint as well as that magical stuff that changes color at different angles. I haven't used most of it, but have had excellent results with the sandable primers and filler promers (by the way, they're also available in red) and some of the rattle can colors. Their clear isn't fuel proof, but I've had good results with Brodak clear. I've also sprayed Brodak color over the primers with excellent results, I really like thier products but unfortunatelyt the only way to know about some of them for our uses is to try it, they have stuff I intend to try, but not right away.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here