• May 05, 2024, 08:42:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: decals  (Read 1321 times)

Offline scott matthews

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
decals
« on: December 12, 2010, 08:21:09 AM »
Hello everybody. I'm getting close to finishing my model and was wondering if water based decals will stick to monokote? Plus do you have to put something over them to protect them from fuel any help would be appreciated. thanks Scott

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
Re: decals
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 04:20:12 PM »
Well I have used them on MonoKote with no problems -- you do have to coat them with something like Krylon crystal clear before you place them in the water (that is if you are using an ink jet printer)

John
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 06:13:56 PM »
I think in the long run you would be better off with peel back decals (stickers) or else hand cut trim from Monokote.  Not "Trim Monokote", just more regular iron-on Monokote.

Fuel proofing water slide decals takes a good coating of really fuel proof clear, and putting that on top any iron-on is questionable at best.

These planes, finished in Mono with Mono trim have lasted a long time for me.  
Excpetions; the indian head, FAI, and Smilin' Jack are computer printouts with FasCal over them.
Paul Smith

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 08:33:31 PM »
I wasn't able to get them to stick to Monokote. They'd just peel off unless they were coated (including the Monokote).
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 09:49:18 PM »
I wasn't able to get them to stick to Monokote. They'd just peel off unless they were coated (including the Monokote).

HI Randy,

Are you talking waterslides?  If so, what brand paper were you using?

On the ALSP printer (MD 5000) it is general practice to coat the sheet after printing anyway.  I use anything clear that will not wrinkle when the top coat goes on (with a painted finish).

Thanks
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 12:55:05 PM »
Bill,

Not coating the decal. I put decals on my original Ringmaster Deluxe. They keep peeling off in flight. Sigh.

I tried a bunch of stuff. putting down decal sealer, softening agent, etc. Even tried the Windex idea used when attaching Monokote trim. Eventually the decal would just peel off. On the new RMD, I covered it with Coverlite and put on decals and shot the whole plane with catalyzed polyurethane. No problem through a whole season.

I know Alan Brickhouse got decals to stick to transparent Monokote with his Olympus, but I don't know how he did it. I think he may have shot the whole thing with a catalyzed topcoat.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline scott matthews

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 02:28:46 PM »
Thanks for the input guy's, but these are the decals that come with a brodak kit so I will just have to trace them onto some monokote trim sheets.Scott

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 09:32:49 AM »
If they are the peel and stick that some Brodak decal are.  Just clean the surface of the Monokote real well.   H^^ 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 06:49:14 PM »
I haven't tried water slide decals on Monokote, but I do use ink jet waterslide decals on dope finishes. I have found that dope makes the best fixitive for them, and seals the decal really well. I just brush dope on before cutting out the decals. After they are applied, I go ahead and dope over them to seal them into the finish. I brush all my finishes, but I am sure spraying would be fine also.
Jim Kraft

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here