News:

• May 07, 2024, 12:55:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Color Question  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Color Question
« on: September 18, 2009, 01:53:38 PM »
I generally use auto toners and mix clear butyrate in to make colors to paint planes with. While this gives you an incredible range of colors to choose from, it also has an odd limitation. I have a paint scheme in which I'd like to use a cream color in. Usually, I just look around while driving and if I see a color I want to use in the passing cars, I look the car up on AutoColorLibrary.com to get the color number and go down to the paint shop to have it mixed up. But cream seems to have fallen out of favor as a color of choice in cars.

Anybody either know the color number for cream (unlikely) or perhaps has a factory cream colored car and can look at the driver's side "B" post and get the color number? Or can you name a manufacturer that is currently offering cream color as an option? Thought I'd found one. Mercedes was offering what sort of looked like cream, but ended up being some sort of complex metallic rose. Not really what I was looking for.

Anyway, thanks for any help.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Color Question
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 06:14:12 PM »
'48/'52 Jaguar "Ivory" looks pretty nice to me.  :-\ Steve

http://tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/acl_files/jaguar48-52.html 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline dave shirley jr

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 10:26:54 PM »
Hey Randy.
the problem with new car colors is they allways seem to have some sort of pearl or metalic in even the simple colors.
try 69 dodge dart or barracuda. they had a cream color that was pretty decent as i recall.
they had a bunch of bright colors available in the early seventies cudas and challengers also. moulin rouge(magenta/pink)also known as panther pink, hemi orange(bright orange),Sub lime(one of my favorites, bright lime green) top bannana(bright yellow,duh)all go well with black accents.but the standard reds,bules, tan etc are nice colors. just please dont do as bad a job as the factory did applying the paint.
I actually have some of the pink and green on some of my stunt planes.(extra paint i had left over).
Dave jr.
I just looked up the color in one of my plymouth books: in 69 or 70 the plymouth paint code is L1, chrysler # AY2EL1, ditzler acrylic enamel #22542 or dupont acrylic laquer #49987. it is called "sand pebble beige"

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 04:02:53 PM »
Thanks guys.

Ya know, this reminds me of computer problems. the second I post a question, either I figure it out myself or see something that answers the question. Right after I posted this, I was in the parking lot of a grocery store and saw a 1968 Chevy II painted the exact cream I wanted. I asked the guy if it was the original color and he said it was the original paint (in perfect shape). I got the color number off the door. Turns out it's what they called Butternut Yellow. Color number 81500 (Dupont).

I'm thinking red, cream and black for my Colossus.

Cool.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 04:28:25 PM »
RANDY
how about you paint the plane your building before you paint the Colussus,, shees,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 04:32:44 PM »
What a coincidence! I'm always looking at trucks as ideas for colour schemes. I'm on the road all day, and living near the coast, I see a lot of continental trucks coming into England with fascinating colour schemes. The trucks that take my eye just recently are a cream and mid blue. I suppose I should be looking where I'm going really! LOL ;D

"No matter how far you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery"
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline dave shirley jr

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 06:03:41 PM »
"BUTTERNUT YELLOW"
ah come on randy, you can certainly use that color but please dont refer to it as "my butternut airplane"
Just call it super sport nova cream or something like that. ;D
Dave jr.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 08:31:09 AM »
Mark,

I already told you, the new plane is going to be white. No trim, not ink, no nothing. Just a white plane ... if I put color on it at all.

I've already started the Colossus. It will get color.

Dave,

Hey, I didn't name it. But it's not yellow. It is certainly (at least to my eye) cream.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 05:22:40 PM »
Mark,

I already told you, the new plane is going to be white. No trim, not ink, no nothing. Just a white plane ... if I put color on it at all.

I've already started the Colossus. It will get color.

I know you told me Randy,, I haven't seen it painted yet though,, so,, it remains to be seen,, I guess its a good thing to wait till the Bats hibernate before you paint it anyway,,,, n~
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 08:29:17 PM »
Mark,

Actually, I've been thinking ...

Always a dangerous thing.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Ken Neubauer

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 07:52:58 PM »
Randy--Try Rustolium Antique White   Ken

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 09:00:35 AM »
Randy,  now you know what keeps happening to me.  When I start thinking I get into all kinds of trouble.  But, how does one stop thinking?  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline dave shirley jr

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 06:36:08 PM »
Hey Doc
pretend your teenager again that should help, it seems alot of them aren't thinking most of the time. LL~
(sorry matt I'm sure this doesn't apply to you)
Dave jr.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 11:02:43 PM »
Well, I can tell you that after weighing the new plane tonight (all put together ready to fly in frame), the finish will have to be simple and light. It can't stand much more weight if I want to keep it under 60oz (that's the goal).
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here