News:

• April 27, 2024, 11:13:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Doctor paper.  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Doctor paper.
« on: October 30, 2023, 06:04:18 AM »
I have used the thin paper to cover 2 wings and it was a chore. It worked but it tested my patience but ended up quite brittle. I'm working on rebuilding my Jamison after a crash. I used Brodak medium silk span on the wing. In the open bays the silk span works well but on the sheeted leading and trailing edge and center section the wire side pokes through causing a lot of sanding and filling that doesn't help when the color is applied. As a test I used a piece of Dr. paper, wet, on a piece of wood. Doped it down like it was fiberglass and it worked very well. Feeling brave I used the thin paper to cover the stab, elev, vert. fin and fuselage. All came out perfectly smooth after 2 coats of dope. That left the wings sheeted areas. Moments ago I applied a 3.5 inch wide strip to the top left wing leading edge. so far it's staying  put and no wrinkles. I did it to smooth the rough silk span on the sheeted areas. And no I didn't put the silk span on wrong side up. Again.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
Re: Doctor paper.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2023, 02:22:53 PM »
The doctor paper over the silk span made a slight difference. Not enough to justify the work. Maybe not putting the silk span on sheeted areas and using the doctor paper would do the trick.  I am doing a test now on the silk span using a strip that I sanded the rough side with 2500 grit paper to remove some or most of the wire side bumps. I only sanded half the test strip and the second coat of clear is drying now. I'll give it the same treatment as the wing gets and we will see if that helps any.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2023, 08:48:21 PM »
If you search the finish secrion you will see I put DOC paper on dry and the cover it with Mylar clear.  Looks like clear coated silspan.  Or cover it with Mono Kote.  It will shrink some before the mylar or Mono Mote.  kes for a very tough finish. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2023, 02:37:10 PM »
Huh. Never heard the term wire side before.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here