News:

• May 09, 2024, 05:33:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cutting through tacked masking film  (Read 614 times)

Offline Greg Hart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Cutting through tacked masking film
« on: February 16, 2014, 09:33:15 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has cut through a design on sticky tacked masking film that was on your planes, (open bays or not) and have done so with cuts in the paint here and there. Is that a problem or would the clear cover it up? Any tips on this application would be nice. Thinking about stepping out of my comfort zone here.
Thanks!
BUY A UKEY AND LEARN

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Cutting through tacked masking film
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 07:42:49 AM »
Greg,
All your masks should be cut before applying them to your plane.  The cuts in the surface are going to show.  A lot of guys get masks made by designing their paint scheme using something like CorelDraw or Adobe Illustrator and getting a sign shop to make the masks using special masking vinyl.  Phil Granderson make all his masks himself as does Mike Haverly.  Chris Cox and I just bought a vinyl cutter for ourselves a few weeks ago.  Your only other option is to get lots of rolls of tape, like 3M "Fineline", and lay out your design with it.
Alan Resinger
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 12:50:10 PM by Alan Resinger »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Cutting through tacked masking film
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 06:27:13 AM »
Greg,
All your masks should be cut before applying them to your plane.  The cuts in the surface are going to show.  A lot of guys get masks made by designing their paint scheme using something like CorelDraw or Adobe Illustrator and getting a sign shop to make the masks using special masking vinyl.  Phil Granderson make all his masks himself as does Mike Haverly.  Chris Cox and I just bought a vinyl cutter for ourselves a few weeks ago.  Your only other option is to get lots of rolls of tape, like 3M "Fineline", and lay out your design with it.
Alan Resinger

There is another option.

You could contact Charles at CFC Graphics,

A contributor to the Forum and a Vendor!   ;D
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here