News:

• April 27, 2024, 11:24:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: dry spots in silkspan  (Read 694 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
dry spots in silkspan
« on: August 21, 2023, 06:53:32 PM »
Just finished applying the silver to my recover El Diablo and found some dry spots in the covering. This is old time and not looking for front row. The silver is for UV protection and block coat. These dry spots are in a few spots but not over large areas. So, question is do I apply more silver or just go over it with clear until its filled?

Best,    DennisT

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: dry spots in silkspan
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2023, 09:29:49 PM »
Go with clear with perhaps a touch of color added (a few drops of black to make gray) so you can tell where you've painted and/or sanded. It'll get the job done and be lighter than the silver (clear dope with aluminum powder mixed in = heavy!)

Thin the clear to at least 50/50 (60/40 would be better) and spray thin coats where needed. Once sanded and level, carry on with the rest of your finish.

Steve

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: dry spots in silkspan
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2023, 09:20:12 AM »
Dry spots are a few areas that are not full of dope and can still see some silkspan grain no adhesion issue or fisheye. I think I'll go with the clear an put a couple drops of silver in. Seems I needed maybe two more coats of clear to get it all filled smoothly. It had a sheen, but I didn't see the few areas where it was a little dry.

Best,   DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here