News:

• May 23, 2024, 08:20:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: dupli color paints  (Read 3482 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
dupli color paints
« on: July 12, 2016, 08:34:23 AM »

Don't know if this has been posted, but who has used this product in spray lacquer, and did you like it??

I am thinking about using some of it in stock auto color, in particular Chrysler cool vanilla, so if any one has suggestions pleas let them fly...

Thanks...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
Re: dupli color paints
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 10:49:49 AM »
 There is a lot of info posted on these paints, but if your "search" is as difficult as mine, it may take a while to find your answer. I use Dupli-Color from start to finish, but the final clear has to be another product. Dupli-Color lacquer is not fuel proof. I seal the balsa by any of the many options available, then use Dupli-Color High Build primer. Very good product. Depending on my base color I may or may not shoot a light coat of their white primer over the gray. Then color and final clear. I use 3 part auto clear, but may change to something else for my next project.
 The lacquer is easy to use and easy to repair. It can be wet sanded and touched up fairly easily. I've had no problem with lifting if I use low heat to remove the tape. Spray cans have excellent tips and spray patterns, but not a lot of paint. I use the pre-mixed pint (quart?) cans. Shoots very well right out of the can. The attached Nobler was 100% Dupli-Color with auto clear. I had to tear into the aft fuselage to repair the tail wheel bulkhead. Easy to re-paint.

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 12:39:03 PM »
I use Duplicolor Paint Shop color paint that comes in quart cans all the time and really like it. Compatible with Sig dope products.  Depending on the spray gun, it can be used right out of the can.  I thin with Sig thinner for my airbrush.  I also use either Duplicolor High Build Primer or Napa DC540 primer that Sparky uses (also made by Duplicolor).  Never had a problem with colors lifting.  Clear with either Sig Lite clear or auto clear.   Both these were done with Duplicolor.  Clear not yet on in photos.
Jim Vigani

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 05:11:48 PM »
I was hesitant to post here because of the size restrictions but here goes. This is my latest custom bike which I designed and painted. It is all Duplicolor from the local Oreilly's.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 09:39:30 AM »
Hi Brother Gil,

Sorry to be late to the party, but I will add my 2 cents worth adjusted to inflation!  I have used Duplicolor and other auto lacquers for years, even decades!  Onr thing to make sure of...... Duplicolor also makes spray enamels!!!  Make sure the can does not say enamel anywhere!!!

On my Tomahawk I used their gold for a vase and their "Metal Cast" Red (translucent) for a candy apple look!  Even the tank which has held up very well.  Sig Lite Coat, Randolph's Low shrink, or auto polyurethane for clear.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 08:08:25 AM »

Bill, did I unnerstan that you used dope over their enamel?  And no lifting?  I am shooting their enamel right now and have used Dupli color wheel clear over it with out problems.

Please keep me updated on their product..          Thanks to everyone that responded
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Jim Roselle

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 11:05:10 PM »
Bill, did I unnerstan that you used dope over their enamel?  And no lifting?  I am shooting their enamel right now and have used Dupli color wheel clear over it with out problems.

Please keep me updated on their product..          Thanks to everyone that responded

I use the enamel from the rattle can. Fuel proof to at least 15% but it drys brittle and cracks on open bays. On sheeted surfaces it's great.

Jim

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 11:35:17 PM »
I love the DC acrylic lacquer. It's not fuel proof like Jim said above about the acrylic enamel, but it's said to be lighter. And it plays perfectly well with butyrate clear. And a great advantage is that fuelproof Lustrekote clear is also fine, either right on top of the DC color or on top of the butyrate. Even without having to dust it on like you do with enamel. So I sprayed Lkote on the whole nose, forward of the wing where fuel mostly gets, and that was even after I had given it a few coats of butyrate, so that's really fuelproof. The DC added very little weight and dries hard as a rock as soon as it hits the plane. It's very close to dope, but without the blushing risk as far as I can tell I was lucky, we had 100+ degrees with 30-40% humidity for the two weeks I was painting. On my test board, the plain DC took the Lkote in a rudely thick pass with no reaction. It does melt it, but it hardens back in 10 minutes without any distortion. Mistakes sand back off easily in the same day. I'm sold on it. I used the NAPA DC540 primer which is also made by DC, but I thinmk their Duplicolor labeled gray primer is probably fine too. It's just that the DC540 fills so well and sands so easily, I like it a lot too.

Take a look at my Twister thread to see my first try with DC paints:
http://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/yet-another-twister-my-builtrightflyright-version-of-the-f-twister/

If I build any 1/2A planes I think I'll try the Enamel. Also the nozzles are adjustable and shoot a knife edge triangle fro, 8-10 inches which can be rotated to help hold the can at a convenient angle. very little overspray compared to other rattlecans. I think it's all available in cans too.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 06:54:21 AM »
Hi Brother Gil!

No, I never meant to say I used the enamel.......  I started using the lacquer because of availability.  It was common practice in earlier days to use automotive lacquer for colors and Windy did several tapes using it.  His 20 pointer was auto lacquer top coated with Sig Lite Coat.

I can go literally 3/4 of a mile and get it, while it takes a 1 hr. ride and hope they have the dope I want or mail order.

Later!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here