News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:43:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dry time for nitrate before applying urethane enamel  (Read 585 times)

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
Dry time for nitrate before applying urethane enamel
« on: February 06, 2011, 07:56:11 PM »
I'm ready to spray the fuse on my Barnstormer with Chevron White as a base , followed by Chevron Orange. The fuse received 3 coats  of Sig Nitrate, sanded, another coat of Nitrate, sanded , followed by  a complete silkspan application then  a coat of Nitrate, sanded, and two more coats of nitrate. It was sanded and appears ready for final Chevron color.

All of the Nitrate was applied during a  4 day period and the plane has been drying at a temp(65 degrees on average) for 4 days.

Question : Is it too soon ? More time needed for gassing off ?

Thanks

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Dry time for nitrate before applying urethane enamel
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 08:52:29 PM »
The obvious answer is to wait as long as possible. At a minimum I'd wait a week.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

John Leidle

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 09:19:47 AM »
   I am told that if you shoot urethane too soon the thinners are trapped under the urethane & the thinners will try to escape in the July heat while sitting in the sun. Making air bubbles.  I wait untill I can't smell the dope on the plane then wait another week. Keeping th plane warm.
   John

Offline Joe Rice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 10:09:09 AM »
Maye a bit late with this reply, but may I suggest you use an automotive primer before applying urethane topcoats.  This will make the top coats uniform, improve adhesion, color hold out and actually require less top coat material.  You will also find that your sanded nitrate base does not look as good as it feels, revealing numerous surface irregularities.  The idea is to block sand the initial primer application to barely reveal the clear nitrate base.  The next coat should be sanded back only to reveal a constant, smooth gray surface with no sand through spots to the nitrate base. I like Duplicolor Fill'n Sand for this process, though others will work as well.  You do not need a urethane primer as lacquer base will do.   Good luck...

Joe
Joe Rice
AMA 740106

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here