News:

• April 30, 2024, 10:08:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: dope before glue ?  (Read 1371 times)

Offline adam collver

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
dope before glue ?
« on: January 25, 2014, 07:29:16 AM »
Can I dope and finish my profile fuse and then glue the wing in?  Will the wing still glue in even when dope has already soaked into the wood?

Thanks
Adam

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
Re: dope before glue ?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 08:20:22 AM »
Put a strip of tape around the wing where it will glue to the fuselage.  I generally put one thin coat of dope on before I put the tape on, just to stick the silk down.  Dope the wing all you want, take the tape off and glue it in. i generally make pinholes in the sheeting where it will glue.

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 09:22:42 PM »
I generally put on enough dope to seal the covering down - more than a coat. The the tape's a good idea. However, using epoxy, I have not found the amount of dope to be critical, as long as the contact area is rough (porous is better). The only plane I've dismantled so far to save a wing was plenty well attached and took some hefty work to get rid of the fuselage pices around the wing's root. I usually brush on the dope, before attaching the wing; so I don't really have a problem applying less dope to the central strip.

SK

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 11:49:52 PM »
I'll add, as on another thread, that I don't think you'll have a problem with even more dope in the center. The strength of continuous or overlapped silkspan or silk across the center is important in preventing stress risers that have too often caused wings to fold. I have crashed my profiles too often, but have never had a break in the wing-fuselage joint with a pre-silkspanned/doped wing being epoxied to a profile fuselage.

SK

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 03:08:23 PM »
Hi Adam,

You didn't say how you intend to finish your wing. I paint my profile fuses. first and then glue the wing in but I mostly use monocote on the wings. As the other guys said tape the middle of the wing if it is going to be doped, if you are covering with plastic, tape the inside of the fuse opening to prevent over spray or slop over of your paint. It is sort of like doing a pre-covered A.R.F. i think.

Good luck,

Rich

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 12:56:24 PM »
What glue you using?  Testors and Ambroid won't care.  Dope is a very similar compound.

Phil

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here