News:

• May 01, 2024, 09:58:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dope and K&B Ultracoat Epoxy Paint  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Dope and K&B Ultracoat Epoxy Paint
« on: May 21, 2010, 11:36:48 AM »
Hi guys,

Has anyone tried to paint dope over epoxy paint??? If so, how did it work out??? The problem I'm having is that I used K&B Ultracoat Epoxy Paint for the base and now I want to do trim painting. I don't have clear epoxy paint so I'm getting bleed under the tape. I tried dusting light coats on but that didn't seem to work out as well as I wanted. I would appreciate any suggestion, at this point I'm ready to show the plane the trash can and probably would be the best way to handle her. Shes to ugly for me to play with, the epoxy paint shines with a real nice gloss but all I can see is the bleed through on the tape lines. Yes I know sand, sand, sand and start over. Hello!!!! TRASH CAN, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Dope and K&B Ultracoat Epoxy Paint
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 08:02:13 PM »
Has anyone tried to paint dope over epoxy paint??? If so, how did it work out??? The problem I'm having is that I used K&B Ultracoat Epoxy Paint for the base and now I want to do trim painting. I don't have clear epoxy paint so I'm getting bleed under the tape. I tried dusting light coats on but that didn't seem to work out as well as I wanted. I would appreciate any suggestion, at this point I'm ready to show the plane the trash can and probably would be the best way to handle her. Shes to ugly for me to play with, the epoxy paint shines with a real nice gloss but all I can see is the bleed through on the tape lines. Yes I know sand, sand, sand and start over. Hello!!!! TRASH CAN, Gary

Don't use paper tape, use regular plastic trim masking tape. I don't think it's a great idea to use dope over it, and certainly not to seal the tape edges - I would expect it to pull the dope away from the base color, and take the trim color with it.

Brett

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 09:26:36 PM »
AAAhhhhh,

I don't think that Dope will chemically bond to Epoxy.  Just get some kind of Epoxy in the colors you need.  It will come closer to bonding than Dope or even Enamel will!

Jim Pollock   mw~

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 11:01:26 PM »
Hi guys,

Has anyone tried to paint dope over epoxy paint??? If so, how did it work out??? 

Don't do it. I made that same mistake once trying to repair a plane that had K&B paint on it. The Sig dope ate right through in seconds. Made the whole thing lool like it was coated in cottage cheese.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 12:12:45 AM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies, I've had better luck using shelving material for masking than using the tape. You're correct don't use the paper masking tape. Thanks Brett, you're correct about the vinyl tape. I've been trying to use the green painters tape and it doesn't seem to work as well as the vinyl tape.

Another question, have any of you had better luck removing the mask before the paint dries or after the paint dries. With epoxy paint I've always removed the tape before it dries and haven't ever tried removing after the paint has dried. Just curious, thank you for all your help, Gary

Gary Anderson

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 11:19:24 AM »
I don't have a LOT of experience with the epoxy paints, but I do paint a lot with Urethane's which are in the same general characteristics. If you can unmask before the paint starts to get stringy then I generally do that. If you wait say overnight,, the paint film gets so strong that it doesn't want to shear cleanly sometimes. It is far SAFER to pull masking off when the paint isnt wet, so you don't drag wet paint across the rest of the surface on accident, or get paint on your hands then touch something,, All that being said, I generally try to mask things so that I can pull the edge tape away from the fresh paint, leaving the paper on the surface to pull up later after its dry.
Hmm that may not make sense. try this when I mask up for a color, I use vinyl mask tape, 1/8 or 1/4 generally. Layout my design. Then I will mask the rest of the area with tape and paper leaving the paper about a 1/4 away from the vinyl tape. then lay another strip of vinyl masking tape to close-off between the paper masking and the outline separation masking. That way when you unmask, you can pull up the 1/4" and the actual edge masking leaving the paper in place to protect the rest of the plane from accidental drags and touches.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 01:23:10 PM »
Hi Mark,

Thank you for your input, with epoxy paint seems like its best to remove the trim tape as quickly as possible. You're correct the epoxy paint seems to start setting immediately and even if you wait for a few minutes the paint starts making a film of paint and it will pull like bubble gum and make a mess. Your method sounds like the best way to go. I do it a little different but very close to yours. I like to remove the paper first, with the epoxy there isn't runny paint problems. With most paints I use I have a clear that I can paint over the mask before I shoot the color. Being as I don't have any clear I tried to use dust coats so I wouldn't get runs under the tape. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. Brett is correct, using the vinyl tape you have a better chance of ending up with a good paint job. I haven't used epoxy paint in sometime and forgot all the fun it can be. I believe using dope is more forgiving than epoxy. I believe dope attaches to the base paint better than epoxy. Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time but I like using both products. I'm just not very good at it, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 10:18:37 PM »
I believe dope attaches to the base paint better than epoxy.

Oh, I don't think so, not as long as you use all epoxy products underneath. On coat of dope generally slightly melts the one below it so they stick pretty good most of the time. But I have heard *far* more problems pulling dope off than epoxy. Particularly if you use silver dope at some point, it has the adhesion of teflon.

It's epoxy, after all, and it sticks like, epoxy.

Brett

Eric Viglione

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 08:47:17 PM »
My personal experience with Brodak jet black dope over KlassKote was the dope stuck about like latex to glass. It was fair over large area's, but any fine lines or small fonts, and it wasn't pretty. I bought some KlassKote Black, and problem solved. 

Even KlassKote tells you that if you don't put your trim colors on within 48hrs, you are not going to get a chemical cross linked bond, and will have to rely on a mechanical bond and may want to scuff the surface before appying trim.

I haven't found this to be a problem for our use. Don't forget, KlassKote sells the stuff as an industrial product, and may be expecting it to stand up to fork lifts driving over the yellow lines on the floor kinda thing.

Hope that helps,
EricV

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 09:07:39 PM »
My personal experience with Brodak jet black dope over KlassKote was the dope stuck about like latex to glass. It was fair over large area's, but any fine lines or small fonts, and it wasn't pretty.

Exactly, the dope just sort of lays there until you get a point load, then it peels right up.

Brett

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 12:22:55 AM »
    Oh, I don't think so, not as long as you use all epoxy products underneath. On coat of dope generally slightly melts the one below it so they stick pretty good most of the time. But I have heard *far* more problems pulling dope off than epoxy. Particularly if you use silver dope at some point, it has the adhesion of teflon.

It's epoxy, after all, and it sticks like, epoxy.

Brett
Hi Brett,

I know you're correct, it just looks like the dope is penetrating more than the epoxy. When I apply dope it looks like its penetrating through all the coats of dope, maybe not, but looks like it is. When I sprayed the epoxy trim color over the base color epoxy paint, it looked like it was just sitting on top of the epoxy. I wasn't happy with the job I did on spraying this coat, so I sanded it off and it was stuck very well to the base coat. I guess when the epoxy cures its melts into the base. When I get through making a mess of her I'll post some pictures for ya to laugh at, Gary Thank you for your input.
Gary Anderson

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 01:11:32 AM »
Hi Brett,

I know you're correct, it just looks like the dope is penetrating more than the epoxy. When I apply dope it looks like its penetrating through all the coats of dope, maybe not, but looks like it is. When I sprayed the epoxy trim color over the base color epoxy paint, it looked like it was just sitting on top of the epoxy. I wasn't happy with the job I did on spraying this coat, so I sanded it off and it was stuck very well to the base coat. I guess when the epoxy cures its melts into the base.

I think we are miscommunicating - epoxy does just sit on the top of the underlying coat. But it's literally glued to it with, well, epoxy. Dope *does* slightly dissolve the underlying dope and that's how it bonds But dope over epoxy doesn't do that, so it just peels up. Same to a lesser extent with epoxy over dope - it works better and it sticks to nitrate pretty well, but it doesn't stick to butyrate very well.

There's just not much problem that I have found putting epoxy over epoxy, it works great.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here