News:

• April 27, 2024, 04:16:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Doping 4-6 Lb balsa  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Doping 4-6 Lb balsa
« on: July 06, 2023, 08:32:21 AM »
I use Sig Nitrate thinned 50/50 for the first coats for good adhesion then added some filler for 2 coats but after that it seems like it takes allot of dope before it stops soaking in. What's the point of using soft wood if you just have to load it with paint. Is there a way to avoid this? I doped on some .2oz carbon tissue no sizing but all the coats after that seemed to soak right through. So many coats but it never covered the carbon to the point I felt I could sand it level. This light weight wood is like a sponge, what's the solution?

Thanks,
MM

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Doping 4-6 Lb balsa
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 10:54:17 AM »
My self I would cover with clear mylar from Corehouse or the bay.  Then put the silk span on.  Saves a lot of dope and makes it almost bullet proof. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 02:11:50 PM »
Have you covered light wood with anything else?  My experience with that stuff leads me to believe that it's the CF veil itself that's soaking up gallons of dope, not the wood underneath.

I'm not sure how you're doing it, but in my very limited experience I get a few coats of dope on the bare wood first, just like I'm going to apply silkspan.  Then I put on the veil.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 05:01:00 PM »
You may be applying the dope too thin..  60/40 or 70/30, dope to thinner.  That tends to stay on the surface and not dissolve the under coats, which may be happening.  H^^ Let each coat dry, then sand smooth and apply the next coat.. Yes it take work to do it right... D>K

By the third coat of dope you may want to apply silk span or Japanese tissue, then apply dope over that, which should take only two or three light coats.
Ty Marcucci

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here