News:

• May 13, 2024, 04:57:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rubber Band Goo on New Dope  (Read 949 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Rubber Band Goo on New Dope
« on: September 17, 2011, 05:31:53 PM »
I'm building a Beginner Ringmaster for the Fly-a-Thon, and to drum up interest I took it to my RC club meeting today for show and tell.

In the bed of the truck at the same time were some gooey broken rubber bands, that had been holding the tank on a profile plane.  They got stuck to the underside of the Beginner Ringmaster wing, which has had one coat of clear dope put on it, nothing more.

So my question is:  Is there anything I can use to remove the yellow melted rubber band goo from the wing?  Should I just rub it down with isopropyl alcohol to remove as much oil as possible, paint over it, and live with the spots?  Or is there something else I can do that might be effective.  I'm actually not too concerned about the spots -- but I really don't want to end up raising humongous blisters in the finished paint.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

larry borden

Re: Rubber Band Goo on New Dope
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 06:30:31 PM »
Try Goo Off or what ever the stuff is called that removes stuff like that and then hit it with alchol to clean the cleaner off. I have had to use it in the past to get rid of tape residue.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 11:45:51 AM »
Goop off or other bug remover stuff. Easier, naphtha.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 04:01:30 PM »
What Randy said about naphtha.  The best for any goo.  I even use it on RAW WOOD before starting a finish of nitro-cellulose lacquer.  It totally evaporates and is almost magic.. won't hurt dope, which is a form of the lacquer I use on instruments.  I just buy lighter fluid, that's what it is.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 04:48:24 PM »
I ended up using CA solvent, which worked.  That's because I'm too lazy to run out and get lighter fluid -- but I'm going to get some, and keep it in my paint cabinet.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 06:53:54 PM »
Aha!  Another gem of knowledge to stow away for when nothing else is available!  Thanks, Tim.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 07:34:16 PM »
Aha!  Another gem of knowledge to stow away for when nothing else is available!  Thanks, Tim.
!!!!
I should mention -- it seemed to soften up the dope a bit.  That was fine for the stage of construction that I'm at, but it could be a disaster if it were on a finished plane.
AMA 64232

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 11:12:26 AM »
I went down to the local Home Depot and bought a bunch of solvent based stuff awhile back in quart cans. MEK, Naphtha, VMP, cheap lacquer thinner, acetone, mineral spirits, etc. Something usually works for whatever sort of cleaning I have to do.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 10:40:54 AM »
I ended up using CA solvent, which worked.  That's because I'm too lazy to run out and get lighter fluid -- but I'm going to get some, and keep it in my paint cabinet.

I've been told many time CA solvent is nothing more than Nitro like we use in our fuels.  Local hobby dealer used to bottle it up for the GSA in KCMO.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Tomlin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 10:04:35 AM »
Most CA solvents are just acetone (fingernail polish remover), hence the softening of the dope.  I don't buy the expensive hobby solvent anymore, just a quart of acetone.

John

Offline David M Johnson

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 12:10:50 PM »
I just used acetone to thin out Balsarite cloth formula prior to attaching Koverall worked like a charm.
David Johnson
We're havin some fun now!!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 01:01:53 PM »
Most CA solvents are just acetone (fingernail polish remover), hence the softening of the dope.  I don't buy the expensive hobby solvent anymore, just a quart of acetone.
The stuff I have is higher viscosity and doesn't smell much at all -- it certainly doesn't smell like acetone.
AMA 64232

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 07:14:17 PM »
First, I'd try a cream hand cleaner. Next, I'd try lighter fluid or naptha. Then, Coleman fuel and a match...  LL~
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline ash

• Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 05:30:31 AM »
Regarding the softening of the dope - rubber and dope are not friends. In the guitar world where instruments are traditionally finished in nitrocellulose lacuqer (nitrate dope) it is reasonably well known that you don't put a nitro-finished guitar on a stand or hanger with rubber pads on it, whether they are latex based or PVC based. It doesn't take long for the rubber to start degrading the nitrocellulose and the damage is irreversible.
Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here