News:

• April 28, 2024, 07:58:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: do you spray clear over trim...  (Read 714 times)

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
do you spray clear over trim...
« on: January 14, 2011, 07:34:11 PM »
Does it make sence to spray clear over adhesive trim stripping to keep it from lifting
AMA 874027

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: do you spray clear over trim...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 09:07:02 PM »
 Yes, definitely. Or maybe I should say maybe. ;D

Done properly, putting clear over trim and graphics will definitely help things last longer. I do this on practically all of my models. Depending on what products you are using though you must be very careful not to ruin the vinyl or whatever trim you're using. For instance, if you go too heavy right off the bat with the clear, the thinner can and will easily attack and wrinkle the vinyl. This will really ruin your day. You can get away with it though by fogging on several light, dry coats, and letting each of them dry as you build up to finally going with a couple of heavy coats at the end.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 10:22:47 PM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 08:01:54 AM »
2 Mist coat passes Should do the trick.

Then layer on your heavy. - He's 100% Spot on too heavy 1st up and your STUFFED!
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 12:41:54 PM »
Depends on materials. If you are talking Monokote and Trim Coat then you may or may not get adhesion. I had some success with shooting catalyzed polyurethane over iron on plastic coverings, but I've also had it peel off. Better luck if the covering is something like textured like Coverlite.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 08:36:19 PM »
I have had no trouble brushing clear dope over decals and vinyl lettering. I do coat my ink jet decals with dope for a fixitive before applying them to the plane, and then just brush the clear over everything. I have never used auto clear, so I don't know how that would work.
Jim Kraft

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here