News:

• April 26, 2024, 02:45:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dents in silkspan/dope  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Dents in silkspan/dope
« on: May 15, 2023, 02:23:47 PM »
So, I put some dents into my nice doped wing.  The picture makes them look better than they really are.  This is silkspan over an open bay, painted with Sig & Certified butyrate dope, bottom to top.

Is there a way to take the dents out?

AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Dents in silkspan/dope
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2023, 03:23:57 PM »
My finishes are not anything to write home about, or anywhere else for that matter, but I have "sort of" removed some dings by injecting a very small amount of water under the ding then using a monokote iron to heat it.  Got the idea from removing benchmarks in raw balsa before covering.  Dings in polyspan respond to heat as well, as does MonoKote.  Plan "B" is a well-placed decal over the Boo Boo.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2023, 06:08:00 PM »
My finishes are not anything to write home about, or anywhere else for that matter, but I have "sort of" removed some dings by injecting a very small amount of water under the ding then using a monokote iron to heat it.  Got the idea from removing benchmarks in raw balsa before covering.  Dings in polyspan respond to heat as well, as does MonoKote.  Plan "B" is a well-placed decal over the Boo Boo.

Ken

There is no "under" under the ding -- it's over an open bay.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2023, 08:35:55 PM »
There is no "under" under the ding -- it's over an open bay.
Plan "B"

Ken

I have racked my brain for another solution that does not end up looking worse than the ding.  I assume you have tried damp heat.  Maybe some tauting clear in the dent to soften it up followed by a blast from a MonoKote gun.  Too bad it is not pollyspan.  Anyway, Top -  Put a little "No Step" sticker over it.  Bottom - ignore it.
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2023, 09:08:10 PM »
Plan "B"

Ken

I have racked my brain for another solution that does not end up looking worse than the ding.  I assume you have tried damp heat.  Maybe some tauting clear in the dent to soften it up followed by a blast from a MonoKote gun.  Too bad it is not pollyspan.  Anyway, Top -  Put a little "No Step" sticker over it.  Bottom - ignore it.

Moist heat was the first thing I was going to try without feedback.
AMA 64232

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 12:49:46 AM »
If I were you I would fill up an airbrush with 60/40 thinner/clear dope and fill the dents with clear, let dry, sand and then polish.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 06:49:21 AM »
So, I put some dents into my nice doped wing.  The picture makes them look better than they really are.  This is silkspan over an open bay, painted with Sig & Certified butyrate dope, bottom to top.

Is there a way to take the dents out?

Tim - Overall where is this.  The picture leads you to believe it is at the flap joint on the outboard bottom.  And, a little off subject, what is the screw for.  I am always fascinated by innovative ways to adjust flaps.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2023, 08:15:46 AM »
Tim - Overall where is this.  The picture leads you to believe it is at the flap joint on the outboard bottom.  And, a little off subject, what is the screw for.  I am always fascinated by innovative ways to adjust flaps.

Ken

That's a radio hatch on a scale plane whose throttle is run with a 2.4GHz radio.

AMA 64232

Offline Miotch

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2023, 09:04:27 AM »
I have one in the side of my current build where my son picked it up over an open bay.  I've decided to live with it or put a sticker over it.  Whenever I try to fix a minor problem, I almost always create a major problem.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2023, 11:00:00 AM »

Whenever I try to fix a minor problem, I almost always create a major problem.
Words that should be on a plaque over every workbench!  y1

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2023, 01:22:54 PM »
Very late reply...just brush or blow on a coat of clear dope-will shrink right up.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Miotch

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2023, 08:52:39 AM »
I looked the other day and the one I had on the fuselage of my plane finally just pulled itself smooth.  Nature can fix almost anything better than I can.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2023, 12:52:27 PM »
Dope shrinks until it's too brittle to do anything but crumble-sometime that's for years.  A little heat application,  perhaps just setting the airplane in the sun or a hot car for a few hours will pull out many dents and wrinkles.  When it becomes too dry to shrink much an application of a little fresh dope will reinvigorate the old dope some and make it shrink more.  You can also give new life to old covering the same way.  A coat of well-retarded and thinned clear will soften the finish and give it another life in most cases.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2023, 01:35:20 PM »
I’d try in order:
1. A brief touch with a Mono Kote iron
2. A dab of tautening dope