News:

• May 05, 2024, 08:01:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: color dope on plastic  (Read 582 times)

Offline scott matthews

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
color dope on plastic
« on: April 03, 2011, 03:08:13 PM »
I bought a red plastic spinner from brodak and the color is clashing with the red that I used to paint the nose of my plane. I want to know if brodak color dope will melt this plastic if painted and do I need to rough up the surface to help it stick or prep it in any other way.I will try to post some pictures when finished, I figuare I owe a lot of you for giving me good advise along the way of building this plane.Scott

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
Re: color dope on plastic
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 03:42:06 PM »
I think dope on plastic is a no-no but I'm sure there are other paints that will work....But be careful if your using nitro...

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: color dope on plastic
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 05:59:28 PM »
I would not be worried about the dope attacking the spinner, as the plastic spinners are usually some form of nylon. I would be concerned about the paint not sticking very well. If you must paint a plastic spinner, buy a new one in white (easier to get the right color of red painting over white) wash it with dish soap, then scuff it up with 400- 600 sandpaper before painting. You could even test/practice on the "wrong" color red one first.Try not to get raw fuel on it, and don't let an electric starter anywhere near it. Or you could opt for a contrasting color plastic spinner, or a nice shiny aluminum spinner. For that matter, auto paint on an aluminum spinner would probably work best.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here