News:

• May 02, 2024, 12:02:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dupli color  (Read 2449 times)

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Dupli color
« on: May 29, 2009, 10:57:40 AM »
Never used dupli color before, primed with grey, sprayed on red some areas are semi gloss and some areas are matte. Any idea whats going on? After first coat I sanded with 400 and sprayed a second coat thinking I didn' t have enough coverage. But got same result. This is from spray can not a gun. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks John
AMA 874027

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Dupli color
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 12:54:19 PM »
Are you sure that the can was totally shaken, and then shaken some more? was it the same areas that were matte?
it could be the solvents soaking into areas of higher primer density allowing some die back in the gloss. It could also be that the primer in those areas was not actually sanded enough and the texture from the primer is showing through, or that there was not enough primer/ base clear to fill the weave of the cloth. Are they random spots,, how big of an area? is it only over open bays, over solid wood?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 07:14:53 PM »
Here are a few pics showing problem Thanks John
AMA 874027

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 08:18:31 PM »
From what I can tell, it appears that you are not getting enough material on the surface to flow out. In other words it is drying before it can smooth the surface. If i see correctly, it is shiny between the wing and tail on the fuselage? that would be where you are overlapping your pattern and it gets enough material to flow out and gloss.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 08:17:55 AM »

I have used this paint and it is fairly user friendly.. Mark is right... you are "dusting" the surface .. what I would do is clear coat it after the color is applied.. two real light coats and one wet one.. let it dry over night.. use 600 w/d or even 1000, WET (I soak my paper in a bucket of water and a little dish soap over night)... and buff out. This paint buffs nicely. I have used the big quart cans and it went over the spray can stuff.. if you get gasoline on it .. it will ruin the finish.. some guys report that model fuel doesn't hurt it..  when you are all done use a paste wax to keep it protected.

When I use spray cans I shake them until I am tired and do it some more.. I heat them in the hottest water in my sink.. this helps the flow and mix... Lustercote clear should go over this stuff with no problems too if you want to go in that direction..  this stuffs dries really quick and that may be your problem. I used an airbrush for all colors and a touch up gun for my final.. if you want to try an experiment.. sand a small area and buff it out.. you will have to sand that area again to re-spray.

Follow the directions on the can .. I have used the Black, Red, Gold spray, and clear.. clean with acetone. Use automotive surface/prep cleaner to clean after sanding.. alcohol melts this stuff..

Jim

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 11:11:26 AM »
Just one more thing, when paint first goes on ,it has good coverageand gloss. After it starts to dry it gets funny . Dont know if that makes a difference in replies Thanks John
AMA 874027

Offline Rod Lamer

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 09:45:02 PM »
If you were to make multiple color patterns on a plane with Duplicolor, their clearcoat is awesome stuff, just put your last coat on kinda wet. It holds up well, in the uses I tried before.
AMA 906421

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 01:45:16 PM »
Just one more thing, when paint first goes on ,it has good coverageand gloss. After it starts to dry it gets funny . Dont know if that makes a difference in replies Thanks John

Everyone seems to have missed or abandoned this post!  That *looks* like a simple case of blushing.  It comes from humidity and all lacquers do it when the humidity is even close to being high..  Duplicolor is a type of lacquer.   It will come out with a clear top coat, or rub it out like a dope finish.  Of course th eclear ill blush too if th ehumidity is high enough.  Over 50% can be too high at times.  I have used GALLONS, by now, of Duplicolor and it is not uncommon.

Plus, some of the Duplicolor colors MUST be clear coated.  There is some type of initial on the label where the color name is that IDs them.  I always clear coat everything, anyway.

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 03:13:34 PM »
Glad to see your hand in Bear.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 08:13:07 PM »
Everyone seems to have missed or abandoned this post!  That *looks* like a simple case of blushing.  It comes from humidity and all lacquers do it when the humidity is even close to being high..  Duplicolor is a type of lacquer.   It will come out with a clear top coat, or rub it out like a dope finish.  Of course th eclear ill blush too if th ehumidity is high enough.  Over 50% can be too high at times.  I have used GALLONS, by now, of Duplicolor and it is not uncommon.

Plus, some of the Duplicolor colors MUST be clear coated.  There is some type of initial on the label where the color name is that IDs them.  I always clear coat everything, anyway.

Mongo

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Give that man a Ceegar!!!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 07:13:11 AM »
. . . or rub it out like a dope finish.  Of course th eclear ill blush too if th ehumidity is high enough.  Over 50% can be too high at times. 
 . . .

Mongo

What is good to use, specifically for rubbing out blushing on either dope, or even LustreKote clear?

Larry Fulwider

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 11:57:59 AM »
What is good to use, specifically for rubbing out blushing on either dope, or even LustreKote clear?

Sandpaper.. the old way.. read on... there might be an "easier softer way" to do this..

The dreaded blushing is caused by moisture being trapped under the coat of paint or clear.. what I do is think back to when it first appeared and lightly sand, clean the surface with rubbing alcohol if you are cheap like me or Prepsol.. plain water will clean the surface too if you just want to wipe off the sanding..

Rules for painting... this is here in the Northwest... paint when temps are 70-88... I paint outdoors. No painting in direct sunlight... a little is OK... indoors warm the room up to 68-72... gas heat has moisture in it.. so I keep a window open

Locally I can get hourly humidity reports. When it drops to 50-70 and the air temps are around say 72-80.. and this happens from about 12am to 4 pm... that is my window of painting... indoors I have more flexibility. especially after the house warms up from the outside temperature..  

One of the reasons I have had blushing is trying to put too much paint on too soon... so at best when using dope... only 2 coats a day MAX... one early and one late at the temp/humidity range.. the other reason is failing to let the surface temp of your model "acclimatize".. in other words the air is warm and the surface is cold.. also putting the coats on too heavy with a spray gun .. it will be "cool" and the surface may be hot... using retarder helps with this problem.. I also use a little plasticizer, a Dave Brown product.  

here are some links ...

Here is a great link for general ideas even though it is a motorcycle the basic ideas apply to any lacquer based paints.. http://www.chuckhawks.com/harley_paintin.htm

Acu-Rite Digital Humidity Monitor ... http://www.natlallergy.com/product.asp?pn=1526&bhcd2=1247593867
I bet there are others on the market..

"The ideal temperature for spraying is about 70°F. Special thinners and reducers can speed up or retard drying time; use slower thinners in hotter temperatures, faster thinners in colder temperatures. Humidity is also a factor, especially with lacquer. High humidity (moisture) in the air supply can be trapped in rapidly drying paint, causing a "blushing" surface that appears chalky or dull. Spray in the lowest possible humidity."
http://www.scottgrundfor.com/ideas/paint3.html

Here's another product that appears to have promise.. though I haven't tried it.. if this stuff works as advertised it is a God Send for sure.. here is one guys thoughts after using it.. "This stuff is magic in a can. It removes the blush immediately. You just fog it on and blush is gone. Also used to help blend in repair areas. Make sure you allow enough time for the surface to dry. It will remain wet longer than an application of clear."

This is mainly a wood worker product but I suspect it may be something others might have tried.. I doubt it will work on Lustercote..
Blush Eraser, http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17653&cookietest=1

Jim

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here