News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:55:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: drying time before masking?  (Read 716 times)

Online Alan Buck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
drying time before masking?
« on: March 01, 2011, 11:09:39 AM »
How long should you wait before you start masking a plane painted with dope? will be using 3m blue and green tape for masking. plane will have 4 colors on it.  Thanks
ALAN E BUCK

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: drying time before masking?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 07:24:03 PM »
 It can depend on a lot of things from prep to temp, to how heavy is the base coat and how was it mixed, to who knows, pure luck even.

I usually wait at least 24 hours, usually 48. Longer is even better, patience can be key.

(Watch out with the 3M green, I don't know what you have but the bright green 3M that I have I would never use for paint work, way too sticky.)
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 01:29:52 AM »
Hi Alan,

For dope, I like to wait until I can't "smell" it.  After the base coat has quit "smelling", the trim colors are not quite as critical, it seems, unless you are going to be taping directly back over them.  I agree with Wayne, the "really green" tape (3/4"-1") from 3M has pulled up more paint that any other type I have used.  For that I like the orange spool "Blue tape".  It isn't wrinkled like regular "masking tape" and is low tack.  Has a "slick" texture.

The transparent green 1/8th" tape, or the blue vinyl 1/8th" tape (more flexible) is my preference for thin lines.  I have used some special tape made by a "pin striping" company that is the bomb!  I think it is from "Finesse it" or something like that.  Gotta get some more!

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 05:37:04 PM »
I use 3M blue painter's tape (low tack) and both 3M vinyl tape and Finesse Pinstripping's Edge tape for doing the edges. I usually wait about 24 hours before doing the next trim color.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 06:21:29 PM »
Im starting to dislike you Randy  ;D

I use 3M blue painter's tape (low tack) and both 3M vinyl tape and Finesse Pinstripping's Edge tape for doing the edges. I usually wait about 24 hours before doing the next trim color.

Now for MY answer..

I use 3M blue painter's tape (low tack) and both 3M vinyl tape and special 1mm cut tape for doing the edges. I usually wait about 24 hours before doing the next trim color. - Maybe 26 hrs ! HAHA Patience IS the key - you can touch it, colour sand it, but you may not be able to apply tape without it pull off...

Ive been impatient before - not thesedays..
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here