News:

• April 26, 2024, 02:01:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Colored tissue sources  (Read 995 times)

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Colored tissue sources
« on: March 01, 2019, 06:14:49 PM »
Has anyone used a more generic tissue than the Esaki and had success?

Assuming covering solid wood areas, how does the weight of tissue from this place compare to elsewhere?

https://www.storesupply.com/tisse-paper-red-84515.aspx?from=list

Thanks in advance.

R,
Target
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Colored tissue sources
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 10:34:38 PM »
Mr.Chris,

I hate to admit this, but most of my Wido Satan (built from plans on flying lines.org) has Christmas gift recycled tissue paper on it.

I doubt that was what you were looking for, but it is the truth!

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 11:13:17 PM »
Any tissue should work fine on balsa surfaces, but you need wet strength and shrink over open bays.

Next time you go to the doctor, ask him for 5’ of the paper they cover the exam tables with. It is a bit heavier than Silkspan, but otherwise works fine!

Also, leave old model magazines in the waiting room in case a kid shows up. He might like it more than the fashion, golf or fan rags.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 11:26:41 PM »
I bought some Hallmark gift wrapping tissue to try as trim over solid wood on a--choke--free flight sport plane. They have some really nice colors.

I found it wrinkled up pretty good when wetted with dope. The color in the shiny gold tissue will run. I didn't have that problem with the other colors. I've used it on two planes and it was ok for trim.

I suspect it would have issues over open bays based on the wrinkling with each coat of dope. Maybe not. I haven't tried it.

The packages contain 8 sheets of 50.1 cm x 66 cm. I paid $1.99 per package.

I suggest that you talk to Norm Furutani. He probably has good info on this topic.

Dave McSlow

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 12:13:53 AM »
Thanks gents. The fact that seems like a few have tried other sources makes me feel better.
I might try the place in the link.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 01:22:43 AM »
I have tried similar-looking tissues (as Esaki Lite-Flite) from arts & crafts stores, but as a rule their colours are not waterproof.
I really like to use Esaki but would like something that fades less in UV-light. Do such exist? L

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 06:36:59 PM »
Depends on the use, but using white silkspan, polyspan or similar looks just great when sprayed with clear dope with a small amount of pigmented dope added. No need for House Of Kolor expensive tints. Looks like clear over dyed silkspan, and weighs much less than a full blown pigmented dope finish, and doesn't fade from UV. It is possible to spray unevenly enough to show "stripes", but it's also possible to make it look very good. Spray in opposite directions...spanwise, then chordwise, repeat. It's easy to put too much pigmented dope into the clear.  n1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 07:51:29 PM »
You can use Higgins ink on any white silkspan or Polyspan Just  get the fade proof ink,
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 02:02:47 PM »
As I said, I'm looking for more UV-proof coloured tissue than Esaki. If such exists. So no for tinted dope. L

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here