News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:02:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BUTYRATE AND NITRATE DOPE and also paint.  (Read 10082 times)

Offline Ken Neubauer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BUTYRATE AND NITRATE DOPE and also paint.
« on: September 25, 2009, 07:47:22 PM »
Hi Guys--I guess this topic is as old as the hills as I am-70. I need the difference beteen these dopes. Which one is the non shrinking and what brands make them. What rattle can paints are fuel proof?? Thanks for the help for an old 50's flyer.  Ken

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BUTYRATE AND NITRATE DOPE and also paint.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 05:47:40 AM »
  Ken, welcome back, always good to see "re-treads", as to the dope both can be gotten in a "low" shrink formula.
 I usually buy mine from an airport in the Fort Worth area, Tex air parts 800 458 1535 Marcos is the salesman that I usually talk to, if you buy in 1 Qt containers there isn't a Haz Mat fee.
  Don Hutchinson told me about these folks, and they have other things that we modelers can use.
  Hope that this helps.....
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 10:12:59 AM »
Hi Guys--I guess this topic is as old as the hills as I am-70. I need the difference beteen these dopes. Which one is the non shrinking and what brands make them. What rattle can paints are fuel proof?? Thanks for the help for an old 50's flyer.  Ken

Hi Ken,

Both nitrate and butyrate dopes are available in tautening and non-tautening types.  "Tautening" dopes shrink about 12%-15% linearly, "non-tautening" dopes shrink about 5%-6%.  Nitrate shrinks slightly more than butyrate but the dried film has a lower tensile strength than does butyrate.  Nitrate is not readily available in colors anymore and hasn't been since the early fifties.  Nitrate dope (both the liquid form and the dried film) ignites easily and burns almost explosively; butyrate dopes were developed to provide a finish that burns much more slowly than does nitrate (an important consideration if you are flying along in your Taylorcraft at 5,000 agl and develop an in-flight fire). 

Although many modelers use nitrate clear for the first coats on the airframe and to attach the covering (silkspan or silk), I see no reason to do so except for personal preference.  I always use butyrate dope as it is much more fuel-resistant than nitrate and gives just as good results.  I use the tautening type butyrate for the first coats on the wood, to attach the covering, and for the first three brush coats on the open bay areas to tauten the covering.  After that I switch to non-tautening butyrate for the remainder of the finish.

Also, I always use the appropriate dope thinner rather than trying to substitute lacquer thinners for it.  While you can get away with using lacquer thinners (as long as it is not the new VOC compliant type) in dope, you really get the best results using dope thinner.  Dope thinner contains different drying agents and other solvents that contribute to the slower drying and film-forming qualities that enables you to get a good finish with dope.  Butyrate thinner can be used with no problem in nitrate dopes, but nitrate thinner cannot be used in butyrate dope.

Brands available for dopes include Brodak and Sig in the purely model airplane world, and Certified and Randolph brands in the full-scale airplane world.  Personally I use Randolph dopes for the basecoats of clear and most colors, and for the top coats of clear I use Sig Light-coat clear as it is more fuel-resistant than any of the other brands.

Randolph and Certified are available at many full-scale airplane supply houses such as Aircraft Spruce and Specialty.  Randolph has a huge selection of colors and is a high-quality product.  Certified is also good quality but has a limited range of colors.  Randolph is much less expensive than the dopes provided for the model airplane industry.  For example, a gallon of Randolph butyrate thinner is listed in the Aircraft Spruce catalog at $25.40, and a quart of Randolph butyrate non-tautening clear is $14.50.  The Randolph dopes require quite a bit of thinning and go a long way.  I have great results with Randolph products (and am not sponsored by them, just FYI), they are consistently high quality and have great coverage.

There are no truly fuel-proof rattle can paints, despite manufacturer's claims to the contrary.  To have a truly fuel-proof paint you have to go to a two-part paint such as an automotive polyurethane or an epoxy such as Klass-Kote (Brett Buck is very knowledgeable about Klass-Kote) that use cross-linking of long-chain polymers to give a highly chemical resistant finish.  Two-part means the polyurethane paint plus its isocyanate ester catalyst, and the mix is usually thinned with the appropriate thinner.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 01:01:39 AM »
Hi Bill,

I have always loved Randolph's dope, but I can no longer by it at the local airport........  :'(

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 11:35:22 AM »
Hi Bill,

I have always loved Randolph's dope, but I can no longer by it at the local airport........  :'(

Bill

You can order it from Aircraft Spruce & Specialty Company; they have a facility in Georgia as well as the one out here in Corona, California.  They ship promptly and in my opinion the Randolph is well worth the slight extra trouble to order.  Their phone number is 877-477-7823.

Bill Byles
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 12:28:19 AM »
In case anyone has doubts about Bill's qualifications, he is a full-scale aerobatic pilot, qualified A&E and professional aircraft finisher.  Currently involved with the rebuild of Dago Red.  He also is a rather nice guy, and one heck of a flyer of CL aircraft (like Nat's competitive).  Also just completed an MBA program!  Way to go, Bill!   #^
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Robert Schroeder

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 02:24:42 PM »
Bill,

Check the Randolph web site.  You may find a source closer that Ga.  Also fwiw, Th distributor in Columbus, Oh. from where I buy mine can send gallons without the haz-mat charge.
Bob from NWO:  If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!
AMA 15083

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 07:06:35 PM »
Bill,

Check the Randolph web site.  You may find a source closer that Ga.  Also fwiw, Th distributor in Columbus, Oh. from where I buy mine can send gallons without the haz-mat charge.

Randolph Aircraft Coatings is now wholly owned by Consolidated Aircraft Coatings, Inc. located in Riverside, CA.  Consolidated is the umbrella corporation that owns Poly-Fiber Aircraft Coatings, Randolph, and the Ceconite Process for covering full-scale airplanes.  Aircraft Spruce & Specialty Co., with facilities located in Corona, CA and Peachtree City, GA (near Atlanta) is a dealer for Randolph products.  There are, of course, other dealers for Randolph products; Aircraft Spruce is just the largest.

Also, Bill Little lives in North Carolina, not too far from Georgia.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 09:43:18 PM »
I too have dealt with Aircraft Technical up in Ohio and they were great to deal with, quite happy to help model builders. At the time they said they could mix all the Randolph colors as well as the older "Classic Aero" colors that Poly Fiber made before they acquired the Randolph line. Apparently any of the dealers can do this as they are noted as "tinting dealers" on the Randolph Aircraft Products web site. I know Tex Air near me can do both, even in Nitrate if I wanted to pay the cost. Go to the web site and you will find where all the U. S. dealers are located.
Don

Offline Robert Schroeder

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 05:57:09 PM »
Billy, you're right!  Ga. is closer than Ohio.  I hadn't checked the website and forgot there was a distributor in Ga.

Don,  Yes, the distributor in Ohio totally impressed me and service was quick.  I didn't ask about special colors.  I just ordered stock colors but they did send me color chips of both Randolph and Certified and a sample of Poly Fiber.

Bob
Bob from NWO:  If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!
AMA 15083

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here